Gunco Forums banner

Dragunov vs. Tigr...

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  AnimeFanatic5602 
#1 ·
What's the difference and why is one illegal to import and the other not?

Or are they both illegal?

Honestly, I'm confused...

I've seen the Chinese Drags go through GunBroker a few times, and then I've seen the "Tigr" go through a few times, both for a similar price, and neither too often...

Anyway, since I'm destined to add one of these to my collection sooner or later (hopefully sooner than later), I've got to ask...

What are the import restrictions on the Dragunov? If I recall correctly, they're outright banned from importation...

What are the import restrictions on the Tigr? It's my understanding that they're legal to import, though I could be wrong... What is the difference between Tigr and Dragunov?

I do believe the difference to be totally cosmetic, however if I were to own one, I'd buy different (authentic wood) furniture and the FSB with muzzle device... Hopefully before it's illegal to install said devices again...

So, is there a company importing the Tigr? What am I looking to spend on the rifle? On the original style furniture? On the muzzle device?

Is there any online store where I could price this out?

Thanks,
- CK

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. Answered most of my questions...

Still have some questions though...

Is the Tigr banned from US importation?

Izhmash shows the current Tigr variant to be pretty much the same as the SVD. 24" barrel, smooth receiver cover, same muzzle device, etc. etc. etc. Would be the version I'd go with.

Follow-up question...

Why hasn't someone tried to remove the bans and restrictions on these weapons??? Just the fact that Russians are allowed to own these weapons and we're not kinda puts things into perspective, I'd think...

Thanks,
- CK

#5 ·
So wait... If the Crime Bill signed by Clinton bans the importation of non-sporting firearms from Russia and China, then how does the Saiga work around this??

Clearly the Saiga is only an AK with a few minor (and easily undone) cosmetic camouflages, including the shotgun versions... Also clearly the Tigr is an SVD with a few (even fewer) cosmetic camouflages, and is also marketed by Izhmash as a "hunting/sporting" rifle...

Wouldn't it be 100% legal to import Tigrs, the same way it's 100% legal to import Saigas?

Or am I (and all of us) missing the law where it clearly states that SVD/Dragunov, and all of its clones (this would include the Romak-3) are banned from importation to the USA?

If there is no law, how can one go about getting a shipment of Tigrs to the US? ;)

Also, has anyone (like DSA or someone with an assembly line) tried to contact Izhmash about a possible profit sharing for blueprints and a US market?

I dunno, I'm just one of those people who want the 'real deal' (not some Chinese garbage), but doesn't want to pay upwards from 8 grand and wait for someone with an authentic 1/700 to put theirs up for sale... There's GOTTA be a way we can get Tigrs at least! I mean, it's America, land of the Free! Fuck, the RUSSIANS can own Tigrs and we can't! New Zealanders can own Tigrs and we can't! It just chaps my ass. :\

If someone could post the active law that states Tigrs cannot be imported, I'll shut up, swallow my pride, and see what we can do to get it repealed... But until then, I'm going to continue to salivate, and see what I can do to get Tigrs into the US...

- CK

#6 ·
I don't really see why imported SVD and Tiger Dragunov rifles aren't allowed as "hunting or sporting rifles" except as a bias based on cosmetic variables. I would say that maybe 3/4 of the price paid for a "legal" Russian/Chinese Dragunov is simply a collectors premium. I would love to see them inported again. However, I seriously doubt we will ever see that day.

- Black Blade

#7 ·
Another question...

Why hasn't anyone tried to get cloning permissions from Izhmash? What about varying clones? Why hasn't someone copied this rifle and manufactured it? :\

IMO, Izhmash would make some good cash if they did some sort of profit sharing with an American company who would manufacture an SVD/Tigr clone...

- CK

#8 ·
If you check the munitions list (what can and can't be imported) on the ATF website, the Tigr isn't included, and I've actually written to them on the subject. Because the ATF doesn't accept email, the only way to contact them is by letter. Since the munitions list can be amended, what I propose is that we get as many people as possible to write to the ATF, and ask that the list be changed to include Tigr rifles as well. There's no real reason why we shouldn't be able to get them, and it's only the narrow-minded legislation left over from the Clinton years that prevents it.

I know that it's a bit of a pain to actually sit down and write a letter in today's digital age, but it would definitely be worth it. Remember, the voice of the many outweighs the voice of the few. If we manage to drum up enough support, I'm sure that we can make it happen eventually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.