Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Short barreled shotgun not NFA

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

HMMMM me thinks if a leo dont know that a 14" barreled pistol grip firearm is legal he wont know the differance between that and a SBS,AOW , etc and he will arrest any way.

If you can buy it at the sporting good store the LEO,s need to learn what is legal thats there job. It not going to matter if it a $200, $5, or free registrtation/stamp if the LEO dont know the law your screrwed.

aside from the cool gangstsa YO bitch factor there not likely worth a shit. Honestly how many of you are actualy going to clear a room or need to pull it out of you car in self defense?????? Having one is just asking for unneeded attention IMO. gun rights aside who really needs one??? I doubt its much fun to shoot. Id rather have a 18" barrel at least it would be usable as a club if I ran out of shells.

how many have actualy fired a shot gun in a closed room??? Louder than I want to deal with.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

With an SBS or AOW you will have a nice official looking document from ATF with all sorts of signatures, tax stamp, etc. on it saying you can legally own it. With a 14 "not a shotgun or AOW" firearm, at most you have a letter from ATF saying it MAY qualify as an illegal AOW depending on how ya carry it. At least with the paperwork ya got proof it's legal.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

With an SBS or AOW you will have a nice official looking document from ATF with all sorts of signatures, tax stamp, etc. on it saying you can legally own it. With a 14 "not a shotgun or AOW" firearm, at most you have a letter from ATF saying it MAY qualify as an illegal AOW depending on how ya carry it. At least with the paperwork ya got proof it's legal.
    I hear what your saying and I agree as long as you got all that with you and all that. Id think a recipt and the transfer papers for the 14" not shot gun would get you by (although not as safely) as well or at least keep you from staying in jail if they are infact 100% legal. either these are legal or there not, just like any fire arm. Unfortunatly the man not knowing the law can get you busted or at least detained.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

kernel that is interesting on the AOW, I did not know that, thank you..

biggun I agree. But their is a big difference between "should and do" know the law.
    I don't hesitate too call the ATF if I have a question relating too purchase, filling out a form, or legality of weapons related issues.
    100% of the time I get.
    "Uh hold on, let me transfer you too Joe. Hello Joe here. Uh let me transfer you too our legal department."
    "Legal Dept., whatever the hell that is, you know I really dont know. Let me take your number and get back too you."
    They never ever do.
    I live on a private dirt road here in Florida. Out my front door is a half million acres of National Forest.
    When the kids are in school and it is safe. We set up a secure backstop and test our weapons.
    The older Sheriffs don't give a damn, but the younger ones fly down here and tell us we cant do that.
    Well under Florida's new weapons laws, oh hell yes we legally can.
    So a new, John Wayne Sheriff fly's down here and says "No we cant, stop."
    Half hour debate goes on, yes, no, yes, no. I am rite you are wrong.
    I end the debate when he says.
    "I am going too arrest you for P.O.P."
    What the hell is P.O.P.?"
    Pissing Off Police.
    We ended with a good laugh, handshake and he went on his way.
    How can we expect the L.O.s on the beat too know the law, when the ATF making the laws, don't even know the law?
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I hear what your saying and I agree as long as you got all that with you and all that. Id think a recipt and the transfer papers for the 14" not shot gun would get you by (although not as safely) as well or at least keep you from staying in jail if they are infact 100% legal. either these are legal or there not, just like any fire arm. Unfortunatly the man not knowing the law can get you busted or at least detained.
    Your standard 4473 doesn't have bbl length on it, the cop would just assume you cut it down after purchase. Since having the ATF paperwork is your only positive defense against getting busted with an illegal gun, every NFA owner I've heard of keeps multiple copies with the guns, in their safes, filed with their atty, etc. Lose the original and you're at the mercy of government recordkeeping, and from what I have read you only have about an 80% chance ATF still has their copy.

As the ATF letters indicate, AOW status is a grey area due to a poorly written law. "Concealable" is never defined, and ATF's 26" rule is just that, an internal "standard" with no basis in law and can be changed without notice. Concealable is highly dependant on the individual, Woody Allen trying to hide one under his coat would be laughed at for the obvious lump it made, while AHnold in his prime could probably carry one under each arm without a second glance. Woody has a legal gun, Swarzennegger has an illegal AOW and they are the same gun? Hey SCOTUS!

Feedback Score

Would an old gun converted to a pistol grip and having an 18 barrel be considered legal?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Under fed law, yes, as long as the overall length was over 26". Most pump guns, no problem meeting that length, a break open single or double bbl, real easy to go under and have an SBS. State laws may vary.

Feedback Score

Ask Randy Weaver how that short barreled thing works. That guy selling short barreled shotguns as legal is an idiot!

Feedback Score

kernelkrink
    Whats the price on the super shorty you posted a pic of?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Per the link above the pic Super Shorty $925 + $25 shipping. Used should be a few bucks cheaper, I would imagine. You could also buy your own Mossberg Cruiser for cheap and Form 1 it and do the work yourself. Drawback is the making tax is $200 versus the $5 transfer tax buying it from a dealer. OTOH, a $250 shotgun and the tax is still a far cry from $955.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.