Gunco Forums banner

BATF marking requirements for US made parts

3K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  hagar 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the BATF letter that states that US made parts do not need to be marked to count as 922R compliance parts. I tried search here and came up with nothing.
Thanks

#3 ·
i wish that someone did have this.... its a ongoing discussion on another board as we all have lots of parts that are not stamped US made....

#4 ·
AFAIK, the general belief is that the onus is on the BATF to show that the parts are NOT US made, and since there appears to have never been a 922(r) case brought by the BATF, no one's disputing that.

I've searched through a number of US Codes and the BATF site and have found nothing. Maybe a respectful letter to them would clear this up?

#5 ·
i was sort of thinking about buying a stamping set from harbor freight tools and stamping usa on my slant muzzle breaks. once its dura coated i doubt anyone would be able to tell. i mean it wouldnt be usa made perse but it would be made into usa. think it'd fly? with no problems? worst comes to worst i bought it at a gun show... right. as long as it says usa people shouldnt question.

#7 ·
the C from century is one of those things that while at least its an attempt.... doesnt really prove anything either.

its like my new cetme stock set... it was made for me by an amish fellow. he didnt stamp it US made, and it looks damn near perfect to the original set (just a little better finish) how would i ever prove that?

#10 ·
Is your shop in the US? ;) Whether homemade or commercially made, as long as a countable part was US manufactured it counts as a compliance part.

#14 ·
Big Al is probably spot on here..... if they are after you for compliance parts then they will probably get you for something one way or another. lol

#19 ·
Do you have a link to the letter? Inserting a mag is a special case, a part that people "install" or "assemble" all the time. Wouldn't a mag need to be witnessed as being assembled onto an AK for it to be declared as having been assembled by a person?

The point is, possession of a non-compliant firearm isn't specifically denied. It might be interesting to see how a court would treat possession without proof of assembly. But not by me, all my AK's are either in parts or legal WRT 922(r) :)

#20 ·
same here.... all my builds are compliant.. AK's,stens,ppsh, MG42,53,DP28,CETME & most of my other builds that dont even have to be are there just for arguments sake.

#24 ·
Since "they" are trying to say that gun smithing is "manufacturing" as in modifying a weapon is manufacturing IE restocking, re-bluing, scope block mounting etc. With that being their idea wouldn't modifying ie touching up, taking the "burrs" off of gun parts, refinishing, make nicer, etc, be manufacturing? I can see alot of parts in my parts boxes as being US manufactured following their kind guidance!!!!!

#27 ·
Unfortunately, forum membership doesn't make the laws, and they're sure not gonna help you with your lawyer bills.

The ATF sent a letter saying that the part would have to change function to count as "US Made".

For example, taking a Romanian trigger and reshaping it for crisper release, would not be countable as a US made part ( because it's still a trigger ).

Taking a Romanian G buttstock and cutting pistol grips out of it would get you US made pistol grips ( because pistol grips are obviously not buttstocks ).

#26 ·
So if you have a preban foreign made semi-auto,(imported in assault weapon configuration, I think!) would it have to be converted to 922 compliant to be legal, or is it grandfathered?
Not under Federal law. CA is a different kettle of worms altogether. Ask AG Brown.

Regards,

Walt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.