Thread: Lawmakers push for tighter gun controls in California

jrs
    Feedback Score

Default Lawmakers push for tighter gun controls in California

LOS ANGELES — California lawmakers, seizing on new calls for gun controls following the massacre of 26 people at a Connecticut elementary school, rolled out proposals Tuesday to close loopholes in the state's assault weapons ban and restrict ammunition sales.

The moves quickly put California at the forefront of what was expected to be a new wave of proposed firearm restrictions at the state and federal levels in the wake of the shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

State Sen. Leland Yee introduced a bill that would prohibit gun owners from fitting semi-automatic weapons with devices, known as "bullet buttons" or "mag magnets," that allow them to be easily reloaded with multiple rounds of ammunition.

The San Francisco Democrat's measure would also prohibit add-on kits that allow high-capacity magazines. He said he was drafting legislation that would require yearly background checks for gun ownership and toughen safety requirements.

His action came as state Sen. Kevin De Leon, a Democrat from Los Angeles, said he would introduce a bill this week requiring ammunition buyers in the nation's most populous state to obtain a permit issued by the U.S. Department of Justice.

"For too long, too much ground has been ceded in the debate about reasonable gun and ammunition control," De Leon said in a statement. "In honor of the Sandy Hook Elementary School victims and thousands who have preceded them, we must not capitulate any longer."

A gunman carrying a semi-automatic rifle and two handguns opened fire Friday at the Connecticut school, killing 20 young students and six adults in a crime that stunned Americans and renewed calls for stricter gun controls.

De Leon said the one-year $50 permit, which would require a background check by the Justice Department, aimed to combat the easy accessibility of ammunition.

California gun laws are already among the toughest in the nation, topping a list compiled by the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. The state has banned most assault weapons, requires sales be made by a licensed dealer, including at gun shows, and imposes a 10-day waiting period among other regulations.

DEMOCRATS SEE AN OPENING

But Yee told Reuters in an interview that he and other Democrats believe more can be done.

"We're looking at yearly registration, background checks of individuals who own guns. We're looking at saying to gun owners, ‘You've got to keep these guns locked up when you are not using them or not cleaning them, and that you need to put trigger locks on all of these weapons,'" he said.

Democrats won a two-thirds majority in both houses of California's legislature in November, giving them even greater clout in a body that they have long dominated. Gov. Jerry Brown is also a Democrat.

Yee acknowledged that some Democrats in the state legislature were "sensitive" to the National Rifle Association but said that with a Democratic supermajority, chances for more gun control legislation have improved.

The NRA said Tuesday it wanted to contribute meaningfully to prevent another massacre like the Connecticut shootings, suggesting a sharp change in tone for the largest U.S. gun-rights group.

Rest of article here:

Lawmakers push for tighter gun controls in California
    jrs
    --
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.", Will Durant

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.", Edmund Burke

Feedback Score

Can they even get any tighter? I bet that's what it is. December 21st 2012. Americans invade Kalifornia and link up with Americans already behind enemy lines.

Can it get any worse when Dems from Stan luvs Fransisco and Lost Angels work together on something? We already know they can't stand the Constitution there and it's apparently their goal to regulate the poor souls there into hating it too.

Jrs, quick grab Bellson and apply for a travel visa to the USA. I'm sure you could just find work and stay here. I promise INS won't send you back there.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Yeah all you Kommiefornia guys, hurry up and get over to the good old US of A, before they build a wall, just like Berlin back in the day
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I wish I could escape.

I have a 3/4 million dollar anchor, er, house. Anybody want to take that bath?
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

i hope the new law dosnt pass.Imagine having to pay the state more money just to buy ammo,thats crazy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

there bullet button ban was just defeated a few months ago . what needs to happne is there needs to be laws restrivcitning the same bs form being propsed ove ran over again.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The NRA said Tuesday it wanted to contribute meaningfully to prevent another massacre like the Connecticut shootings, suggesting a sharp change in tone for the largest U.S. gun-rights group.
    id like to know what there thinking?????/

other than possable encouringing people to better store there arms an the need to make mentaly ill get help im not going to be happy. I can live with the end of face to face sales but im not for it being outlawed. i personaly stoped selling face to face unless i really know the person .

jrs
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    there bullet button ban was just defeated a few months ago . what needs to happne is there needs to be laws restrivcitning the same bs form being propsed ove ran over again.
    It wasn't really defeated. Rather it was pulled from the committee because on review it was determined it wouldn't pass legal muster.
    jrs
    --
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.", Will Durant

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.", Edmund Burke

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.