Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rumors of a 80% Remington 700 receiver?

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Default Rumors of a 80% Remington 700 receiver?

Buddy of mine just told me that he heard that a company is working on a 80% Remington 700 receiver.

Anyone heard about this. That get me thinking about who has the ability to build a proto type like this. Hell I'd throw in money to help build this.

thoughts?
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have seen broached rail blanks for bolt action reciver before recently. id love to build one there are lots of aftermarket 700 bolts out there now for around $100 even on ebay .

Tempering the reciver is the biggest issue id have. but with a few carbide cutters any thing could be done.

id love to see a broached an treaded blank to make a single shot no mag bolt action out of. there are lots of take off barrels out there cheap that could screw right on .

id love one for my 50 BMG .

If they can get $700 for a damm miled AK reciver im sure a lot of guys wuould pay $75 for a round tube with some slots milled into it an threaded on one end.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

not what i saw but interesting

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels

more info hre with a link i cant acess to a broached blank

Making a Remington 700 Action? - Page 2

also this. id like to be able to have them make me a few things.

Specialty Bar Products Company Receiver Production

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

there is a link here of what i was thinking part way down . its far from 80% there pricy but the steel is not cheap id also want my metal certifed with proof.

Next Project Rem 700 clone - Calguns.net

if some one could make a a reciver blank with powdermetal technoligy like the Ruger 77 that would be cool an likley cheaper to make an sell.

there saying this guy has taps an other stuff to finish a project.

I have thought numerious times about a tempered barrel extension that would screw onto a reminton 700 barrel that had the lugs for a remigton bolt or simular or even a ar10 type bolt . that extension if made right then be scrwed into any type of tube even aluminum. the back of the reciver dont need to be tempered. I was thinking the same for my 50 bmg project i i really needed is a barrel extension that would take a bolt head I could make the rest pretty easy. also i would not need $200 worth of expensive steel just enough for the extension.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I have seen broached rail blanks for bolt action reciver before recently. id love to build one there are lots of aftermarket 700 bolts out there now for around $100 even on ebay .

Tempering the reciver is the biggest issue id have. but with a few carbide cutters any thing could be done.

id love to see a broached an treaded blank to make a single shot no mag bolt action out of. there are lots of take off barrels out there cheap that could screw right on .

id love one for my 50 BMG .

If they can get $700 for a damm miled AK reciver im sure a lot of guys wuould pay $75 for a round tube with some slots milled into it an threaded on one end.
    heck I could do it with a demill and handfiles with a drill press, and proper tap done it before
    there was guy running the east coast gunshow circuit who had mauser 80% recievers, the 700 or any bolt action is based on the mauser platform with a few exceptions. some of these heat treat guys could possibly do these.
    cutting them is the easy part heck anyone with talent can and if you use a mill its cake
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

From the link posted:

Blank:

Almost completed:

Wire EDM cut from 1.5" USA Made Carpenter 17-4PH Stainless Steel Condition H1025 which is approx 38RC hardness.

The outside is turned true to the bore and will yield a 1.450 diameter action.

They are cut with a .700 - .701 bore and will work nicely with a Remington Bolt or a .6995" PTG bolt for a benchrest quality fit.

Long Action $250.00
    Short Action $210.00

Shipping $10.00 each
    glbreil@frontier.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THERE HAVE BEEN MAUSER BLANKS/ RAW FORGINGS ON GUN BROKER FOR AWHILE ON EAUCTION JUST ENDED. I HAD CONSIDERED GETTING ONE FOR A PISTOL PROJECT AN JUST USING THE BACK HALF ON A CUT M98 SECTION

ID LIKE TO HAVE SOMEHTING LIKE THE ABOVE PICTURE SOME DAY. WHILE ITS POSSABLY A GOOD DEAL FOR THOSE DRILLED AN SLOTED BLANKS I CAN BUY A WHOLE REM 700 RIFLE FOR A ANOTHER $150 OR SO USED.

