Gunco Forums banner

Need advice on selling my house

651 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Custer 
#1 · (Edited)
I've gotten into a really bad situation with a gang of drug dealers that have taken over one of the businesses near my house. It's a long story and not worth repeating all details here. Let's just say that they are hanging out all night with their bass turned up and revving the motors in their rice rockets. The Twp is trying to help me and my neighbors, but legally their hands are tied and they don't even have a sound ordinance. It's gotten to the point in just 3 weeks where my neighbors and I are being threatened.

I'm done! I'm moving somewhere not so busy where my kids can be more safe. I made the decision today that no matter the cost or what I have to sacrifice there is no need to live where I do anymore.

I've watched a nice working class area of town where people take care of their stuff slowly turn into a crime ridden area just on the other side of the fence in my backyard. Every weekend I have the police helicopters hovering over the house and it sometimes seems I'm kliving in an episode of COPS.

So.... I have bought a house once, but never sold one.

Being the do it yourself kind of guy I have a good idea of what lies ahead of me, but need some advice with the pitfalls like whether to go with a contract for the Realtor or what I should do if someone with FHA makes me an offer, but wants me to fix a zillion things in the house before they will buy it
(I've heard nightmares about this and always wondered why people didn't just say I'm not selling to you)

Any constructive advice are welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
I wish I could offer you some advice Sang, but I'm in the same boat.
The only house I've ever owned, I built in 1981, and I'm still there.

Yikes, I never stopped to think about it, but I've been here 23 years now.
Almost half my life.

On the upside, that means in 7 years, I'll actually own it. LOL

#3 ·
I can honestly say that if I have to sell, I will use a Realtor that I get along with. Frankly after dealing with people all day and paperwork out the wazoo why do I want to do that in my spare time. Further, I like the idea of a buffer between me and the buyer. By that I mean it allows you to counter better and if necessary say the all important word "NO"(its the realtor that gets all the grief). Jeff, you work all day, you don't need this hastle for your time away from work. My recommendation is get a Realtor.

#4 ·
Jack,

I would get a Realtor for sure! My Realtor screwed us when we bought this current house and she was a friend of the family. Looking back on it, don't ever go with a Realtor that starts telling you how different banks around are suing her for lible and she is counter suing.

These are the types of things that I want to avoid in the future. I've heard the stories about getting sucked into contracts with Realtors that don't do anything for you like my neighbors did and they had no walk throughs in 6 months.

#5 ·
Cephus said:
In WV we just have to put up with guys shooting in there back yards. I don't know about the city, Don't go there much. Did somebody say they may get a new job.

Not me Cephus.. I live in a rural part up here too.. There is a tralier court about a mile out past me that is being used as a crack house.. Supposedly the feds are onto it.. But they have to build their case... In the meen time I have to put up with increased traffic, and all the BROTHERS that come out here.. I don't trust any of them.. They saw me wearing my rebel flag t-shirt while mowing grass.. Although the shirt say "heritage, not hate" all they saw was the stars and bars.. Now every time they go out the road, they give me a look like they wanna cause trouble.. Butt they have also seen me outside with a AK..hmmm????

Hey sang!!!

You ever see the movie DEATH WISH IV Charels Bronson really quenched the drug problem in that movie..

#6 ·
SangRun Hunter said:
I've watched a nice working class area of town where people take of their stuff slowly turn into a crime ridden area just on the other side of the fence in my backyard.

You know what causes that don't you?? I'll tell yah.. It is HUD coming into the nice areas and paying for these nice houses, and allowing trash to move in...

#9 ·
Sell that place and move to Kentucky. It is safer over on this side of the river. I still don't care if you can now carry on that side of the river it is still out of control. Cincinnati needs the old school police force back.

#10 ·
Living in the burbs is fine. If you have to work in the city, which I did for over 20 years, make sure you are out the Fountain Square area before dark. Also, who wants to pay 2.1% of your earnings to those clowns running the city today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.