Gunco Forums banner

Rivets for Global 1.6mm Receiver

686 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  hotbarrel 
#1 ·
I just purchased 3 new receivers from Global. being a little thicker than most, and myself being a greenie going into my first 2 builds (bulgie and a polish underfolder), will the rivets in my standard rivet set from global be long enough, or will I need different rivets? (I havent got the receivers as of yet, and I'm curious)
any ideas???:dunno:
Thanks,
Bryan

#2 ·
The outer dimensions of the receiver stay the same, the increased thickness is on the interior of the reciever, so standard rivets will work. But, you must milled down both trunions by .6 mm on each side.

#3 ·
yes... I knew about machining the trunions, and Global is doing the first set, so I have a set to compare to. The rest of them will find themselves to the table of the bridgeport mill where I work. Thanks for the info, Chiroone... and are these receivers any good???? any experiences with them??? Global certainly does offer alot of options, and they have a great reputation, so I figured what the heck... shaving the trunions can't be too horrible (when I have access to the mill)..... can it?

#4 ·
Chiroone said:
The outer dimensions of the receiver stay the same, the increased thickness is on the interior of the reciever, so standard rivets will work. But, you must milled down both trunions by .6 mm on each side.
Make that 0.3 mm on each side. No offense Chiroone, I know what you meant and you know what you meant but someone else might not have. Cheers.

#5 ·
Hoploholic said:
Make that 0.3 mm on each side. No offense Chiroone, I know what you meant and you know what you meant but someone else might not have. Cheers.

NO, make that .6mm EACH SIDE , I just did it that way, and I have the instructions from Global Trades in my hand as I tell you that.

Lets think about this for a second, The receiver is 1.6 mm thick, that makes it stick into the interior of the receiver .6mm more ON EACH SIDE as compared to a regular 1mm receiver.

If any are in doubt call Global trades

#6 · (Edited)
sks_hunter said:
yes... I knew about machining the trunions, and Global is doing the first set, so I have a set to compare to. The rest of them will find themselves to the table of the bridgeport mill where I work. Thanks for the info, Chiroone... and are these receivers any good???? any experiences with them??? Global certainly does offer alot of options, and they have a great reputation, so I figured what the heck... shaving the trunions can't be too horrible (when I have access to the mill)..... can it?

Be careful milling the trunions, very few trunions are true, I tried to have a Polish trunion milled and had a devil of a time due to the rear trunion being slighly torqued.

The receivers are beautiful were it not for all the work need to make them work with standard AK trunions. Don't forget you will also need to widen the grove in the trunions as well, not quite .6mm however, use the scrap piece they send with the receiver as a guide.

Oh yes, almost forgot, you will need to alter the selector a little as well, this is the easiest part of the alterations however.

#8 ·
As long as you can get the edge of the grinder to line up with the notch in the trunnion and stock tang, you'll be okay. Make sure you don't grind off anything above the notch. With a decent grinding machine this shouldn't be a problem. If you're doing it at home, make sure the edge of the grinding wheel is square and lined up with the notch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.