Gunco Forums banner

AWB Battle Coming SOON !

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  mija 
#1 ·
http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2009/01 ... ttack.html

Monday, January 05, 2009
Storm Warning! Obama Will Attack...
Apparently I was wrong in my thinking that the Dems had been burned enough times on the gun issue that they'd wait until at least after the 2010 midterm elections before sticking their toe back into the parana pool.

Sources from Washington are telling me that President-Elect Obama may move forward on an Assault Weapons/Magazine Capacity Ban ASAP — maybe as soon as later this January.

http://www.shootingwire.com/

Jim Shepherd at the SHOOTING WIRE is this morning also reporting similar rumors. This from Jim:
Despite the new administration's insistence that jobs and the economy will be the top priority beginning January 20, insiders say payback to the NRA and other pro-Second Amendment groups is high on the agenda. Democratic advisors say the Republican party is "disorganized, disheartened, and dissolving" and it's a good time for the incoming administration to take them on in a core issue - the assault weapons ban is one of three topics they're evaluating.

If the AWB is chosen, everyone expects a pitched battle with no quarter given.

If the attempt to pass this drastically-expanded AWB succeeds, the administration will have proven itself virtually unbeatable in matters of policy. They will also further fracture the Republican party and simultaneously serve notice on any pro-gun Democrats that they'd better get with the new program, too.
Here is the insider reasoning as explained to me:
1) Obama has taken a beating from the moonbat Left since they learned they elected the third Clinton administration instead of the Messiah; he needs to do something to rebuild his left-wing cred.
2) He has no, or very limited moves, on the economy; he can't raise taxes in the face of this brutal recession; it's awkward to pull troops out of a war that's apparently won; global warming has fallen off the radar as the snow continues to pile up...he needs a big flashy move, and we may well be that move.
3) The Republicans are disspirited and disorganized. The Blue Dog Dems are less likely to band together this early in his administration against an Obama move, lest they open themselves to a flaying by the faithful. The one Western Dem who might have proved a rallying point, Ken Salazar of Colorado, was tapped to head the Department of the Interior and taken out of play.
4) The gun lobby is as weak now as it is ever going to be during Obama's administration.
5) Obama has the opportunity to woo the few remaining Bush Republicans — remember, Bush always said he'd sign a new AWB — that a new AWB is "common-sense legislation."
6) Sources close to the Obama Transition Team acknowledge that a new AWB would burn a huge amount of political capital, but it will "drive a stake in the ground" to prove Obama means what he says about "change" regardless of consequences.

We can assume a huge spin-up from Brady and the VPC, with their fellow travelers in the MSM, leading the charge. On our side, the industry is moving at warp speed to finish preparations for the upcoming fight. At the very least, this is going to cost a fortune. If you are not now a member of the NRA, join. And be ready to open your wallets...yes, there's a recession and we're all hurting, but that is exactly what our enemies are betting on!

end quote.

So anyone still thing the incoming dems can't multi-task?

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah, but try telling people that - including many gun owners who say that the Messiah will be "too busy" to sign apiece of paper reinstating the AWB. They just don't get it and of course will will be subjected to their whining and sniveling about how they didn't get their guns and ammo before the axe fell. We saw all this before and yes, history does repeat (over and over). Two quotes come to mind:

Einstein's quote about Insanity: "...doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

“Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it” - George Santayana

Then again I have a nice stash of rifles already and am accumulating more semiauto handguns and cases of milsurp ammo before this perversion on America occurs.

- Black Blade

#4 ·
Loo, the NRA certainly IS NOT the answer, in fact-they seem more REACTIVE than ever, as opposed to proactive when it comes to laws and law suits.
I have been touting NRA sentiment for years and have become VERY disenfranchised with them of late.
EVERYTHING that is happening, or that will happen, is a DIRECT result of Americans that OWN firearms, but refuse or are too complacent to care about these infringements on our rights.
Laziness.
Motivate your friends,family and elected officials to STAND UP!
If EVERY SINGLE gun owner in America spoke up-what do you think would happen?

#5 ·
I think the future of our country lays in our hands,the gun owners and the second.If they told me I could have my children back if I give up my rights to have them,(guns)I think my children will understand.:soldier:

#7 ·
Sad as it may seem - a huge number of hunters believe no one should have AK47's or AR15's. I've heard many of them at gun shows say "Obama doesn't care about my deer rifle - he just wants to get those damned assault rifles off the street - who needs those things anyway!" I can't wait to see the dumb look on their faces when the liberals say "what we're worried about are those deer rifles with telescopic sights that can be used as sniper rifles and can kill at over 600 yards!" It will happen just as it did during the Rodney King riots when people needed AK's to protect their businesses. I'm sure the libs will get their way with the AK's. I'm just concerned with how far the new bill will go.

#8 ·
"I'm just concerned with how far the new bill will go."

Any AR-15 type, any AK-47 clone, and any magazine over 10 round capacity will be classified as a machinegun or machinegun part. There will be other “assault rifles” included. Anyone caught with one of these machineguns or parts, after the turning in of a grace period, will be arrested as a felony, and there goes your 30-06 bolt action deer rifle. Now, I’m concerned if this will include NFA SBRs. It more than likely will. If you don’t have an NFA MG tax stamp permit, a LEO badge, or a FFL/SOT licenses, it is going to be sad.

#11 ·
"I'm just concerned with how far the new bill will go."

Any AR-15 type, any AK-47 clone, and any magazine over 10 round capacity will be classified as a machinegun or machinegun part. There will be other “assault rifles” included. Anyone caught with one of these machineguns or parts, after the turning in of a grace period, will be arrested as a felony, and there goes your 30-06 bolt action deer rifle. Now, I’m concerned if this will include NFA SBRs. It more than likely will. If you don’t have an NFA MG tax stamp permit, a LEO badge, or a FFL/SOT licenses, it is going to be sad.
I doubt it will include NFA stuff.

#16 ·
He's right.

That POS got a pathetic 64 or so co-sponsors last year.
Dead on arrival.

The bill that would have lifted the import ban on AK barrels got 225 co-sponsors. That means over half of the House backed the ATF Reform & Modernization Act last year.

We can still win this thing.

#15 ·
HR 1022 languished in committee, even the Dems realized pushing that bill forward was political suicide. 37 States have shall-issue CCW laws in place, sending a message to Congress that self-defense is a high priority with the U.S. citizenry.

What I fear is that the proposed draconian bills are being used to shock the public, allowing Congress to pass what will then *appear* to be a watered-down gun control bill that sets the stage for increasing control. It's not about guns, it's about control.

#18 ·
Future bans are a fact, look at our past. Im not trying to be pessimestic, I feel that we allshould get involved for sensible laws. They can rarely outright ban anything, and they realize this and are patient. They chip away one brick at a time walling off our self defense rights.
While we are opposing unjust laws we better stock up for "lean times"
In the 50's my father told me these days would arrive. He taught me well then, I am ready now.

"Semper Paratus" eg. always ready

#19 ·
I've been an NRA member for 45+ years, and it does seem that they are soft on many issues. Soft or not, you can equate the organization to the best damned hunting dog you ever had. If the dog got sick, you doctored him. You didn't turn him out.
If you don't agree with the NRA get vocal about it, become a voting member, lose some sweat and blood for the organization.
It is a fact that it isn't perfect but what the hell has been for the last 50 odd years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.