Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Firearms will be sold to Korean War veterans

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Firearms will be sold to Korean War veterans

Firearms will be sold to Korean War veterans

By Lee Tae-hoon

Washington has agreed to allow the importation of M1 Garand rifles from Seoul, reversing its earlier decision to ban the shipping of the weapon used by South Korean and U.S. soldiers during the 1950-53 Korean War, a senior defense official said Wednesday.

“The U.S. government approved the imports of some 86,000 of the rifles,” said Lee Sun-chul, deputy defense minister for force and resources management.

“The historic firearms are expected to be sold to American Korean War veterans and their families in time for the 62nd anniversary of the Korean War, which falls on June 25 this year.”

Kim Mi-sung, an official of the force and resources management office, said the defense ministry received an approval letter from the United States on Sept. 2 last year that stated Washington agreed to allow the importation of the M1s.

She noted that the U.S. government, however, rejected Seoul’s proposal to export some 600,000 M1 Carbines, which were also used in the Korean War, as they come with a magazine that can carry multiple rounds unlike the Garands.

“We plan to announce a bid later this month or in February for the selection of agencies to sell the M1 rifles to Americans,” Kim said. “The U.S. has been reviewing legal procedures for the approval of a third party transfer.”

The official said Korea plans to purchase locally developed K2 rifles with the money raised by selling the M1s.

The Obama administration blocked the purchase of 87,310 M1 Garands and 770,160 M1 Carbines in 2010, saying the American-made antique rifles could “potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes.”

The move, however, triggered strong criticism among gun collectors, who said the U.S. government was being excessively concerned about possible firearm incidents involving the aging semiautomatic rifles.

In February last year, U.S. Sen. Jon Tester and Rep. Cynthia Lummis proposed bills for an amendment of the Arms Export Control Act to guarantee that U.S.-made military firearms classified as “curios and relics” will not be blocked from importation.

The legislations allow firearms more than 50 years old, considered antiques or relics and lawfully possessed by a foreign government, to be imported into the United States through properly licensed groups and sold without written permission from the U.S. State or Defense Departments.

A senior defense ministry official, however, raised the possibility that the U.S. government may cancel the plan to allow the purchase the M1s, saying Seoul has yet to finalize negotiations with Washington.

``We have yet to receive confirmation from the United States over our proposal,” he said. “The U.S. government may change its position at the last minute due to political considerations.”

M1s were made first in 1926 and used during World War II and the Vietnam War. The carbines were first produced in 1941 and used during the 1950-1953 Korean War.

They currently sell for around $220, according to another defense ministry official.

http://www.koreatimes.co..../2012/01/113_103154.html

Black Blade: Now for the M1 carbines. They all should be imported.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score

How much you want to bet they (the M-1's) end up selling for between 595 and 800 dollars when they get here?

I cant believe they rejected the M-1 Garand's. Let me guess, it looks like an evil assault rifle to those gun hating dweebs because it has a longer magazine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'll take 5 at that price!
    .223 adapter instructions
    www.christcorp.com/renegadeadapter.pdf

Feedback Score

"currently sell for $220.oo..." ya, right !!! Not in this country. Maybe on the global wholesale market they do. The first step in getting the prices down is to get the crypto-commie bastards out of the US gov't for keeps !!!!

VD

Feedback Score

I'm composing a fecitious letter to the South Korean President (Mr Bak) now.

Hey South Korean head honcho guy,Mr Bak, this here is South Texas Guy. I heard thru the grapevine the US gummit would not approve sending a shitload of M-1 Carbines to the US.

Before you cut them up for scrap..I will parlay up 240 dollars for each of the excellent ones, 230 for the VG, 220 for the G, the fair and poors u can send to your good buddies up North in NK.

I will be in China soon (please don't send them to me there in the land of 2nd Amendment hating, commie bastards!).

Why don't we park them over in Taiwan for now. Do you want an LC (letter of credit); or a check, Money order or credit card?

If you have any nukes, small shoulder fired missles, PRG's or spare helicopters or tanks a laying around you don't need we can chat about that too since I am already running afoul of multiple laws! In for a dime, in for a dollar, as we say in Texas!

Sincerely,

South Texas Guy

P.S. I will offer them carbines at cost (plus shipping and handling) to all them excellent gunco fellers!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

that is going to do my dad a lot of good being a korean war vet. he passed away in october of 2011!

Feedback Score

I know it sucks for our fathers thats passed away, but the article says veterans and thier families. I wonder what hoops we'd have to jump through to get one? jim

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Thanks BlackBlade for posting this. It is good news.

What each of us should now do is to cut and paste that post into a letter, along with some simple facts:

1. The CMP has sold a lot of these recently that were re-imported / returned from Italy.

2. A whole shitload of nations have done the same thing.

3. Each time, the American Citizens have bought them up, cleaned them up, and healed all of the hurts and dings they suffered during their 50+ years of service, and use these rifle for a variety of lawful pursuits.

4. The State Dept. needs to be obliterated as the disgrace upon our nation that it is.

If you are angered by this, you should take the time to cut and paste five e-mails: One to your Congress-Critter, two to your Senators, One to the NRA (citing your Membership #), and one to the O-Bummer hisself....

IF one million of us do that, it will raise eyebrows. Two Mil will cause some anxiety. 5 Mil will cause sharply increased bloddpressure, 10 Mil will cause a mass run on Depends.....

This seems like a little issue, but it is NOT A LITTLE ISSUE! This is your Gov. saying that YOU CAN NOT BE TRUSTED! The Constitution says something very different.....

They Serve US, NOT the Other way AROUND!!!!!
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

Good idea Bellson,

I will be a emailing tomorrow!

Feedback Score

I sure hope it isnt very difficult for the families to purchase these. Im guessing the average Korean vet is in his 80s now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.