Feedback Score

Making a bolt action is NOT as hard as people make it out to be. However, it does require some very specialized (or expensive) equipment OR a great deal of creativity :-)

The pictures below are from a prototype I designed and built earlier this year. It is a .50BMG single shot bolt action. This project was done on an old Southbend lathe, a Bridgeport that I bought for $70 and CnC controlled and a sinker EDM I bought at an auction for $1K. Conventional wisdom will tell you that I can NOT do what I did with the equipment I did it with. And some times conventional wisdom is wrong :-) The lugways could be done without the EDM by making a broach (or 3 depending on what you have available to you).

In order the pictures are:

1) The start of the bolt minor diameter (1.003") hole through the action.
    2) With the bolt hole completed the action was relieved for the bolt to turn into place and threaded for the barrel.
    3) The electrode for the EDM to do the lugways.
    4) a picture of the back of the action showing the final result.

At the bottom is a link to the video of the first test firings of the prototype.

I am in the process of turning out a couple "finished" actions now.

Creativity is the key. If you want to do it it is possible to make your own.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

NICE WORK ON THE 50 CAL..

HOW WAS IT HARDNED/ TEMPERED????

ANY CHANCE OF YOU MAKING AN SELLING A 80% TYPE RECIVER AN POSSABLY A BOLT HEAD???????

I HAVE A COMMERCIAL 50 BMG BARREL SITTING HERE OFF A VULCAN ARMS BOLT ACTION THAT WAS TURNED INTO A BIG BORE SHOT GUN I THINK.

I HAVE BALKED AT BUILDING A RECIVER FOR FEAR OF BEING SURE OF THE TEMPERING.

ID LOVE TO SEE SOME SIMPLE BARREL EXTENSIONS AN BOLT HEADS THAT WOULD ALLOW A TUBE BUILD RIFLE. ONLY THE BOLTHEAD AN A BARREL EXTENSIN NUT WITH LUGS WOULD BE NEEDED AN ONLY THEY WOULD NEED TO BE TEMPERED AN MADE OF GOOD STEEL.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    NICE WORK ON THE 50 CAL..

HOW WAS IT HARDNED/ TEMPERED????

ANY CHANCE OF YOU MAKING AN SELLING A 80% TYPE RECIVER AN POSSABLY A BOLT HEAD???????

I HAVE A COMMERCIAL 50 BMG BARREL SITTING HERE OFF A VULCAN ARMS BOLT ACTION THAT WAS TURNED INTO A BIG BORE SHOT GUN I THINK.

I HAVE BALKED AT BUILDING A RECIVER FOR FEAR OF BEING SURE OF THE TEMPERING.

ID LOVE TO SEE SOME SIMPLE BARREL EXTENSIONS AN BOLT HEADS THAT WOULD ALLOW A TUBE BUILD RIFLE. ONLY THE BOLTHEAD AN A BARREL EXTENSIN NUT WITH LUGS WOULD BE NEEDED AN ONLY THEY WOULD NEED TO BE TEMPERED AN MADE OF GOOD STEEL.
    It was made from 4140ht (prehardend) 2" stock. In fact the only piece I did NOT make from 4140ht was the cocking piece (O-1). 4140ht is readily available in many areas AND from a few reputable dealers on the web.

I never considered doing an "80%" because of the time involved in EDMing the action. By the way, I hate the term "80%". It is either a firearm or it is not. There is no "80%" firearm.

The bolt heads are not a big deal... I was going to do a couple of "blanks" 100% on the mill and see how they come out. The would have to be faced and cut for the cartridge on a lathe to insure that they are properly centered... Although the bolt heads in the first pic are NOT completed... And the second picture is farther than I would take them if I were to sell them...

I had never thought about doing a barrel extension... It would not be THAT hard to do.... A barrel extension and or bolt head would not require a determination letter. The question would be how to join the barrel extension to the action... It could be silver soldered with proper use of heat paste but you would not want to weld 4140 without proper stress relieving and heat treating. Rivet to tubing like an AK???

I supose if there were interest... I would have to think about that...

Now look what you started.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

50bmg bolt action project barrel

80 receiver bolt action

remington 700 blank action

remington 700 receiver blank
round blank receivers bored and edm cut
where can i have remington 700 receiver blanks wire edm services
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.