Gunco Forums banner

New York newspaper posts names of gun owners

4K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  dcholl 
#1 ·
#5 ·
PAY BACK IS A BITCH THE NEWSPAPERS EMPLOYIES NAMES HAVE BEEN POSTED AS WELL AS MAPPED AN A GOGGLE EARTH PICK OF THE PUBLISHERS HOME . IM LOVING THIS NOW EVERY ONE NEEDS TO MAIL THEM A LETTER A ASKING HOW IT FEELS??
government

Comment

inShare.31

Journalists’ Addresses Posted In Revenge For Newspaper’s Google Map Of Gun Permit Owners

Gregory Ferenstein

posted 4 hours ago

474 Comments

A week after the Newtown massacre, The Journal News published an interactive Google Map with the names and addresses of gun permit owners in select New York cities. The bold move has escalated into a transparency arms race, after a Connecticut lawyer posted the phone number and addresses of the Journal‘s staff, including a Google Maps satellite Image of the Publisher’s home. “I don’t know whether the Journal’s publisher Janet Hasson is a permit holder herself, but here’s how to find her to ask,” read Christopher Fountain’s blog post. The double irony here is that open data was heralded as a tool of enlightened civic dialog, and has been co-opted for fierce partisanship, bordering on public endangerment.

The Journal‘s original publication of the map sparked nationwide outrage and thousands of angry comments. Gun permit holding is public information in New York, and can be acquired through a mere request via the Freedom of Information Act. But, coming on the heals of the Newtown shooting, the publication had a clear provocative intent. “New York residents have the right to own guns with a permit and they also have a right to access public information,” said a defiant Hasson.

Given that Bushmaster .223-caliber rifle used in the School shooting was reportedly legally registered with the killer’s mother, the Google Map sparked a debate about whether gun owners should be labeled like other potential menaces to society, “The implications are mind-boggling,” said Marine Scott F. Williams to The Journal News, “It’s as if gun owners are sex offenders (and) to own a handgun risks exposure as if one is a sex offender. It’s, in my mind, crazy.”

Blogger Christopher Fountain took the debate into his own hands, publishing the personal information of The Journals‘ staff. “Hundreds of thousands of readers; Janet, you have a great Christmas Eve,” he wrote, after a popular political outlet, Instapundit, linked to his post.

Ironically, the promise of open data was supposed to lead to open-minded discussion. “If the broad light of day could be let in upon men’s actions, it would purify them as the sun disinfects,” reads the often-cited quote from Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis, who stands a champion to modern-day nonprofits fighting for greater access to health, legislative, and administrative government data.

Open data advocates have struggled to get media attention for their utopian vision of automated government services. This latest use of open data via Google Maps, both to publish gun permit ownership and journalists’ geolocation data, seems to have hit the media sweet spot, as it plays into our debased partisan interests. It appears that transparency lends itself equally to being both a tool of democracy or a partisan weapon.

#6 ·
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — A New York newspaper that unleashed a public outcry after it published the names and addresses of residents with pistol permits is being protected by armed guards.

The guards have been posted at its White Plains headquarters and in a satellite office in West Nyack since last week, publisher Janet Hasson said. "The safety of my staff is my top priority," she told The New York Times
Link to TNYT article
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/n...n-permit-records-from-journal-news.html?_r=1&

#7 ·
I read somewhere that a blogger is going to start posting the personal info of the newspapers ADVERTISERS !!!
Now that's the way to get the bitches atention!! Heh...Heh

#8 ·
The blogger did do it, I think it was the week after the paper posted it's article, that's why they got the guards. :D

I hope everyone of the permit holders sue the paper and everyone involve, take everything from them

#9 ·
#11 ·
#12 · (Edited)
Screw them. It could have been gun owners getting poisoned and bombed just is easy. In my opinion the media has declared war on gun owners. up until this point the media's just been allowed to do whatever they please with no repercussions to their lies and made up stuff. what better way for the medie to get even more anti gun attention than mailing themselves their own threat. The media needs to stop going unchecked and be held accountable for their actions. suddenly they feel somebody with guns is needed to protect them isn't that ironic?

#16 ·
An update - releasing names endangers public: this guy makes perfect sense:

Defiant county official refuses to hand over list of gun owners to newspaper | Fox News

The article makes several points that this information is public, and is easily obtainable via other means. In other words if someone is making a "robbery list" of unarmed houses they could still get this information. But it is good to see it being up for consideration. I especially like this point:

Some readers say it unfairly stigmatized gun owners, branding them in the same way as online maps showing where child molesters live.
THAT is the reason that I personally believe it is "improper" for the newspaper to receive fake anthrax. It paints the stigmatization that gun owners are unbridled vigilantes.

#17 ·
THAT is the reason that I personally believe it is "improper" for the newspaper to receive fake anthrax. It paints the stigmatization that gun owners are unbridled vigilantes.
That assumes the sender is a gun owner, a fact which is not in evidence. How do you know it isn't some other crazy using the turmoil for their own ends?

#18 ·
Right. It is either someone on the pro-gun side saying "I'll show these fuckers" or it is someone on the anti-gun side saying "I'm going to make the gun owners look bad".

Either way we gun owners get villified. Unfortunately the adage that "Perception = Reality" holds true regardless of the facts.

#19 ·
My guess is the paper sent the package to themselves to help cover their ass.

Right out of " Rules for radicals"

and I'm NOT joking.

#20 ·
I saw were the other county official refused good for him.

I also suspect the newspaper mailed stuff to themselves to generate a story.

