Gunco Forums banner

arkansas and fricking snow--WTH?

4K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  Bradrock 
#1 ·
well the snow is falling , the wind is howling. the power is blinking on and off, the dogs and cats ALL want IN, and the woodpile is taking a beating--

WTF IS GLOBAL WARMING? :cold::cold::cold:

:cold::cold::cold::cold::cold::cold: 4th ya taking any boarders???

#3 ·
I'm on the state line & it's been dark like night all day here. Cold & windy , but no snow yet. Youins can keep it down there!! Heh...Heh

I'm loving the propane heater I installed in my workshop last year. Way better than wood barrel stove I had! Set the thermostat & turn wrenches!! Oh YEAH!!

#9 ·
It's coming down heavy here now too.
Damn wind! I just spent a years worth of hobby / fun money on a new roof & I hope the dang shingles stay on!!!!!

Good grief this is a windy place! I need to build some windmills I think.......

#16 ·
(G) wish I didn't know what snow was but we have about 12-inches of fresh snow this morning Merry Christmas by the way and I snowblowed and a friend came and plowed and I had him plow out the neighbors, Snow what fun Stuff..lol on the plus side there are no mosquitos or rampaging elephants..lol Alaska never has a shortage of snow

#17 ·
al-gore ? whee is some of that global-warming? --had a mini-blizzard christmas day--

now my firewood has got a foot of snow and i got to dig it out of the freezing stuff!

i guess i am lucky the power didn't go down --as entergy has got really el-cheapo of repairing stuff---:rofl:

you folks in alaska must be born and bread for the cold i tell ya!

if this keeps up i might be looking for a warmer place to winter--LOL

global-warming my ass---:rofl::help::help:

#20 ·
Snow, haven't seen any of that stuff since I was a kid, It's going to be 35 here tonight, but no snow in the forecast! Last ice storm was in 1989 & that was a showstopper for us!

#21 ·
We're finally getting some here in VT, got 8-10 on the ground so far with 20-30 mph winds. Blowing it every which a way!! Very pretty, getting around not so good but still beautiful to see. There calling for about 16-20" or so by Friday afternoon.

Only bad part is that it will mess up what ice that had already started locking up the bays. With this it will definatley make the lake cool off real quickly so we can get some more ice on and get some fishing in,, can't wait. It's looking like the Valentines day storm we got in 2010, lots of wind and snow, we got some drifts in the front yard that are already about 3' deep, time to break out the blower and get busy. All my birds are flocking around looking for the seed I usually put out each morning, there looking hungry this morning after hanging on to the tree branch's for dear life all night!!. Very windy and snowing last night too.

#22 ·
So, about 9 o'clock Christmas night the power went out. Its still out. We are all electric but have a fireplace. At least we have water, since we are on city water instead of a well like last time it went out for several days during an ice storm. I ran out of firewood, so my son and I cut and split wood yesterday. He and my daughter-in-law and my grand daughter are staying with us since they have no heat at all. Cooking on the coleman stove and fireplace. Came into work today, hence being able to be on the computer now. The gas stations that have power are out of gas. Was able to get some of the last gas around. Now to the point of my story-We were woefully unprepared. I am now going to make it my number 1 priority to stock up on supplies for a winter senario. I've got food, guns, bullets, etc. Firewood, generator, fuel--severly lacking. It wont happen again!

#23 ·
We finally got some snow last nite and this morning! No power outages, but I did pick up another 5gal diesel fuel can for the generator so I figure that was enough to ward off the power outtage grimlin.
Mtdew, is your heater electric? Ours is LP and of course has an electric blower, but our water is off of a 220v well so we needed a generator that would put out a fair amount. I ended up getting lucky and got a diesel 10k running, 12k surge generator for $500 because a guy who lived in the city (where there's 8' or less between the houses) thought the generator was too loud, and stinky. Works fine for me, I have it out by the pole barn. It will power everything in the house including the well, furnace, AC, and a welder. Some things don't like the power off of it like florescent lights and our microwave? The computers , tvs, and stove work just fine though.

#24 ·
Moleman, our heater is electric, heat-pump type. I can heat w/ fireplace no prob but the other conveineances need power. We still have the well pump, but its 70' down so I dont know if theres a manual pump that would handle that much rise, in case city water got shut off. I would like to be able to be totally self-sufficeant in case all utilities were down for a long time or even forever.

#25 ·
The only thing I'm not set for is power outages,but can live quite well without it if need be, just water would be the issue, I've got 2 55's and 25-30 gallon jugs ready though, so I'd be OK for a long time. Everything else I have an alternate for.

This is what it's looking like around here today, looking out over my South 40 and Lake Champlain icing up, went out and did some drift busting with the new truck and a nice walk in the woods today. Love the changing seasons. Even broke in the new snow shoes I got last Christmas and the new snow blower,,,, all is good with the world!!! 18" and counting, expecting 2-3" more tonight and 5-6" more tomorrow with some sun by afternoon,,,,yottie hunting tomorrow with the new 223,,,,,maybe???? A nice walk on Mt Independence would be nice, for sure. I love winter too!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.