Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Life after Sandy in NJ

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Life after Sandy in NJ

I should note I am a florida resident with a business office/Apt in the Jacksonville area and a second florida home in Ft Myers. I grew up in NJ and have a office and rental properties and sister's along the coast less than a 1/16 of a mile from the beach. my duaghther and husband live in NE Philly
    I do a fair amount of Business in NJ, PA, DEL, & NY.

My wife & I arrive at my office/ rental which is currently empty, the afternoon after Sandy struck the Jersey Shore
    this neighborhood was devastated, my rental had ocean water up to the porch, but luckily not in the house, the office was also spared. I have oceanfront boardwalk on my front lawn, all of my neighbors have substantial damage we have no electric or cable. my wife drove to my daughters home, they have elctric cable and gas. I stayed behind loaded and the sig sauer.
    I have natural gas and land line phone, new phones don't work neither does the cell service ( thought it does now) water and sewer are rationed because both have been compromised though slightly functional I still shower daily. I heated the first night with the gas oven and plenty of blankets, food was still frozen, I had ice still till friday all the frig food had to be thrown out ( we keep small amounts of perishables in the frig) the next day my brother in law and I sood in line for 3 1/2 hours for a 3000 watt generator that never came?, the gas stove is a old one, so I could cook and boil water for tea
    ( small miracles) all my neighbors left and Martial law is imposed 7pm curfew even for residents to 7 am, helicopters all over the sky, no cars or planes, very eiree. I also have a surplus NV scope i bought from Copes ( Thanks Misty) so I can see in the dark, the wife and son-in-law got us a generator 6,500 to 8000watt generac xg7000E if Blade blade is reading this or if someone can direct him to this post i need the name of the company that sells conversion parts to convert this gas powered generator to Natural gas
    I was able to hook up the gas heating system to the generator, also the lights and old vcr, i also kept a old rotory dial phone which works, so i have land line communication.
    This morning i rigged the office computer to Dial up, gas has been a bitch to get, but there is gas in Pa and western jersey, my wife and son-in-law have been meeting me with loads of 15-20 gallons of gas. I have to do two things now, one is protect the generator and the gas, they are both being stolen at alarming rates. in fact mine is chained to a steel post with a battery operated motion detector. last night I had my first warm meal in a warm house with cable,
    I returned to the land of the portable generator at 6pm last night only to be met by armed national guard troops and police, i was allowed back because i could prove i was a property owner and I am on friendly terms with the current chief of Police ( who was standing there) I was stocked with food provisions, gas, NJ compliant Ar, soon as the power comes on i will return to florida next week
    so if you want to know what it is like to live without most comforts re -read this post, make sure you have plenty of extension cords, batteries, water, gas or propane, a generator ( this is a must),
    I have plenty of MREs and wise lite and mountain house plus we have canned goods here I have not yet needed to eat that stuff yet and we have a nor easter storms coming wednesday evening these can be worst than hurricanes

so as of today no electric power, cable, mobility is limited, banks are closed, i got cash last night

more to come, got to go. I get e-mails via my phone as the cell sevice was restored saturday
    I should have stayed in ireland

stay safe and don't forget to vote I alread did by absentee ballot

thank god for dial up and my for thought to have included on my computer here
    Sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Ireland would have offered a much nicer view as you looked out the window, but it would not have given you the life experience that the aftermath of a hurricane does.

You got balls brother!

I have been looking at the propane conversion too.
    Time to stop neglecting.

This site is one of the ones that offered what seemed to be good set-up (tri-fuel) but I do not know.
    Generator Conversion Kits to Propane and Natural Gas.

Blade??/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks

Tanvil of all the members here you are the only one to comment or assist since I posted this morning WTF

that was the link I was looking for

if it was not for the wife I would have stayed in ireland and whacked more ducks

sprat

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Of course none of this will do you a bit of good if the house gets swamped but this little transfer switch is worth it's weight in gold.
    If you know your way around inside of a service panel, it's an amazingly simple install.

