Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Detroit Councilwoman believes Obama owes Detroit a bailout for their votes.

Feedback Score

Default Detroit Councilwoman believes Obama owes Detroit a bailout for their votes.

LiveLeak.com - Detroit councilwoman to Obama: You owe us a bailout

DETROIT (WJBK) -- The city of Detroit faces a major financial crisis and one member of city council thinks President Barack Obama should step in and help.

City Council member JoAnn Watson said Tuesday the citizen's support of Obama in last month's election was enough reason for the president to bailout the struggling the city.

"Our people in an overwhelming way supported the re-election of this president and there ought to be a quid pro quo and you ought to exercise leadership on that," said Watson. "Of course, not just that, but why not?"

Nearly 75 percent of Wayne County voters pulled the lever for Obama in November.

The White House has expressed no plans to bailout the cash-crunched city that some experts say could run out of money by the end of the year.

The federal government has bailed out cities in the past, however. In 1975, President Gerald Ford extended more than $2 billion in credit to New York City to help it avoid a financial collapse.

I know this shouldn't come a surprise to me but... Wow... If she can be a councilwoman then I'm gonna go be a doctor... I thought the auto bailout did the trick for Detroit. Apparently they make a few cars there.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score

The Detroit city council is full of wackos. I get subjected to there lunacy on the daily news.

The State of Michigan has money in escrow to keep them afloat, but they will not agree to a law firm to represent the mayor that is in the contract to recive the money.

I am ready for them to go bancrupt, so maybe somethign can get done.

They will not cut anything. There was a study about just eh ater department. They have like 75% too many workers when compared to other water departments. All with government benifits, yet you cannot cut anything.

Detroit needs to implode before it gets better. I am in the camp that Detroit needs to right size itself. it is one of the largest cities in America size wise, yet has no residents. The only real solution in my mind is cut the size of the city. You can't provide city services to a street where ther eis one house.

The city government is a joke, and makes the entire state look bad.

Feedback Score

I hear you Red. I was looking up statistics on Detroit and found out the difference between Unemployment and a full time minimum wage job is $95 after taxes. So you can sit at home and do nothing and make $95 less than if you were to go work a minimum wage job for 40 hours a week. Talk about unsustainable.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Get the union to bail you out. They killed the auto industry.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Detroit was such a beautiful city, with phenomenal architecture, and rich history. Especially if you're a car guy. Unfortunately that is truly all gone. The city is a wasteland, and should be bulldozed. I wouldn't sink a penny into the place.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I used to work at the Ren Center downtown Detroit. Had to drive thru the ghetto to get there and pay 1% tax just to work in that rat-hole. When I moved to TX I got a 6% raise just from not paying Detroit and Michigan income tax.

In the late 90's GM moved thousands of people to the Ren Center and Detroit couldn't afford snow plows to keep the streets cleared for GM people to go to work. Then of course there are the "brown outs" in the summer when they cut the electricity.

Feedback Score

By the looks of her, she hasn't missed too many meals. Maybe she should do the bailing out. What she is saying is blackmail. or extorsion.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Big Don View Post
    By the looks of her, she hasn't missed too many meals. Maybe she should do the bailing out. What she is saying is blackmail. or extorsion.
    Extortion is the Detroit business. Just look at the kwame Kilpatrick trial. Extortion is a standard City practice. Then there was Monica Conyers. Those are just the recent ones I can think of. That doesn't even count the Wayne County officials who have been indicted.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Abukai08 View Post
    I hear you Red. I was looking up statistics on Detroit and found out the difference between Unemployment and a full time minimum wage job is $95 after taxes. So you can sit at home and do nothing and make $95 less than if you were to go work a minimum wage job for 40 hours a week. Talk about unsustainable.
    Then you add on the side job cash and you make more. Take side job as anything legal or illegal. I remember when I saw guy picking up cans drive away from Eastern Market in a Cadillac. He was also taking handouts earlier in the day.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Mitt Romney was right afterall. Votes for "free shit". Now some ain't getting their "free shit" they are really bummed out.
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.