Gunco Forums banner

SBR coming to Michigan!

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  patjsimpson 
#1 ·
On Tuesday, the Michigan Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously approved Senate Bill 610 that would lift Michigan’s ban on the private ownership of short-barreled rifles and shotguns. Short-barreled rifles and shotguns are strictly regulated under the federal National Firearms Act. Therefore, by repealing this longstanding state gun ban, Michigan law would conform with federal law, and align Michigan with more than forty other states that already allow their resident to possess these firearms. Short-barreled rifles and shotguns are subject to restrictive regulations including requiring their buyers to undergo a background investigation, pay a $200 tax and register these firearms with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.
The NRA applauds the Senate Judiciary Committee voting to repeal this gun ban. Since SB 610 is now eligible for consideration on the state Senate floor, please contact your state Senator in SUPPORT of Senate Bill 610.

If you live in Michigan, make sure you contact your senator and let him/her know that your support of them depends on their support of SB 610.
Here's a link to find your senator if you aren't sure:

http://www.senate.michigan.gov/FindYourSenator/byaddress.htm

I want a SBR and I'd like all of you to help me!

See less See more
#4 ·
So should I call the senator for where I used to live in MI? ;) :D

#5 ·
If you would, I'd appreciate it. I have quite a few candidates for SBR paperwork.
I called mine and asked for his support, he informed me that he co-sponsored the bill. I guess I'm the wee-todd on that one. All I ask is for a boys dream to come true: folding stock with a 9 inch barrel.

#6 ·
Yesterday, the Michigan Senate overwhelmingly passed Senate Bill 610 by a 36 to 2 vote. This bill was sent to the state House of Representatives where it has been assigned to the House Judiciary Committee.

SB 610 would remove a longstanding gun ban on private ownership of short-barreled rifles and shotguns. This pragmatic legislation would conform Michigan law to federal law, which already regulates the ownership of short-barreled rifles and shotguns. In doing so, it would also align Michigan with more than forty other states that allow their residents to possess these firearms.

As always, your NRA-ILA will continue to keep you updated on this important piece of legislation as it moves through the House.

#7 ·
Well, Thursday is the day.
All I can hope is that we hardy northerners can break free of the commie states like cali, illinois, hawaii and all the others (I had to un-auto-correct the spelling there, they'll have to bend over before they get a capitalization from me).
I think I've waited long enough.
I'd like to thank the Square and the Single-Stack in advance for popping their legislators with email and calls to help this great cause.

#10 ·
I like a short BBL shotgun's my self, but a Polish PPS 43 semi with a real stock would do nicely instead of my welded stock.

#12 ·
All I know is I have a couple or 12 registered AK pistols quivering to be demilled and rebuilt into SBR's.
A shoulder stock makes a big difference in function.
Plus, one of those AAC 300BO 12" (or whatever it is) uppers would look awfully nice on my LMT lower with a suppressor. Good gravy, the list just keeps growing.

#14 ·
So did it end up becoming law?

#15 ·
Just the signature of the gov away.
He's 100% dollars and cents so if it puts $.01 into the coffer it gets signed.
I'd call it a done deal.
I popped the rivets and demil-ed the receivers on 2 "pistols" right after I saw the info.
It's like a get out of jail free card or escape the retard clause card.
To no longer be lumped in with cali and illinois and maryland (notice the not as easy as you'd think NON caps there) is a blessing as far as I'm concerned.
C'mon Rick, do me proud....

#17 ·
SO, what's the process to build my very own SBR? Send in the paperwork with the cash, wait for the stamp (?) and get building? Which forms are needed?
:woot:

#18 ·
Congrats

Don't send cash, I know you wouldn't do that :D , some say it doesn't matter if you send a check or MO.

Check the sticky in this section, and there's been a few threads about doing the paper work.

#19 ·
Here in Washington we had two bills this session. One for SBR and one for SBS. SBS never made it but SBR did so hopefully come July we will also a little further away from California style laws. It was overwhelming number voted it through so hoping the GOV who in the past has not been so good for gun rights signs it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.