Gunco Forums banner

Post a random picture thread

106K views 900 replies 110 participants last post by  frige 
#1 ·
Every other forum has one of these threads, wonder if it will fly here?

See less See more
#584 ·
My paw had a champ, back in the day too. I remember we went for a ride one day and just after take off the motor sputtered to a stop and we did a landing in an ajoining cow pasture. We left the plane there and went to get some tools to do what ever repairs were needed. On our return we saw about 20 cows gathered around the plane. They had eaten every bit of fabric that they could reach, it looked like a skelaton sitting there, my Dad just about hit filght level 250 when he saw that!~!!! Definatly a moment I'll never forget. I thought he was going to bite off the end of his cigar when he saw what they had done!!! This is a pic of his last plane that he was co-owner of, a B-25, that was a REAL PLANE!! There was also a few good stories that went with that one too. We were going into Burlington Vt airport one time and the port gear wouldn't come down, even with the override pump. After burning off some fuel we did a 2 wheel landing. As Dad was getting out of the emergency escape hatch he got stuck, he had a fairly wide gurth. After about 45 mintes of pulling and tugging on him to get him unstuck the airport fire crew went to the resturant and got a couple tubs of lard and slathered him up and, POP, out he came like a cork outa a champane bottle!!!! With the news cameras rolling!!!!! Reall funny shit and memories I'll never forget. He never did really live that one down, even at the funeral these and many other funney stories were told about him,he was quite a charter. When I was real young he was finishing a major on a Luscomb that he owned. He was bucking some rivets on the wing panel. He had on a home made waist tray that was filled with a bunch of different size rivets, he was standing on a small about 3-4 foot step ladder, as he was pulling the clamps to get the next set of rivets in place he set the air chisel down. Well me beeing a little kid I thought If Dad could use an air riveter I could too. So I picked it up an proceeded to place it on the cheek of his ass, and touched it off!!!!!!!! Man there was rivets flying through the air and every one of the guys in the shop had coffee comming outa there noses. I think he chased me around that hanger about 10 times before he gave up trying to catch me.:bolt: I was scared to death, I think he was madder than when the cows munched the Champ!! I played out in the "bone Yard" in the old planes for about 3 hours before I dared to come back in. By that time he'd had enough ribbing so he couldn't kill me in front of so many witnesses, even though I think he still wanted to. Every time I go to the airport to this very day some of the old timers that are still around still tell that story. And it still gets the coffee flowing!!!I miss ya paw and you'll never be forgotten. Lots of good memories!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.