Gunco Forums banner

Price Gougers

5K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  moleman 
#1 ·
A real shame that these retailers are opportunistically taking advantage of the situation... capitalism at its "finest" :( I have no problem with the supply/demand margins, but gouging is turning me off to any gun related purchases I was planning to make in the upcoming months.

Went to the gun show... let's just say if you wanted a rifle, expect to pay a significant markup on it if you haven't already purchased it. Ditto for magazines. Most of them are jumping up in prices... not just crawling up!

This is my list, feel free to add to it. The local places in the region have never been known to have competitive prices, but now they are severely gouging magazine prices and EBR prices. Enough to the point that I am simply not going to shop locally any more. It is THAT BAD around here.

At the GS, I couldn't even get to the gun table, and had to push my way to the magazine rack. The Tapco 7.62x39 bulk mags, normally sell for $7-8 apiece, now 14.99 each! They didn't have their Saiga and Arsenal builds gouged, but then again they were already charging $1k each for them... time to go back to mail order for me!

- CDNN Investments

25-50% overnight price increase on most products. A shame because they have always had competitive pricing. No more it would seem. Yesterdays' $1399 rifle is today's $1899 rifle.

- CTD

50-300% overnight price increase on mags. The "no more guns" policy was quickly reversed when the consumer backlash was heard. Not sure if this is good or bad... but makes me mark them off my list of "go-to" places.

- WalMart pulled evil black guns... do we even care?

- Dick's Sporting Goods pulled EBRs - again do we even care?

Those NOT increasing significantly... pleasantly surprised to see some companies aren't engaging in this:

- Sportsman's Guide

Only marginal price increase on ammo, < 10%

- MidwayUSA

No price increase on "evil" accessories and mags

Seriously between these two companies alone I think I can do all my shopping. I am simply not going to buy at gouged prices, regardless of what it is.

See less See more
#2 ·
All the AR-15 forum members selling lowers ect. have marked all their prices up $350+ for lowers and that is selling to fellow members. Gunco is a community forum as is the ak forum....... but ar-15 forum members have lost all my respect for what they are doing to fellow members

#3 ·
yep-- the same brat-like mentality that AR-15 & m4 sites have had all along has come back to bit them in the @ss.

those kind of sites are there to exploit the mall-ninja mentality so that sort of thinking is considered normal for the younger generation.

the irony is the mall-rat/mall-ninja's got us all into this gun control mess to begin with.

makes me want to kick some punk ass--

anyway i better get back to building 1911s since all the ar/ak shit has suddenly turned into gold--(or contraband)--LOL!

damn maybe i should build a wheel gun--???

#4 ·
It is what it is. Supply and demand. Those who came late to the game are screwed for now, maybe forever. Me, I have one left to build, and am relegated to looking for a piece here and a piece there at a semi reasonable price. Getting hard to do that too.

Some sellers have kept their prices the same, and some have gone crazy. I guess when the future is uncertain, you need to make what you can because you may not have a business in the future the way it looks.

I respect both, but will choose to only do business with 1 type going forward. We all have those choices to make.

I sold a part someone needed at what I paid a yr ago plus shipping, because he could only find them 3 - 4 times that price now. To me it isn't about making buck on a fellow, it's about seeing another firearm in the hands of a fellow enthusiast/patriot.

Hell, I traded a crutch folder stock for a wooden stock even up, because I wanted a wooden stock, and he wanted a crutch folder. It's not always about the money.

If a ban does come down, the prices you see now will look like great prices.... unfortunately most of it is priced out of the market for me.

#5 ·
JSE, cobra tac, SMG, matt-d, DSG, hell even SARCO and a number of places have not increased their prices much "yet"--

so not everybody is pulling a fast one in wake of the disaster.

however be aware when they try to restock the jobbers are going to stick them with a big price increase.

i figure were going to see parts dry up because the parts makers will be reluctant to make a bunch of parts that they might not be able to sell in the future and they don't want to get stuck with a warehouse full of contraband.

market pressure is all upward on prices regardless who is selling them.

#6 ·
I have always liked Curtiss at AKbuilder. With his new huge ads in Shotgun News, I hope he gets to build a nice nest egg out of this madness.
Same for Scott/ DPH.

#8 ·
A year ago I could not sell my Yugo AK M70, for $500 localy. I ended up cutting it in half and selling it as a parts kit on the forums.

Year ago I could not sell my romanian M65 underfolder AK, for $600 so I just kept it, and good thing that I did.

It still hurts me that I did not keep my M70

#9 ·
Yeah, remember who all these price gougers are and when the dust settles and things get back to normal they will be hurting from lack of sales then. IF it ever gets back to normal.

#10 ·
I bought a yugo M70 underfolder at the local gun shop the sunday before the craziness began. I wasnt really there to buy a new gun, but it was on consignment and I had a little bit of money burning a hole in my pocket, so I made the mistake of looking at it. Price was $650 maybe a bit of a premium but I really liked it with the wooden furniture. They offer 5% military discount. So in the end the price with tax out the door was 647 dollars.
As we get to talking the guy looks at the tag with the price and says Oops forget to mention 7 mags are included which made it a better deal for me. I think I could get 25 a mag and really offset the price of the gun now if I wanted, but I decided just to keep them.
Then saturday right after the shooting. A guy local posts up a wasr 10 with ammo for $400. Im not buying because of the craziness, I wanted it because 400 bucks for a AK with a bunch of ammo was too good a deal to pass up. Turns out there was over 1000 rounds in the ammo can. I could probably sell the rifle for more than $400 today even though its a 10 round version and keep the ammo for profit. But I didnt buy it to flip.
I think the idea is to get into these thing in the right price and its really not worth selling because for a enthusiast its hard to replace these things as cheap as we bought them for originally. jim

#12 ·
Dutigaf your welcome to use any of this info if you want

Just went to a show today. All the basic ARs (the ones you'd see for $500-800 a few weeks ago) were marked $2000, basic uppers were 800-1200 and stripped lowers for $400-500.

