Gunco Forums banner

Teen Abortion OK But Not A Boob Job

949 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  boriswalking 
#1 ·
Teens Should be 18 for Cosmetic Breast Augmentation, ASPS Recommends, Issues Policy on Teenage Breast Augmentation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: National Desk, Health Reporter

Contact: LaSandra Cooper or Brian Hugins, 847-228-9900 or media@plasticsurgery.org, both of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons

ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Ill., Dec. 21 /U.S. Newswire/ -- In light of recent media coverage on the topic of teenagers seeking purely cosmetic breast enlargement, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) has adopted a policy that is consistent with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) approval of saline filled breast implants for women at least 18 years old. The ASPS policy statement gives background on the controversial issue of teenage breast augmentation as well as information on patient selection, informed consent, provider qualifications and recommendations.

"Contrary to popular belief, people 18 and younger make up only four percent of all cosmetic plastic surgery procedures. Although the numbers have increased over the years, teens continue to be a small percentage of the plastic surgery population," said ASPS President Scott Spear, MD. "Nevertheless, the ASPS leadership felt a responsibility to more than just quietly comply with the FDA. We want our members and the public to see how strongly we feel about teenage cosmetic breast augmentation."

The policy details various reconstructive abnormalities that may require augmentation including, congenital errors, trauma or disease. It also explains the challenge that teenagers seeking cosmetic breast augmentation can pose to plastic surgeons. According to the policy, physicians need to determine if their potential patients are emotionally and physically mature enough to have the surgery, understand the surgery's potential risks, benefits and possible complications, and have realistic expectations of what it can accomplish.

Specific recommendations included in the policy are: Adolescent candidates for purely cosmetic breast augmentation should be at least 18 years old. The procedure should be delayed until the patient has sufficient emotional and physical maturity to make an informed decision about cosmetic breast augmentation.

The ASPS document, Policy Statement on Breast Augmentation in Teenagers, is available to the public at http://www.plasticsurgery.org/medic.../commonspot/security/getfile.cfm&PageID=15619 and has been widely distributed to all ASPS members.

For referrals to ASPS member plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and to learn more about cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery, call the ASPS at 888-4-PLASTIC (888-475-2784) or visit http://www.plasticsurgery.org.

---

The American Society of Plastic Surgeons is the largest organization of board-certified plastic surgeons in the world. With nearly 5,000 members, the society is recognized as a leading authority and information source on cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. ASPS comprises 94 percent of all board-certified plastic surgeons in the United States. Founded in 1931, the society represents physicians certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery or The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.

See less See more
#5 ·
Raises an interesting point. I generally think the government shouldn't stick its nose into the question of whether a woman does or does not get an abortion - but if I had a 17 year-old daughter and some doc performed a nonemergency surgical procedure on my daughter (whether abortion, boob job, or appondectomy) without my consent, there likely would be one fewer doc in this world. Suprised that in many, if not most, states minors can get tattoos without parental consent, too.

The potential for abuse of the pregnant kid that underlies policies that parental consent isn't required to get an abortion (hey, there's some sick folks in this world, and it's especially dicey when granddad and dad are the same person) I think needs to be addressed - but perhaps a better way to do it is that a girl could go through a social service agency to gain access to a court to show cause that consent shouldn't be required - as opposed to the current system which simply presumes that consent shouldn't be required.

#6 ·
When things are bad enough you petition the court and get a trustee appointed and make the kid a ward of the court for whatever needs to be addressed or done. This is not new nor is it limited to abortion.

Otherwise, the parents should be in control, not the government.

#7 · (Edited)
Yet again we agree, Custer. Bummer.

EDIT: Got to thinking. This resolves the question of whether parental consent is appropriate if the girl is getting an abortion. This does not resolve the question of whether the girl needs a boob job, though: As my contribution to making it a better world for the children, I will conduct those inspections myself.

#9 ·
Custer said:
You have to first decide if you want to specialize in breast enhancement or breast reduction inspections.

My taste gravitates toward the latter but I doubt I would authorize any.
True stuff, Custer. You ever known a woman who needed breast-reduction surgery? I have. Until she got it, she had horrid chronic back problems.

Tangent from my days as a counselor:
An exceptionally large-breasted woman came to see me, after about 20 minutes she turned away and asked me what color her eyes were. I answered the question correctly, and she told me I'd passed.

#10 ·
Yes, as a matter of fact my wife and I have known a couple of women who did have a medical reason for reduction. They really had to go through some hoop jumping with medical insurance to prove medical necessity (covered) versus cosmetics (not covered).

The first one I ever encountered was my wife's freshman college roomie. When I came down to visit my then girlfriend and met her roomie it was eyepopping. Staggering. And, she was not heavy.
I know the reason was back problems, but I bet a good case could have been made for emotional stress. I leered like anyone else, but as I got to know her, I came to understand her plight. Staring, jokes, whistles, etc.

I would say it was a good 20 years after college before she had it done. Even with reduction, she still had a fabulous figure.

#13 ·
Breast Augmentation for teenager is suitable if they implement natural and herbal treatment. Breast Augmentation. Brest augmentation with herbal treatment with no side effects can be good for them. There are many people who performed breast augmentation and achieve their goals. For more information you can check transfemme for complete teenage breast augmentation guidelines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.