It powers your regular circuit breakers so you don't have to deal with all the cords and the rain blowing in the back door.
    Power Transfer Switch from Reliance Controls | The Home Depot - Model 3006HDK

I hope you have a chainsaw with you, if not, you might think about acquiring one.

It's nice to be able to keep your supply/bugout route open. And an alternative if possible.

It's just as important to be able to close it off, if you need to.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Not too familiar with the conversions myself but I do seem to recall coming across the imfo in an article. Not sure if I posted that in the Survival forum or not. It's been a while.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Hang in there Sprat. Is the Red Cross handing out MREs and bottled water? I had a couple fellows from Coastal New Jersey working with me on some firewater pumps here in Kentucky when Sandy hit. They lost everything, but their families made it safe.

Take care, help your neighbor and shoot a looter!!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up Sprat..

Been here on the sight for awhile.. I am sure all the members are praying for you and thank you to much for the info..
    Glad you are making it, although harsh times..
    Lot of younger working members here and it takes time from post, to reply..
    Getting the truth from Men like you is good.. Not the media B.S..
    Living in Florida, as you also do, we try to stay somewhat prepped here in hurricane alley..
    God Bless the National Guard and Police up there, plus the Red Cross..
    What pisses me off is Nappy looking for photo ops, on the help he is giving yall.
    Bull S#$T..
    Other countries get hit, we send the U.S. Navy 7th Fleet and the 1st Marine Division to help..
    Get off the campaign trail Nappy, you got your pictures in N.J..
    Stop the pictures and send in the Big Boys..
    Now this Nor Easter coming in. Oh God this is bad, real bad..
    Prayers for you and all up there.
    Any Dumbocrats reading this, read it again.. Nappy is on the campaign trail, while Americans need his leadership now..
    Frig you Nappy, great job..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

555th, 4thid

Thank you both for your concern, I am hanging in there I am living the Black Blade thread

yesterday the town condemned one of my homes even though there was no damage, this pissed me off, then the power company came along and took our meters ( damaged homes only) still no electric and with the new nor easter coming they are talking about 30-60 mile a hour winds, so even if power has been restored they expect more outages, apparently the sub-station that supplies this area is a mess, luckily i got the town building inspector to inspect the condemned house, glad to say it is no longer condemned. this is a relief because they are going to eminent domain most of those homes so i am off that list
    while at town hall they had a safe zone for folks with no food or shelter, 90% of the folks where mexicans and 10% the local riff raff, the town is giving away free ice and mac & cheese and some canned goods, of course i did not take any. but i saw a couple I know (who are avowed commies) they took a bag full of food, he owns a refrig business and she is a retired state worker.
    today the main water line burst, so they shut off the water it should be fixed tomorrow, I have plenty of water I bought a large supply of those poland spring 2 1/2 gallon containers so i will have tea.
    the neighbor has been driving back and forth from the philly area and has been bringing me gas for the generator ( i have been letting them plug into the generator). I actually worked today once outside this area life is normal but not here still a 6pm to 6 am curfew
    I have pic's but they are on my new cell phone as soon as i can figure out how to transfer the pic's i will post them
    i have not seen any looters ( damn) but i spoke to the chief of police he said north and south of me have been looted

got to go

sprat

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Sprat..

The neighbor 19 year old, now in jail on 8 felony charges, was hitting my trucks gas tanks..
    I told my neighbor across the canal that I was going to wait outside and see how much .12 gauge bird shot his body could hold.
    30 year retired Deputy Sheriff..
    "Tim. You can not shoot someone, unless your life is in danger, on a misdemeanor crime. You will be in jail before the ambulance leaves."
    Hell I did not know that, good info, I was just going to pop him.
    They come in your home or business residence, blast away...
    Even with that be careful, the scum doggies end up suing you..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Sprat, what is Princeton like right now?

I have extended family up there. Elderly but well prepped.
    Reports of live powerlines laying on the ground arching and popping for several days.
    I offered to go get them and bring them back here but they won't leave because of the possibility of looting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.