Thread: semi-auto reciever transfer

Feedback Score

Default semi-auto reciever transfer

What are the laws regarding a semi-auto receiver transfer from a private individual to another? I see two scenarios. The receiver is a made by an individual from a flat and is transfered or the receiver is bought by someone from a corporation like DCI and then transfers it to someone else. Is this legal?

The opposite.. if I own a receiver who could I sell it to?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A commercially made receiver that was purchased through an FFl is like any other firearm, you can buy or sell it as a private sale to anyone within your own state. Out of state shipment would require it go through an FFL on the receiving end. That's Fed laws, some states have restrictions on private sales and require you go through an FFL.

Homemade receivers made by unlicensed individuals are a can of worms. Technically, you could sell it just like any other if you were to stamp the required manufacturers info onto it (name, city, state, caliber, and serial#) but if you make a receiver for the purpose of selling it you must be licensed. The only reason an unlicensed individual can make a firearm or receiver is for personal use. With an assembled rifle, it can be used and then sold and most people would accept you built it for your own use then needed cash, didn't want it anymore, etc. An unused receiver OTOH is a tougher sell on the personal use issue. There are also liabilty issues, there is a reason firearm manufacturers have multi-million dollar insurance policies. Most dealers are not up on the homemade receiver regs and issues, so they just refuse to deal with them at all.

bsn
    Feedback Score

If it is a flat made into a receiver you can not transfer it unless you are a licenced MFG. if you build it into a complete gun and then later decide to sell it can be done but don't make a habit of it. If it is a 100% receiver treat it the same as a firearm.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink
    A commercially made receiver that was purchased through an FFl is like any other firearm, you can buy or sell it as a private sale to anyone within your own state. Out of state shipment would require it go through an FFL on the receiving end. That's Fed laws, some states have restrictions on private sales and require you go through an FFL.
    I didn't realize that out of state shipments had to go through a FFL. I've never sold any of my firearms. What if I give a firearm to a relative out of state does this need to go through a FFL?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yep, if he is a resident of another state the gun has to be shipped to an FFL in his state of residence under Fed law. All interstate firearm sales/transfers must normally go through an FFL on the receiving end. There used to be an exception for face to face sales to a contiguous state resident, but I dunno if that still applies anymore.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.