Gunco Forums banner

What do you guys drive?

2K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  bigblock 
#1 ·
I just recently sold me first car, a 72 Chevy Chevelle. Had it for nearly 10 years. I got it painted 4 years ago and did not drive it since. I loved the way it turned out but I just lost interest. I like the look and style of muscle cars but I was never much of a cruiser, I learned this in time. I much prefer 'spirited' driving of good handling cars.

My second ride was a '00 Grand Am GT. Nice car but not really what I wanted. I was hoping for a Mustang GT at the time but could not afford the insurance. The Grand Prix cost too much so I got a Grand Am. Good driving car but I started having a lot of problems out of it. Plus I was wanting a manual tranny which is not available in the GT.

My 3rd car and current ride is a '04 Subaru WRX Wagon. I have been wanting a WRX since they were released in the summer of '01. The news of the STI excited me but again insurance and car payments would have been really high. I think I could have done it but it would be cutting it close. Too close. So I got a wagon. Cheaper and cheaper on insurance. And she is a blast to drive!! :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Damn you! :D You have my car!

If I were to get a sedan it would be a Subaru now. My Dad has 2, 97's and they are brutally rugged cars. One is an Outback and the other a Legacy (both wagons). They both do rural mail route duty 6 days a week with no major issues. Fluids, brakes, tires, and belts is all they every need. The Legacy has been on the route 78 miles a day since it was new in 97. The Outback started this summer and hasn't been any trouble either.

Nice car!

#3 ·
I don't know much about cars. I can repair an AK blindfolded but I have trouble checking my own oil.

So, my strategy has been to buy a new vehicle, drive it until it's paid off and it starts having problems, then I trade it off and buy whatever I can afford.

If I didn't need a car I wouldn't own one.

(Hey, SangRun: what happened to your Clint Eastwood avatar? Now I feel like I'm talking to your car! :lol:

That's like me using my spaceship as my avatar!--Laugh Out Loud!)

#4 ·
I can only hope the turbo boxer will hold up as the regular boxer. I do not expect 200K trouble free miles but it would be nice. I keep hearing how durable the Subys are. After the problems with the Pontiac, the stories of reliability meant a lot.

#5 ·
ZOID ZODIAN said:
I don't know much about cars. I can repair an AK blindfolded but I have trouble checking my own oil.

So, my strategy has been to buy a new vehicle, drive it until it's paid off and it starts having problems, then I trade it off and buy whatever I can afford.

If I didn't need a car I wouldn't own one.

(Hey, SangRun: what happened to your Clint Eastwood avatar? Now I feel like I'm talking to your car! :lol:

That's like me using my spaceship as my avatar!--Laugh Out Loud!)
Autos are my true love. However, your strategy is the most economical. Some people buy a couple years old, but that is a crap shoot. Not sure what your getting and how the previous owner took car of it. If you can get a new car and hold onto it for a long time, you will be ahead.

When I got my Grand Am I knew it was only temporary because it was not what I really wanted. I did hold onto it for nearly 4 years which is longer than I expected. Anything can happen, but I plan on keep this one for many years.

#6 ·
I own a Volvo repair shop and have a wife and three children between the ages of 16-20. When all of the kids are home on the weekend it looks like a used Volvo car lot. 3 240 wagons, one 740 sedan (Momma's) and a 960 Sedan (mine). I really like Volvos but that is based primarily on the fact that I have all the tools and coming up on 20 years of fixing the darn things. For me there just is no cheaper, more reliable car out there.

#7 ·
My daily driver is a Volvo 940 turbo. I have been thru at least 20 cars in the last hmm 20 somethin years and this thing just "takes a lickin and keeps on tickin". I put at least 60K on this thing in the last 18 months and it's only needed brakes, tires, belts ,a radiator and some r134. Damn good car, kinda ugly and boxy, but it sure drives good.

#8 ·
I have worked in a Toyota Dealer as a mechanic for 10 years and my wife has a 97 Corolla that is reliable as the sun and I drive a 99 chevy truck with a 454 and a 2001 Sportster when the wife lets me out of the house.

#9 ·
I'll have to give it to my 98 Mercury Sable. It's been real good to me and I bought it 2 years old.

The only major thing was the power steering rack started leaking and had to be replaced. I got 78k on it and it runs pretty good, but it's starting to get the old car creaks and rattles which is expected for 6 years.

