Gunco Forums banner

Meltdown at the DUng heap

648 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  sks_hunter 
#1 ·
These people are nuts! Gotta love DU for high comedy! This is one of the many dozen of topics I have seen about boycotting America and self reliance. I thinks it's funny they don't see the irony.

http://www.democraticunderground.co...sg&forum=104&topic_id=2600099&mesg_id=2600099

Campaign to Starve the Beast

After reading a number of threads here over the past two days I?m seeing that many of us have had similar ideas on how to go about taking back our country. For starters, we must indeed ?rage against the machine? :http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.ph...

But behind the voting machines is the lapdog media and our corporate owned government which pulls it?s strings. How do we ?fight? against them? They don?t care if we march on city hall or in front of their stations, brandishing our slogans and signs. They may care a bit more about our letter writing campaigns, but even General Mills give us a big ?fuck off? when we threatened them with a boycott over their support of the Sinclair broadcasting group?s intentions to air ?Stolen honor?. No, this is the time to take action by not buying any of it any more.

And I mean NOT BUYING ANY OF IT.

Profits are the motivation behind most of BushCo?s misdeeds, corporate profits are what keep the lapdog press barking out pro-BushCo propaganda 24/7. The only way to defang the corporate beasts is to cut into their profits, and redirect our funds elsewhere. Here are some ideas from a number of DUers on how to do just that:

* We buy only the necessities for ourselves and put the money saved to use by paying off all credit cards (MBNA is a MAJOR GOP contributor, as are most banks) those without debt could consider worthwhile progressive charities. Saving is more important than ever, since social security will likely disappear.

* We boycott holiday spending, or only buy used/ antique goods as gifts. Handmade gifts or those created by progressive artists and craftsmen are another option, as are donations to charities in loved one?s names.

* As for necessities; we buy food from local farmers and grocers, and identify progressive companies for the rest. (A source from thread on edit-I can't find the thread listing repug and progressive owned businesses. Please link if you can find it)) we buy secondhand clothing from thrift shops or retailers that contribute heavily to progressive causes and candidates. We enlist the aid of celebrities in making secondhand ?chic?. We identify the least corrupt petrol companies, we by generic drugs instead of name brands, we shop Costco instead of Sam?s club, etc. We need to know where to buy as much as we need to know where NOT to buy.

* We cancel our cable TV. Yes, this one is tough for some. Consider Netflix instead, or just spend more time on the internet! They?re cheaper and they don?t promote the kind of single minded propaganda you see on television. Besides, most TV series can be rented from Netflix or Blockbuster, commercial free.
On edit: from Liberalmuse:
* Check out dvd's and books from the library instead of purchasing them.

* Boycott many of the large corporate 'entities' that are now dictating national policy and profiteering from war.

* TV is poison. Turn it off. It is an idiot box that will fuck up your mind and priorities in life so that you forget what really matters.

* Start an online purchase and barter/trade system or start online co-ops of sorts that offer us an alternative to giving our money to the corporate slave-masters.

* Recycle everything you can. You will be shocked and disgusted at how much waste you create and it will make you more conscious of your consumer choices.

LM

* We share this idea and our resources with EVERY other Kerry voter we know.

I have always tried to do these things, but found it difficult in the past. Tonight when I went to the grocery, it was easy. I want my country back, so every choice I made was a critical one. I won?t have fresh fruits and veggies until the weekend, when the farmers market opens. I can wait. This time it?s too important to do the right thing. I know I?ll pay for it all personally, because I work for a large corporation. I don?t care if I lose everything; we?ll lose more if we do nothing!!

There are many threads relating to this issue. Can we gather all these resources together into one thread for everyone to bookmark?

Let?s hear your ideas for ?starving the Beast? everyone!

#6 ·
I really like this part, ?the lapdog press barking out pro-BushCo propaganda 24/7? Is this person seeing the same press I do? What I?ve seen for the last year is a concerted effort by the media to screw Bush anyway they can. Even on Election Day, our local CBS affiliate was trying to screw the Republicans, When they ran a news story about how to vote and where they talked about people that had no way to get to the polls. Now both the local Democrat?s and Republican?s had numbers you can call to get a ride, when the numbers were given they only gave the two Democrat numbers and the Republican?s had to find their own somehow, I don?t think that?s ?barking out pro-BushCo propaganda 24/7? do You? And the fact it was CBS again you know the fake Bush papers weren?t a mistake and that it?s a Network wide policy.

#9 ·
Oldgunner said:
I really like this part, ?the lapdog press barking out pro-BushCo propaganda 24/7? Is this person seeing the same press I do?
:rofl: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
You got that right!! Some media watchers are saying Kerry may have gotten a 5-15% advantage from all the slanted press coverage. What also blows my mind is that these folks really believe they are centrist!!

#10 ·
Oldgunner said:
I really like this part, ?the lapdog press barking out pro-BushCo propaganda 24/7? Is this person seeing the same press I do?
I received about a dozen or so telephone calls the week prior to the election. 2 were Bush calls. The rest were in support of the democRATS... and when I started to make a semi-rude or condescending remark before I hung up on them, they tried like hell to spew out any thing they could to keep me on the line to listen to their banter. One person actually called me back.... TWICE!!! the first 2 times I hung up on them, she didn't get the hint. 3rd time around she knew that I had some rather creative ways to tell someone to fuck off. She didn't call back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.