A Century VZ58 for $900

AKs for $800+, a couple Saiga 12s for $1000-1200 (not converted styles), surplus mags for $30-35

Surprising though most of the pistols were still priced about the same before all this started

#19 ·
Wal-Mart did not pull the black rifles, just sold out. Maybe its a on-site management decision at a few stores ? This is walmarts corporate home and they are still for sale here, if they can get more so i find it hard to believe that it was a company wide decision. Local one still had a Sig .22 AR on the rack today.

#21 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI,
1st.I never cancelled this sale 7.62x39 did, I still agreed to the salebut limited it to 50 pc at that price. You could barlly get 25commited before the SHTF
2nd. I never said this would be from stock on hand. I said I had stoke on hand & you ASSUMED that is where these would come from.
3rd. I did limint it to current members, I didn't want a bunch of guys to just join to buy my UNDER priced lowers. Like I stated before this is why I don't like doing GB. Never had any drama on my WG GB. Ban me if you wish.

It's your sand box play as you will.
Merry Christmas

#22 ·
Are you serious?
Here are our PMs on the matter, newest on top. Did you really think I wouldn't have saved them?

Last one I sent you

"If you wanted to put in any stipulations such as a minimum post count, that would have been fine, but you should have told me that BEFORE I started the buy, not afterwards.

I specifically asked you and You told me just 48 hours before you posted that, that you had them in stock, ready to go, so that's what I told them.

Great deal? $5 off and free shipping, is a good deal but not exactly earth shattering. Hardly worth the effort of a GB. The only reason we were even doing it was because you supposedly had them in stock and nobody else did."

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodey
Really? GunBroker.com - Page Not Found

Ya, it's all me. You should pull the plug on this. I'm suposed to sell my stock lowers I'm getting $190 shipped to some 6 post newbe that just joins the site? If you don't think that price is fair in these times or ANY times for that matter Great & this is why I don't do group buys. You people have NO CLUE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62x39
Woodey,

What wtf happened? You told me we were all set, I put it in motion, now you don't have them? I already had 27 sold. You're making me look like a total idiot here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodey
Looking to help out with a GB of 30+ pc I have 70 raw in stock & 80 ano in route W/160 to follow + 50 retro engtaved

#24 ·
Some of us bought mags as a commodity, an investment. I started that 2 years ago. Just after thanksgiving I was working a deal for 500 or so P Mags. It fell through because I chickened out. I expected the next shooting would be the one to instigate a ban. I figured I could double my money.

That being said, THIS IS INSANE! But everyone else had the chance to buy like I did. I just sold 30 ar mags locally for 18 each. Double my investment. If I sell on arf its one price, if its local or people I have interacted with its a different price.

#30 ·
When I read this post I assumed a crazy price like that must be Gunbroker. So I went and looked. I see Romy's with new barrels for $285.00. But I can't find any for $700.00 ???
Where did you see the $700.00 price?? Maybe with a Nodak receiver & a couple thousand rounds of Wolf???

#26 ·
I know all about supply and demand. But, if you strike a deal with someone, you should follow through with it. You don't pull the plug after the deal is set in motion.
If a guy want's to be a weasel profiteer, fine, but do it after you honor your commitment.

And then to come back with a pack of lies and try to make it look like it's our fault that the deal fell through is a real is really the bottom of the barrel.
At least be a man and tell the truth. Tell it like it is, which would be, I don't give a crap what I promised the forum, I only care about how much money I can squeeze out of these receivers, F everybody else.

#27 ·
supply and demand don't have anything to do with what some are doing what's sad is people are actually paying the prices

hats off to a local shop, supplier called up said he had a scar in 223 for 3500 and a 308 for 4500, make an easy 500 each on them. dealer told him no, if he paid that then that's what they are worth and they are not worth that. supplier said he was hearing alot of that

cdnn jacked their prices, first said their website was down when yes it was down so they could go through and jack all their prices, once down boom back up. 899 and 999 rifles now 1399 or so.........

hats off to those that didn't jack people, you will be remembered

#28 ·
not a group buy, but a guy local had a chinese type56 ak with the folding bayonet locally for 495 the other day. I emailed him and told him I would take it. He came back and explained there was no markings on the reciever etc. but did get alot of interest. So he said he was going to reprice it and advertise it again. This time $595. I emailed back and said I would still take it. But if he had any questions I would be happy to answer them as best I could. He called later and said he was still getting flooded with people wanting it at full price and wondering what was up with it. I told him I did some googling and it seems that rifle was probably a parts kit built on a blank rec. since there was no markings, but I also told him the cut up rifle was probably worth a good bit more than the 595 asking price for the whole gun. I agreed to the asking price but didnt want to lie about anything I looked up. In the end he decided to keep the rifle. I told him to look up the type 56 ak and see what they were selling for on the gun auction sites. jim

#31 ·
It looks like our buddy may have bottomed out. His latest gunbroker auction is stalled out at $100. Maybe people have come to their senses and stopped the panic buying.

80% AR15 Lower receiver NEW OLD STOCK : AR15 Parts at GunBroker.com

I hope he gets stuck sitting on a bunch of them. I know he will never sell another one here or on weapons guild. They have already banned him when he tried register a new account under another screen name.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.