It has the 24V Duratec in which has 200hp and a pretty good suspension, although I messed up when I put the new struts on last year. I got heavy duty ones and they make the ride harsh. Have I ever said struts are a ***** to replace? :D

My wife drives a 2003 Honda Oddyssey minivan and we really like it a lot.

We had a 2000 Ford Focus wagon and that think had too many recalls and the resale value was crap. The car had less than 28k on it and was in pefect shape all over. Couldn't sell it for much and didn't get much on trade.

If I could only focus on my 78 Cutlass more. 355 with Vortec heads, headers, carb, cam, ignition, 12inch IROC brakes, IROC suspension, 4 speed tranny, and a host of many other things, but I still haven't driven it for years due to one reason or another.

#10 ·
bigblock said:
I have worked in a Toyota Dealer as a mechanic for 10 years and my wife has a 97 Corolla that is reliable as the sun and I drive a 99 chevy truck with a 454 and a 2001 Sportster when the wife lets me out of the house.
I wondered what the 'big block' was refering too. Now I know :)

I have some big block parts that I was going to use with the Chevelle, but since the car is gone I will be putting these up for sale.

#11 ·
I just got rid of my poor old Suburban last month (lots of miles with wet smelly dogs & kids in it) & got a used 2004 GMC Sierra crew cab. Some guy put 7k miles on it & decided that it was too big for him :confused: . I was happy to let him take the hit on the depreciation :D .

Greg

#16 ·
SangRun Hunter said:
I had a 78 Chevy PU with a transplanted Pontiac 400 from a 69 Firebird. 3/4 ton rear with 4.56:1 gear. Talk about a gas hog! Loved the way that thing sounded and man could it tow and haul ass.
I bet it could. My dad restored a '67 Chevy 2WD 1/2 ton SWB pickup truck. Got it looking really nice. He rebuild a 402BB and put in it. The engine came out of a early 70's caprice. Against my better judgement he put it back stock. It had plenty of torque but it was far from fast. I think one of the problems was the ancient quadrajet. Dad didn't even think the secondaries were opening. He ended up trading it on a 55 Chevy 2door hardtop... got screwed on the trade.

#17 ·
I wanted a SS 454 truck when I bought it but there were no more to be had new. So I bought the one I got and it is 3/4 ton, 2WD, and regular cab with a 8 foot bed. I put a K&N air filter and flow master exhaust kit on it.

#18 ·
drove a chevy pickup for about the last15 years... ever since I was able to have my own vehicle, really...

I work about 70 miles from home, so I had to get a little more economical... or so I thought. I just bought this ride about a month ago, 2004 Nissan Frontier. I like it alright, but it ain't my chevy... and ain't this a kick in the nuts... The chevys i looked at were built in Mexico or Canada. This one right in Smyrna, Tennessee. Buy jap and support American jobs???
here she is (not it, but IDENTICAL)

Attachments

#22 ·
You all have some nice rides. My love affair with a big engine was in the first and second 73 olds omega that I had. The first one had a 350 rocket but only a 2 barrel carb. The engine outlasted the body and went into an exgirlfriends project (long story - plus it was a good many years ago). The second 73 had a 350 rocket with a 4 barrel carb with a 400 turbohydramatic tranny, a free flowing dual exhaust and big tires (had to have air shocks on the back to fit them on the car and spacers in the front springs). At the time I was only married six months and bought it without asking my wife. Lucky for me my dad agreed to buy it. I did get to drive it though and it was like night and day from the first omega, (and fast too :naughty: ). After about 187,000 miles the trunk was all rusted and my dad sold it to a mechanic that wanted th eengine, tranny and rear end for some hot rod project.
My wife drives a saturn, but for me my current ride is a 93 VW eurovan and after my last trip it now has 200,873 miles on it and still going strong. I love my VW, but it isn't as fast as american muscle - but built tough.

Attachments

#23 ·
sks_hunter said:
oh, yeah, it's LOADED with options... the only thing I had to add on myself....guys ya can't be without one of these....:naughty: nice drink holder...
Shouldn't every car come with a drink holder. :scared: :rofl: :naughty:

#25 ·
Pimp mobile! 69 Coupe Deville

One of my favorite past cars.

502 inch engine from an Eldorado. Lowered, Duals, re-worked ignition, 750 Holley carb, spacer, K&N air filter. Probably had around 430 HP, but if flew for being heavy. Pulled some guys headlights out at 125 mph as I walked away from him on the highway one night. He was driving a new Acura Legend at the time.
Ah..... The good ole' days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.