Gunco Forums banner

Price Gougers

5K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  moleman 
#1 ·
A real shame that these retailers are opportunistically taking advantage of the situation... capitalism at its "finest" :( I have no problem with the supply/demand margins, but gouging is turning me off to any gun related purchases I was planning to make in the upcoming months.

Went to the gun show... let's just say if you wanted a rifle, expect to pay a significant markup on it if you haven't already purchased it. Ditto for magazines. Most of them are jumping up in prices... not just crawling up!

This is my list, feel free to add to it. The local places in the region have never been known to have competitive prices, but now they are severely gouging magazine prices and EBR prices. Enough to the point that I am simply not going to shop locally any more. It is THAT BAD around here.

At the GS, I couldn't even get to the gun table, and had to push my way to the magazine rack. The Tapco 7.62x39 bulk mags, normally sell for $7-8 apiece, now 14.99 each! They didn't have their Saiga and Arsenal builds gouged, but then again they were already charging $1k each for them... time to go back to mail order for me!

- CDNN Investments

25-50% overnight price increase on most products. A shame because they have always had competitive pricing. No more it would seem. Yesterdays' $1399 rifle is today's $1899 rifle.

- CTD

50-300% overnight price increase on mags. The "no more guns" policy was quickly reversed when the consumer backlash was heard. Not sure if this is good or bad... but makes me mark them off my list of "go-to" places.

- WalMart pulled evil black guns... do we even care?

- Dick's Sporting Goods pulled EBRs - again do we even care?

Those NOT increasing significantly... pleasantly surprised to see some companies aren't engaging in this:

- Sportsman's Guide

Only marginal price increase on ammo, < 10%

- MidwayUSA

No price increase on "evil" accessories and mags

Seriously between these two companies alone I think I can do all my shopping. I am simply not going to buy at gouged prices, regardless of what it is.

See less See more
#37 ·
HMMMMM I DODNT BUY MY STUFF TO MAKE MONEY BUT IF SOME IDIOT WANTS TO GIVE ME $1200 FOR A ROMMY KIT ON A NDS RECIVER ID CONSIDER IT. IM NOT LOOKING TO GOUGE ANY ONE BUT IF SOME ONE OFFERS STUPID MONEY WHAT ARE YOU SUSPOSED TO DO SAY NO?????? I SEE KITS AT 700 AN STUFF LIKE THAT. NOBODY IS BENDING YOUR ARM TO BUY. HOWEVER WHEN BUSSINESS START JACKING UP PRICES THATS A LITTLE DIFFERANT.

I CONSIDERED SELLING A FEW MAGS OFF AN MAYBE A KIT OR TWO TO MAKE A HOUSE PAYMENT . MAYBE IT WOULD BE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE SITUATION OR MABE IF i SELL A KIT OR GUN IN TWO YEARS THAT PREBAN 2013 RIFLW WILL BE WORTH $5000 AN THE BUYER THINKS HE SCRWED ME OVER GETTING IT FOR A GRAND. WHO KNOWS. OR THYE MAY BE OUT RIGHT BANNED AN EVERY ONE WILL LOSE THERE ASS.

MAYBE I SHOULD BE SELLING PVC PIPE AN END CAPS AS ITS LIKELY TO GET SCARCE IF THERE IS A TOTAL BAN LOL .

RENAIGING ON A DEAL IS BS AN SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING .

#38 ·
the welching on the deal for members is the big part and im sure thats what pissed Max off the most....

the gouging aspect is part of life that some people will always fall for.

yes some of us have taken a proactive stance against gouging in our hobby & in particular on this website and at WG.

nothing wrong with people making an honest living or good money.

but when your just outright molesting your fellow builders? thats a totally different story.

theres supply & demand.. & then theres blatant douchery. when that title fits? call it as you see it.

IF everyone grew a set and said NO to this type of thing... it would never be an issue again.

its easy to see who to NEVER EVER deal with or HELP in this hobby & its the people who dont treat you as a fellow builder... but as someone they should plunder and take advantage of.

there are many good vendors out there who have realized that this is the time to establish life long customers by NOT giving them an anal reaming.

#39 ·
the welching on the deal for members is the big part and im sure thats what pissed Max off the most....
Absolutely.
We ran a lot of GBs here back in the old days, all very successful. At one time I was actually a Tapco distributor just from GBs. We sold hundreds of FCGs, pistons and flats.
This was back before there was an ak-builder or DPH arms. When they started out, they offered gunco members deals that made group buys unnecessary. Most of us here have been loyal to them ever since.

But the point is that we've never had a GB blow up like this. I don't like having some tool tarnish our reputation.

To borrow your sig.

say what you mean & mean what you say

#40 ·
Remember when 1patriot used to have the rivet group buys? He would not accept payment until AFTER you recieved your package & were happy!!!!!
Now THAT was a builder helping builders!!!

Remember pitching in so Cheezytwang could go to gunsmithing school ?? I do & I stiil feel a bit of the GUNCO " family" thing.......

When Lois at Centerfire told me about a new forum called Gunco, I started typing it in the browser every few hours until BINGO ! A new forum with about a dozen posts total! Talking about page layouts, forum topics, etc. And NO dues!! Heh....Heh

Been a fun ride so far !!!!

#44 ·
Yeah I remember that Brad.. What ever happened too old Cheezy, did he croak or something?
I tossed in a hundred bucks $$ for that one.. Never got so much as a thank you, or heard from him again.
Think? He went to work for a well known vendor here.. He must have skipped school and went too the bar with the money..
They heaved him through the door, his first day on the job..
Got the check back, it was co-signed "Last Chance Saloon."
Is their any gunsmith schools run by that name?

#43 ·
Starting to wonder here.

Their are approximately 8 kajillion guns and 400 kajillion mags in this country..
With all due respect too our Govt. and laws they pass..
We all still have old "Blue Laws" in all our states, with such ridiculous things as.
"Thow shall not swear on the Sabbath, least you be put in blocks for all to see."
Pass the damn laws. How in the name of God are they going to enforce them?
So just wondering? Maybe Nappie and Feinwit, are buying every weapon related item being produced?
Damn are they going to be sorry when this panic is over, their going to loose their shirts and skirts...

#50 ·
Yeah; I was going to order a couple.....until I saw the 10/22 80% reciever blanks for only $125.00 & free shipping. So I'm ordering a bunch of those instead.
I mean .....hey.... If the reciever blank costs more than a new in the box 10/22 rifle, they must be pretty swell!! right??

#51 ·
I m done buying for awhile i got most of what i need except for small parts, knew something was going to change things, like many here i thought ahead. if we all take a deep breath, prices will stabilize and in some cases go down
just remember the folks who jumped in on the gouging and companies that did not stand up for the 2A

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.