Gunco Forums banner

Blue Crabs..

3K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  2ndAmendican 
#1 ·
What a year we are having down here on the Saint Johns river.
Blue crabs are coming in like crazy.. If I never eat another Blue Crab I will not be upset. I am sick of the damn things already.
We are allowed up too 5 recreational traps per fishing license per household.
I have caught about 100 so far.
Took on a partner in my venture. He is a good ship mate. Works hard.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
If they're anything like the Maryland Blues I used to eat at my cousin's place, I wouldn't mind getting sick and tired of them! God bless you and yer crabs, 4th!

#10 ·
When I was a kid, my brother and I used to get Blue Crabs when our mother would take us to the inter-costal water way. We would use chicken necks as bait, we would just tie a line on with a small weight to keep it on the bottom and wait for the crab to take the bait, then hall them up to the surface and scoop them up with a net. It was great fun for kids but those pinchers were nothing to mess with. My older brother chase me around the yard with the bigger ones if no adults were around.

#14 ·
MMMM crab
I like them as an appetizer or just to snack on, to much work for what you get out of them.

And it's been a long time since I've had a good crab cake, you use to be able to get them around here with a lot of meat but now it's just filler with a hint of crab flavor.

#16 ·
One thing I really miss about being in South Carolina is the blue crabs. We'd go to the 3rd Bn pond on PI with a crab trap and a shrimp net and a case or five of beer and fill our icechests with crabs adn shrimp. Good times.

Was a place on the way to Hunting Island near Beaufort called Johnson Creek Tavern. had an amazing blue crab cake sandwhich.

#26 ·
One thing I really miss about being in South Carolina is the blue crabs. We'd go to the 3rd Bn pond on PI with a crab trap and a shrimp net and a case or five of beer and fill our icechests with crabs adn shrimp. Good times.

Was a place on the way to Hunting Island near Beaufort called Johnson Creek Tavern. had an amazing blue crab cake sandwhich.
I used to love going crabbing when I was a kid. We used to go to Pawley's Island, and/or Litchfield beach area, and go crabbing in the Intracostal Waterway. Man what fun that was.

Now as far as P.I and 3rd Bn, when I was there in the early 80's I didn't have time to go crabbing!!! LOL. Although there were a few guys who had the crabs during First Phase.

#24 · (Edited)
Jeff.. He gave his dead Great Grandmother a ticket the other day.. Dug her up so she would show up in court..
He has a new trick, cammo netting over his boat, damn we can't spot him, sneaky devil.
Bought him lunch and he gave me a warning ticket for leaving Castaways restaurant to fast..
"Jeff I just paid for your damn lunch for Gods sake?"
That is why I am giving you a warning not a ticket..
Were trying to get the drain plug out of his boat and sink it. Bur the son of gun wont get more than 50 feet from it..
He is a trip, he always cuts us breaks, we like Jeff.. :)

#20 ·
Damn, you'll got me hungry dragging out this old thread! Haven't had any crabs in a while. We have plenty of nice crabs down here in the swamp too. I have not fished them in a few years since my traps got stolen.

#21 ·
love them myself first thing i get when in delaware/nj in late summer, old bay is the way ( hay that rhymes) yep chick necks and scraps in a trap with string or at night with a spotlight and hand net with a long pole dad used to catch hundred they love the light any way the extras we would pick the meat and store (freeze it) then use it asa stuffing in fish dinners like stuff flounder( sole, fluke, halibit) enjoy and don't forget the butter

#25 ·
Panama? Not sure what they have for crabs down there..
Were loaded with nice blue crabs here on the Saint Johns.. Damn problem is the thieves.. We put them on the edges of the river so as to keep them away from boat traffic.. Then the SOBs pick them up, steal the crabs, then drop them in the deep middle channel. Gone..
I would smash into them with my boat at about 50 m.p.h., but they hit them at night..
Tourists steal them local red necks steal them, I just go buy some when I want a few..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.