Gunco Forums banner

Honor her in Death

581 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  scubadvr 
#1 ·
Maybe this should be the new rally cry for the Demo's?

Woman's Dying Wish: Bush Defeated
Loved Ones Asked To Donate To Democratic Cause

POSTED: 5:27 pm EDT July 30, 2004
UPDATED: 6:17 pm EDT July 30, 2004

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- A South Florida woman who died this week had an unusual last request. Instead of flower or contributions in her name to a charity, she asked those who loved her to try to make sure President George W. Bush is not re-elected.

Joan Abbey, shown here before her death, wanted most of all to have President George W. Bush lose the November election.

Loved ones said that Joan Abbey was committed to her political passions, even in death.

Abbey was born in Montreal, but lived for many years in Miami Beach and Aventura. Family and friends came from as far away as Canada and California to remember Abbey at the Mount Nebo Jewish Cemetery in Miami.

Abbey, who was a lifelong Democrat, died Monday -- coincidentally on the first day of the Democratic National Convention.

Her sister, Tillie Shapiro, said, "She was just a caring person ? She cared about people, and people who were disadvantaged."

Abbey was buried the day after the Democratic convention ended. Her unusual death notice in the Miami Herald said: "You can honor Joan's values by voting against George Bush and contributing to a liberal or Democratic cause."

Abbey's nephew, Martin Shapiro, said, "What she cared most about was improving circumstances in this country... getting rid of George Bush and making this a better country for all people."

Coincidentally, the presiding rabbi, Brett Goldstein, is a registered Democrat but is voting for Bush, and he questioned the timing of Abbey's message at such a sensitive time.

"My contention is that if there's any situation that's sacrosanct, it should be devoid of political ramifications," Goldstein said. "Although people have the opportunity and they can do it if they want to, it is not really appropriate at this time."

Shapiro said, "It was her (Abbey's) essence. It was her core value to try to see this country become a better place and become a more just society. And I think that was the last word she'd want to leave."

Abbey did not want her age known. Many friends said she remained forever young in spirit and staunchly committed to her beliefs.

Copyright 2004 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have always wondered how the Jewish vote could align with the Dems. So many of the Dems are anti Jewish and anti Isreal. Bush has taken a stand in the middle east that can only go to help Isreal and freedom for those who have never known its beauty. It seems to me that most of the enemy (terrorists and radical Muslims) hates us but hates the Jews that much more. Is it that the party (Democrat) means more than the survival of the Jewish state? I can't help but think that that with that kind of thought we are going down the path of appeasement again (Hitler was more than enough for me). That same path will only lead to the the enslavement of freedom and the elimination of a class of man kind. I for one will die fighting, not be led to the gas chamber by those that call link the best country in history with satin. They (terrorists and radical Muslims) are the tools of satin. At least I will go knowing I took a bunch of those bastards with me. God Bless America! Jack

#5 ·
Custer said:
Since she is in Florida, she will probably vote for Kerry even though she is dead.
:lol: :rofl: Good one Custer! She probably will!

Jack,

I've wondered the same thing about American Jews and their alignment with the liberals. I have a feeling things might be different this election as many things about the Demo's came out in the wide open over the last 4 years.

#6 ·
SangRun Hunter said:
:lol: :rofl: Good one Custer! She probably will!

Jack,

I've wondered the same thing about American Jews and their alignment with the liberals. I have a feeling things might be different this election as many things about the Demo's came out in the wide open over the last 4 years.

Jeff, from your lips to God's ears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.