Gunco Forums banner

possibly moving to massachusttes

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  windermike 
#1 ·
i'm a georgia resident and my wife is from mass will it be illegal to poses the fire arms i have obtained in my home state in hers?

#3 ·
CIS: Welcome to Massachusetts!

In 1998, Massachusetts enacted some of the toughest gun control laws in the country. These laws have significantly changed requirements regarding the purchase, possession, carrying, storage, and licensing of firearms. This summary highlights a few of the key points. However, it in no way sets forth all of the obligations and rights of individuals with regard to firearms laws.

Local police departments have the authority to issue gun permits. Such permits include licenses to carry (L.T.C.) and firearm identification cards (F.I.D.). There are two types of licenses to carry. A Class A license to carry allows an individual to purchase, possess and carry large-capacity handguns, rifles, shotguns and feeding devices. A Class A license to carry is the only permit that authorizes a holder to carry a concealed and loaded firearm. A Class B license to carry permits a holder to purchase, possess, and carry non-large capacity handguns and large-capacity rifles and shotguns.

There are also two types of firearm identification cards. Unrestricted firearm identification cards allow for the possession of non-large capacity rifles and shotguns. The restricted version of the card is available solely for the possession of chemical sprays.

Massachusetts gun laws require that all firearms, rifles, and shotguns be stored in a secured, locked container or equipped with a tamper resistant mechanical lock or other safety devices properly engaged as to render the weapon inoperable by unlawful users. Moreover, every firearm and large capacity weapon sold in the Commonwealth must be equipped with a safety device (trigger lock) designed to prevent its discharge by an unauthorized user.

New residents have 60 days to obtain proper licenses. Non-residents may obtain temporary licenses to carry through the Firearms Record Bureau in order to possess and transport firearms through the Commonwealth. All non-residents must comply with all Massachusetts laws regarding transportation and storage while in the Commonwealth.

No one may possess, transport or store any type of gun in a building or on the grounds of any school without prior authorization by the board in charge of the school.

For more information please contact your local police department or:

Firearms Records Bureau
Criminal History Systems Board
200 Arlington Street, Suite 2200
Chelsea, MA 02150
(617) 660-4780
Criminal History Systems Board (CHSB) - Executive Office of Public Safety

To check for any criminal records, contact:

Criminal History Systems Board
Executive Office of Public Safety
200 Arlington Street, Suite 2000
Chelsea, MA 02150
(617) 660-4600
Fax: (617) 660-4613
Criminal History Systems Board (CHSB) - Executive Office of Public Safety

#5 ·
I lived there for a couple of years be prepared for all types -They Talk fast- They Have forgotten that there are R's in the alphabets - They may not like that you have deadly self thinking killing machines that will jump at the chance to (NOT THINK OF THE CHILDREN) and cause you to lead poison the complete state with your disregard (1 Box) of ammo per decade law.

Other then that they really think they know how to drive better then Nascar.

Hope this helps.

#6 ·
lol, Mass Pike traveling east to Boston during rush hour FTW ;)

Some of the scariest times of my life were spent on that damned highway!

And don't forget the rotaries. The bravest man wins!

#7 ·
A few sites that you will find of help:
MOVING to Massachusetts? Read Here First!!

GOAL Massachusetts. Gun Owners Action League The Official MA. State Firearms Association Of The National Rifle Association

http://www.goal.org/Documents/law_faq_pdfs/newres.pdf

One of the biggest problems you'll find is that every local police chief issues the permits; there is no "shall issue", and no state preemption. Some towns will issue to anyone who has no disqualifiers; in others nobody gets one. Generally the further from Boston you get, the easier it is to get a permit.

There's a list showing which towns are good and which are problems, Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

#13 ·
Many people commute from New Hampshire to Boston Mass. I had several employees that did this.

Many also rented small flats and/or rooms and worked during the week. Drive in and/or train Monday morning and leave Friday evening.

New Hampshire is whey more weapons friendly compared to Mass.

#14 ·
Holy crap, man people say California is bad, but Massachusttes is worse than we have it.

#15 ·
Sorry but I really had to resurrect this thread.
I too might have to move to Massachusetts at some point in the future. I grew up there, though, and now live in a free state down south. My parents still live there and my dad is a serious gun lover. He's a handgun guy though, and I'm the rebel of the family and love my AK-47's and other assault rifles.
I go up there every few months to visit and we always go shooting. There are some great gun clubs, the best one I know of and highly recommend is the Woburn Sportmen's club, I really recommend joining that one, here's the link:
Woburn Sportsmen's Association

I am currently trying to find out all I can about the assault rifle laws there and whether I can bring my AK's up there.
I know that even though they have a permanent assault weapons ban there are loopholes and grandfather clauses that allow people to have certain ones. I've been to gun stores there recently and the racks were lined with AR's, AK's, FAL's, etc.
Last time I was there was a couple months ago and at the range a guy was showing his super sweet DPMS AR setup and he had hi-cap mags and the whole nine yards for it, so I guess there's some way you can legally have the fun stuff there.
Honestly, Mass. isn't hell on earth for gun lovers. Everytime I go I go shooting and meet other people with cool guns. There's gun shows, cool gun stores, you can even get a concealed carry permit. The liberals and crooked democrats have taken over the mainstream there but there is a strong, strong community of smart gun owners, with plenty of money behind them too.
I feel like the tide has slowly been turning in our favor there. I grew up there, and when I was a kid (I left Mass. in the late 90s) there was no concealed carry allowed, the pistol permits were ridiculously expensive, and you weren't even allowed to use a gun in self defense in your own home! That has changed in the last decade though. Now you can get a CC permit (supposedly it's relatively easy), the possession permits don't have to be renewed as often, and many of the laws have been relaxed more. You can shoot in self defense.
As far as gun-friendly towns, Mass. has a long history of every town being different from the next in many ways, since it's so densely populated. Different towns are havens for different types of people. Brookline and Newton are the two most liberal fascist politically correct towns, don't even think about living there. I know that Belmont, where I grew up (it's only two towns away from Boston) has always issued handgun permits. There's that gun club in Woburn (that's a nice town too), and Reading (pronounced "Redding") has a big gun club too. A couple of the big universities have shooting clubs too.
Mass. just has a lot of people, every different type of person, and lots of them. You'll meet like minded individuals. It's an interesting place with a lot to offer. I just wish they would all wise up about guns!
New Hampshire and Maine have waaaaay better gun laws, and NH has lower taxes too. Living in Southern NH and commuting to the Boston area for work is totally doable, it's a 40 minute commute. NH and Maine are beautiful too. Rhode Island might have better gun laws than Mass., too, but I'm not sure of the details. That's another state that you could commute from (in fact most people living there do!).

Btw, not everyone there has the accent!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.