Gunco Forums banner

"Sporting" rifles vs. the evil "assault" rifle

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  kernelkrink 
#1 ·
As a rising gunsmith, I think its best that I learn the difference between the so-called "sporting" rifle and the pure evil "assault rifle." Besides the 6+ U.S. parts, is there anything else I need to worry about? Because I have found an interesting Yugo M70 on apexgunparts.com and they seem to have a few parts kits for sale with bayonet lugs. Is this okay or is this another "evil" feature?

Also, in regards to the short-barreled rifles, I am almost 19, would I be able to make one and pay a tax on it, or would I have to wait another two years because I'm too young to deal with the evil short barreled rifle?

#2 ·
"Assault" rifles are capable of full auto by definition. Modern Sporting Rifles if presented correctly are no more evil than a WWI bolt action any more than a modern car with anti lock brakes, air bags and radial tires compared to a model T. Adjustable stocks allow firearms to be fitted to shooters of various sizes. Modular grip systems allow those with limited range of motion and prosthetics to properly manage a firearm. Muzzle brakes allow those in wheelchairs or otherwise disabled to fire big game rated calibers without fear of being knocked out of their chair. When the MD GA was faced with the ADA implications of banning these "copycat" features they cut the list to folding stocks, flash hiders and grenade launchers.

#3 ·
That is a good explanation hvymax, well stated.
Davyj14 if I was not an old cogger, I would for sure have gotten into the gunsmith trade. Good for you young feller, stay with it. Not being mechanically oriented, it took me forever to get the first AK build up and running.
Are you going to a school for gunsmiths, or apprenticing or both?

#6 ·
Actually I'm learning everything on my own, Its the only option I have right now. And since the SlideFire stocks haven't been banned (yet) like the SB-15 and 47, I might as well begin making plans to get an SSAK for at least one of my builds. My current job I'm not getting ANY hours it seems and I'm searching high and low for a more decent job. Luckily I live in an area with numerous factories, plants, and warehouse jobs. And the bayonet thing was the Clinton Ban right?

#4 ·
The Federal AW ban sunset many years ago, you can add all the evil baby killing features you want if you follow 922(r). The only no-nos you are likely to encounter are full auto, and bbls shorter than 16" for rifles.

Several states have their own version of the AW ban, like NY, Kali, etc. If you live there you have to follow their rules as well. They vary, of course.

#7 ·
dont worry about slide fore stocks an other mall ninja crap . worry about building a good gun first an gaining the skills you need .

If your job dont give you much money to play with a stock that lets you burn up ammo faster is the last thing you want .

#9 ·
The slidefire stock. I've shot an AK with one a few days ago. To say the least, it was hella fun!

#11 ·
The slidefire stock

LOL OK .

Well my advice is worry about getting a good kit an the 922 parts while there is a slight decrease in prices .

AI M70 is OK for a first build bur you want to get a stamped receiver kit not a milled . a M70 cost a bit more to build as they dont use a standard reciver so figure on about $120 or so for a 100$ made recover or your goiung to have to work with bent blank from some one like cold steel solution.

Not knowing your skill level Im going to recommend a NodaK Spud Receiver for a first build . there the best IMO . you will pay a little more but you will get a good receiver .

save your cash for a nice kit an your likely going to need a barrel to need a barrel also.

A rommy or similar klit will be a cheaper an slightly easier build an more barrel choices an a standard AK recover will work an there aremore choices for flats an bent blanks.

Keep in mind your wont save much if any building these days .

#13 ·
922(r) applies to ANY semi automatic rifle or shotgun that would be banned from import. It was created precisely because building a banned rifle on a US receiver was a workaround for the 89 import ban. Companies were importing parts kits and building them on US receivers. The .GOV didn't like this, so they passed 922(r) to eliminate this practice. At the time no one made US replacement parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.