Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rumors of a 80% Remington 700 receiver?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I never considered doing an "80%" because of the time involved in EDMing the action. By the way, I hate the term "80%". It is either a firearm or it is not. There is no "80%" firearm.
    I AGREE BUT ITS A GENERAL TERM USED TO DESCRIBE A BALNK OR WHAT EVER MACHINED AS FAR AS THE LAW ALLOWS.

I had never thought about doing a barrel extension... It would not be THAT hard to do.... A barrel extension and or bolt head would not require a determination letter. The question would be how to join the barrel extension to the action... It could be silver soldered with proper use of heat paste but you would not want to weld 4140 without proper stress relieving and heat treating. Rivet to tubing like an AK???

I supose if there were interest... I would have to think about that...

Now look what you started.
    THE EXTRENSION BE ATTACHED IN ABUNCH OF WAYS DEPENDIONG HOW IT WAS MADE.

MY INITAL THOUGHTS WERE SIMPLY THREAD THE OUT SIDE OF IT AN SCREW IT INTO A TUBE TREADED ON THE INSIDE. IF YOU WANTED YOU COULD RIVET IT OR PIN IT IN IF IT WAS LONG ENOUGH THAT WELDING WOULD NOT AFFECT THE LUG AREA YOU COULD WELD IT IN.

CAN 4140 PREHARDENED BE MACHINED WITH HSS TOOLING ????????

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I AGREE BUT ITS A GENERAL TERM USED TO DESCRIBE A BALNK OR WHAT EVER MACHINED AS FAR AS THE LAW ALLOWS.
    Still bugs me though...

THE EXTRENSION BE ATTACHED IN ABUNCH OF WAYS DEPENDIONG HOW IT WAS MADE.
    And how it would be made would depend on how it is to be attached...

MY INITAL THOUGHTS WERE SIMPLY THREAD THE OUT SIDE OF IT AN SCREW IT INTO A TUBE TREADED ON THE INSIDE.
    Or maybe left to the "manufacturer" to decide...

IF YOU WANTED YOU COULD RIVET IT OR PIN IT IN
    I was actually thinking square or rectangular tubing in addition to round... Maybe put a shoulder on the extension so that it would fit 0.049" or 0.065" wall... Still thinking... :-)

IF IT WAS LONG ENOUGH THAT WELDING WOULD NOT AFFECT THE LUG AREA YOU COULD WELD IT IN.
    Welding 4140 is GENERALLY not a great idea. It gets hard and brittle when welded. However, I dont see the need to weld it either. A pin on one or 2 sides to keep it from twisting or fatiguing and a silver soldered joint would be more than enough. Heat paste would be REQUIRED!!

CAN 4140 PREHARDENED BE MACHINED WITH HSS TOOLING ????????
    The short answer is yes... However, tool life would not be great. 4140HT is what is commonly used for actions and barrels. HSS reamers are used every day to cut chambers in 4140 barrels. But they are done SLOW and with a LOT of cutting fluid.

When I do parts on the mill I have "flood" cooling directed at my carbide cutters and speeds & feeds are controlled... If you were working on a manual mill you would need to go slow and take light cuts. But be aware that too light of a cut will burnish and harden the material without cutting.

With that said... If I were to do an extension and bolt head there would be no earthly reason to have to machine the parts afterwards. There may be some finishing to do on the bolt head. But that would be done with a (GOOD) file and or emery cloth/sand paper. I have a bolt head started... I'll take a picture or 2 of it before and after I finish it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If it were me Id do a round extension that could be screwed into a tube. the tube could have rails intalled to guide the bolt . this would allow you to simply thread the ID for the tube or even weld a treaded bushing into the tube either inside or on the out side to recive the extension.

the cost would be greatly reduced as expensive metal would only be a about 4" long. the rest can be made of what ever easiest even alumnum.

Feedback Score

If it were me Id do a round extension that could be screwed into a tube. the tube could have rails intalled to guide the bolt . this would allow you to simply thread the ID for the tube or even weld a treaded bushing into the tube either inside or on the out side to recive the extension.

the cost would be greatly reduced as expensive metal would only be a about 4" long. the rest can be made of what ever easiest even alumnum.
    The cost is NOT in the materials. My .50 cost about $100 for ALL of the raw materials. The action blank runs about $30 for material (remember that #)

For a barrel extension you would need about 4" of steel (1.5" of thread for the barrel, 0.875" of lug in the extension, 0.875 clearance for the bolt to turn into place with 0.75" threaded on the end). Cost for the steel... About $8-$10...

The "action" would need to be 2"od (to match the extension) 1 5/8"id or 1 1/2" id (for bolt clearance) tubing. 12" of 1018 tubing would cost about $25- $30.

A couple $ more total (not a big deal). Where the savings would come in is that it takes me about an hour and 10 minutes PER inch to EDM the lugways. Keep in mind that this is not necessarily the best way to do this. It is, however, the I CAN do them. This is assuming a .50BMG action, which I still don't know if I would want to do that. There are fare more stupid people out there than you can shake a stick at. The first asshat that breaks his collar bone because he doesn't understand what he's playing with and I never will be able to retire!

However, I'd be curious to know if there is enough interest to make it worthwhile to do.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I have a .50bmg chambered barrel blank & a box of ammo.................Heh...Heh

Welcome to Gunco MIBill!!!
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I HAVE A BARREL THREADED CHAMBERED AN ALSO THE BREAK INSTALLED.

FOR A EXTENSION YOU MUGHT NOT HAVE TO EDM THE SLOTS FOR THE BOLT HEAD.
    THERE LESS THAN A INCH DEEP.

BASICALY IM THINKING THE FIRST 4 INCHES OF YOUR RECIVER WITH OUT BOLT WAYS THREADED TO FIT EITHER A TUBE OR BETTER YET A BUSHING THAT CAN BE WELDED INTO A TUBE.

IF YOU WANT A 50 THEY BETTER GET MADE FAST. THERE LIKELY TO GET BANNED VERY SOON.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

50bmg bolt action project barrel

80 receiver bolt action

remington 700 blank action

remington 700 receiver blank
round blank receivers bored and edm cut
where can i have remington 700 receiver blanks wire edm services
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.