Gunco Forums banner

WWII buried spitfires found!!

3K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  44044 
#1 ·
#9 ·
Damn, I can't wait to see them one they're uncrated!!!

#10 ·
when I saw this it reminded me that our gov't did the same thing
sometimes TCM on cable has old mvietone news breifs between movies. about 10 years ago they had one where the US air force was up-dating to jets circa 1946-50 and had to get rid of the surplus planes. so they dug a big hole and buried them to build a new runway for a major air force base, years later I asked a friend of mine who was a gov't testing enginner, what he thought of the idea of the planes beening somewhat intact. his first question/answer was impact by ground water & the pressue of the runway would overtime would collapse these P-51 mustangs into balls of aluminum
yes I know the airforce base they are buried at and if they did there, they probably did it everywhere

great story thanks for posting it

sprat

#11 · (Edited)
For the first time, Google Earth has released high-resolution images of "The Boneyard" – the world's largest military aircraft cemetery adjacent to the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson, Ariz. It was established after World War II.
World News: Google Earth captures aircraft boneyard - thestar.com

Well here is 4,400 old planes.. If we can just get over that damn fence and.... :)

#13 ·
For the first time, Google Earth has released high-resolution images of "The Boneyard" – the world's largest military aircraft cemetery adjacent to the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson, Ariz. It was established after World War II.
World News: Google Earth captures aircraft boneyard - thestar.com
THEY SHOULD GIVE/SELL TOURS OF THE PLACE. ID GO.

#14 ·
AMARG (Boneyard) Tour
The Pima Air & Space Museum offers exclusive bus tours of the 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center (AMARG), also known as the "Boneyard." The facility is located adjacent to the Museum at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. Seats are avaliable on a "first come first serve" basis.

You will need to check in at the Pima Air & Space Museum Admissions

no later than 1 hour prior to tour departure time. The tour bus boards at the Museum entrance.
309th AMARG Tour

#15 ·
The planes found in the BONEYARD are generally post Korean war, the last of the F-86's were removed a few years back and used as un manned drones for missle testing. there are a few on C-47's (DC-3) other than that there are no WW2 or korean war vets in the BONEYARD

airclassic's has been following the contents of the yard for 4 decades and civilain purchase is restricted. Gov't agencies like the coast guard and US fire service get first pick, & god knows what other Alphabet agencies

sprat

#16 ·
That deal is pretty impressive if you can find it on google earth. I saw one of those old nose art panels from a B-17 when we were on spring break. This one is called "Blasting Betty." I am going to take a picture of it when I go back down there. I do not think pictures of this one have been published.

#19 ·
The Boneyard at Davis-Monthan is impressive as hell, and tragic all at the same time. Pima Air Museum is awesome as well. Spent part of the summer of 1994 helping at our sister facility in Tuscon (Lockheed Martin) working on the King of Saudi's 747. Great experience all the way around.

#24 ·
There has to be a lot. The thing that makes this more interesting is the amount of aircraft suspected to be there and the fact that they are crated and hopfully have been protected from the elements. More information is coming out now that the crew is preparing to dig. They say that at some point a bore hole was drilled and a camera inserted into a crate. They reported that the areas filmed were in "good" condition and that they expected to have flyable aircraft. They also expect 15 to 40 aircraft in total from 3 or 4 different locations. They expect 10 to 20 from the first spot alone. I hope they're right, we'll see.

#26 ·
Still watching this with much antisipation. I was on you tube sometime ago and wasted a few hours watching vids of folks in europe pulling ww2 tanks out of bogs. they were completely buried and afterwards they would restore. Some were in such good shape that the paint was still intact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.