Gunco Forums banner

Re-birth of a power wagon.

875 views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  dinkydow 
#1 ·
Well some of you old farts wanted some images of the ongoing,down to the last nut and bolt restoration of a 1950's,Dodge M-37,U.S. Army,Truck,Cargo.So I am going to post a couple of images.This is an on-going,frame up restoration,to "as new." All the parts shown have been sandblasted re-built and painted.The frame is built with all the springs,hangers,diff cases,and transfer case (re-built) and installed.The hogs are getting new 4:88 ratios rings and pinions and all new bearings and seals (Waiting on parts).

There is a LARGE steel basket of sheet metal parts that are going out for sandblasting......one of several,we do love our sandblaster and he loves us.This 50+ year old truck is getting a "Split" braking system (a safety up-grade) a brake power booster and 12" disk brakes on the front instead of the "May Stop" internaly expanding shoes.....those might be fine for 50 years ago.....but not today.

I am posting this stuff because there seemed to be some interest from you old X G.I.s.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thats a helluva project ya got there dinkydow. I like to do frame up's on older M/C's myself. Just keeping track of all that goes into a resto project is hard enough with a bike. The thought of all the parts in a Power Wagon just boggles my mind. :w00t1:

Looks great man.

#9 ·
More........?

My buddy A.B. and I take turns with each other on "Projects" like this.If I don't know it......he does.I want a Dodge Power wagon as well,but I might be leaning toward a WWII,WC,Command Car,or a WWII WC (people call them weapons carriers).I have been looking at M-37's as well and have my eye on one.......but I am not ready to get froggy yet on one.I still have the finishing touches to put on a frame up U.S.,M-38 Jeep,(small stuff... really)like the post Assembly top color coats (to color all the nut and bolt heads and the scratches,(I made) where I got stupid putting it back together.This M-37 is VERY complicated.Never had one apart like this,before.

AB can't see where ANYBODY would be interested in looking at images of his M-37 getting the old "Wax off...Wax on" treatment. I have told him many times,that this is a hobby that a lot of fellows would like to know more about.He thinks I spend Waaaaaaaay to much time doing this.......... and should be busy "Getting HOT on stuff that needs getting done."......Being an old fart myself........there is allways tommorow........

Attachments

#10 ·
What is really nice is that "Swap meet" season is coming up and we will be able to glom some of the special hardware from Vendors who specialize in Dodges and "Do" swap meets and MV rallies.These M-37's got more damn parts tahan I can believe.This is way more complicated than my WWII,GMC,353,CCKW,2.5 ton closed cab truck is.Uncle sugar spared no expense when he speced these out.

Damn.......I got really used to crafting on them "little Jeeps" an forgot that it was all up-hill from there.Thank God for overhead Bridge Cranes that can pick up heavy assed parts and move them around like little sticks.Hell against the wall and in another room are enough parts to build several more M-37 Dodges.AB is still struggling with the concept of being "An important natural recource for Dodge Depot Overhauls.".......but that is passing.He bought out the "Lifetime stash" of a fellow MV collector who wanted to go liquid on his M-37 "pile."

#12 ·
AKaTom said:
:cool: Hope you'll keep us up to date with your progress. I've always wanted an old Military Ambulance build on the Dodge Power Wagon frame. Can't remember the M series designation.
I believe the PowerWagon ambulance was designated the M-43.

#13 ·
Cranes.

Custer said:
What ton bridge crane do you have DD?
In that room it is a 2 ton.It does not have power traverse.But it is good enough to do a LOT of truck work under.

#15 ·
dinkydow
Thanks for posting those pics. I have never done anythng like that (and never will) but I enjoy seeing old vehicles restored, please continoe posting pics.... they are great.:)

PS. I've put a LOT of miles on the 3/4 ton Dodge Power Wagon during my Army career.

#17 ·
Dodges Rule.....

Pogo,Vintage Power Wagons has I think,a Dodge M 615 ambulance for sale.......super cool.Saw one of these(Pic) restored ..but..the body was painted Royal Green (gloss) and the finders were black........woah.......to die for.

www.vintagepowerwagons.com

Attachments

#20 ·
looking for.........

What I would really like to have is a WWII,Dodge W57,Command car.Like a Jeep on steroids.Got to take one for a drive when I lived in Colorado..........wanted one ever since.This is waht they look like......they have a trunk,fold down map table plenty of room for machinegun mounts and are fairly bulletproof as well as willing to climb trees.

Attachments

#21 ·
Busted.....

RebFootCav said:
I'm pretty sure the tag on that one is 5500.

I only caught it briefly, before I was told to get off the site, before I NEEDED an ambulance. :stretcher

Sounds like you got some advice from the "Boss."

#24 ·
Yep,them puppies is so nice everybody wants one.They are getting to be like machine guns,price wise.....I have been tire-kicking with few good 'ole boys that own them.One feller has one that needs a teardown and a re-store to be rightious and I might go that way.Otherwise the price for a really nice "Turn-key" is .....well.....I would be eating cheeseburgers instead of steak for awhile...Almost seems a fair deal.

One of my old time buds down round Nashville Tenn way has one like in the pic...but it has a 440 Chrysler magnum with the car 4-speed in it.Hot damn does that bugger scream.He did....and sometimes still does stunt driving for hollywood movies and TV productions and when you ride with him if he thinks you look......bored......that shit can end......with him putting the ride up on two wheels and going down the road.His Dodge Command Car has seatbelts in it.It needs rolls of toilet paper too.

I don't really look for that kind of a pavement ripper in one ...the stock Dodge 230 C.I. Flathead is good enough for me.

#25 ·
dinkydow said:
He did....and sometimes still does stunt driving for hollywood movies and TV productions and when you ride with him if he thinks you look......bored......that shit can end......with him putting the ride up on two wheels and going down the road.His Dodge Command Car has seatbelts in it.It needs rolls of toilet paper too.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sort of like putting a Mazda RX-7 rotary motor in a M/C frame.

Screaming will do you no good. :smilie_sc

#26 ·
dinkydow said:
One of my old time buds down round Nashville Tenn way has one like in the pic...but it has a 440 Chrysler magnum with the car 4-speed in it.Hot damn does that bugger scream.He did....and sometimes still does stunt driving for hollywood movies and TV productions and when you ride with him if he thinks you look......bored......that shit can end......with him putting the ride up on two wheels and going down the road.His Dodge Command Car has seatbelts in it.It needs rolls of toilet paper too.
Get in
Sit down
Shut up
And Hang on

:lol::lol::lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.