I wonder if the paper published the employees that were gun permit holders???

maybe its time gun owners make it clear they will not take this crap. Imo the media is walking on thin ice. you screw with the wrong person you might have a incident .
also posting peoples address for any group is bad imo. how would you feel if you were a battered spouse hiding form her abuser who had gotten a gun permit for protection an some ass hole reporter hands your abuse / soon to be killer your address??? during the last governor recall attempt people who signed the petition got there names an address published an a few were fearful of being found by stalkers .

if were forced to register our guns per the fienstines bill our names will be public record!

I don't like to make threats but IMO messing with a gun owner is not a good idea some might not share my sense of right an wrong . keep poking the lion in the cage an it might get out. it seems to me that the media has declared war on legal gun owners at what point are they going to fight back. sooner or latter its going to end bad. they ignore it when people successfully defend themselves an spoon feed emotion's every time a crime is committed. Now the very news who has singled out people want to play play victim .

I saw on one site were a member suggested ever one send the paper a bullet with a letter saying they didn't appreciate being singled out. I initially though it a bad idea but its has grown on me. I suspect it would be taken as a threat an that you would get in trouble. I do think an ,mass ,mailing of letters with carefully written reply is in order.

#21 ·
Fuck that,,, hit them where it hurts,,, sue um!!!! HARD!!!!! If my name and address had been published ,, I'd have them by the balls,,, where in Hell is the NRA on this,,, not a frigging peep on this from them unless I missed it, but I have at least 2-3 e-mails from them every day asking for contributions,,, what's up with that??

Time for a law suit sponsored by the NRA IMO,,, guess I'd better write them too,,,, DAMN,, my fingers are starting to bleed from all this typing!!!!!!!

#23 ·
Fuck that,,, hit them where it hurts,,, sue um!!!! HARD!!!!! If my name and address had been published ,, I'd have them by the balls,,, where in Hell is the NRA on this,,, not a frigging peep on this from them unless I missed it, but I have at least 2-3 e-mails from them every day asking for contributions,,, what's up with that??
Time for a law suit sponsored by the NRA IMO,,, guess I'd better write them too,,,, DAMN,, my fingers are starting to bleed from all this typing!!!!!!!

your forgot they feel there protected by a constitutional amendment that allows them the freedom to do this legal . Imagine that using the 1st amendment like a criminal to take away the second. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I think its time that people start using the first amendment to save the second .

#24 ·
These morons dont think about what can happen, to me this constitutes privacy violationsand a few other things, Now take it a step further, If some stupid gang banging scum bag, breaks into your house for your guns and kills someone, I would think that due to the newpaper publishing this information would leavve them on the hook for contributing to the death of another by a Negligence. then lets see how much money they loose. ( As for me Im a loop hole kinda guy, and I use these to my advantage and leverage not to break the law! ) But these guys in the news paper have commited violations against these gun owners and I hope they take action against them. When I lived in NYS long ago I left just as soon as Hillery got elected to the NY Senate, cause all I could see was no good comming out her being in office. And I was right. Hell I remember that due to privacy issues ( talking upstate now) a Police Officer couldnt even get your ccw status by records check, if no crime was actually commited weapons would be held for safe keeping until you showed up with your ccw and then all was fine. If You are a LEO in NY State you used to be able to waklk in any gun store and do whats called buy on the badge. You show your badge & ID and sign and your on your way of course were talking about 20 years ago on that one. & to boot if you left a Department you wernt hounded to get a permit you just kept quiet and always had your retired ID & badge on you adn your good to go. And Just so other gun owners know that NY has a habit to deny all pistol permit applications. and there is a couple ways around this. If you have friends who are in Law Enforecement ask them to sign as one of your required refrences and las I knew you needed four. and just dont have them sign have them write a letter. and there is one other way you can get a permit expidited, and that is a New York State Supreame Court Judge can write a letter for you to get your permit, and It can be issued ther same day you talk to the judge. I would only reccommend this process if you in fact know the Judge in question, or you have a contact who dose. and last but not leat you can file for a hearing in civil court for your second amendment rights
and to have a permit issuded. New York has some strange laws, but many are easy to circumvent,for honest people they just need to know how. If anyone needs a hand just send me a PM now if your in NYC or queens, brooklyn, Bronx Etc. You face a tougher battle but as I said they are ways to stick it too the state for when they deny you your rights just because they want to. Doc

#25 ·
Follow up: Hope they get sued

Burglars Hit Home of Gun Owner ID’d by Newspaper

Jan 13, 2013

The home of a gun owner, whose address was published by a New York newspaper, has been burglarized and a state lawmaker said it appears the burglars may have used the newspaper’s map to target the residence.

“Luckily the gun was locked up and no one was hurt,” Sen. Greg Ball said.

The residence in White Plains, was identified in an interactive map that identified the names and addresses individuals who have gun permits. It was published by The Journal News — a Gannett Co. newspaper.

The elderly homeowner, who legally owns weapons, was not at home at the time of the burglary.

“The police are doing a full investigation,” the unidentified man told NewsDay. Police said it appears the burglars targeted the homeowner’s gun safe.

The newspaper has come under intense national exposure after they published a list of residents who have gun permits.

Among the most vocal local opponents is Sen. Ball — who said the newspaper had put law-abiding citizens in danger.

“The Journal News has placed the lives of these folks at risk by creating a virtual shopping list for criminals and nut jobs,” said Ball. “If the connection is proven, this is further proof that these maps are not only an invasion of privacy but that they present a clear and present danger to law-abiding, private citizens.”

Ball is introducing legislation Monday to protect the names of New Yorkers who have legally obtained gun permits.

“Former convicts have already testified to the usefulness of the asinine Journal News ‘gun maps’ yet the reckless editors are evidently willing to roll the dice, gambling with the lives of innocent local homeowners,” Ball said.

The Affiliated Police Association of Westchester County said they plan to hold the newspaper accountable for any attacks on their residences of their 25,000 members.

Ball said the newspaper, whose parent company owns USA Today, is coddling terrorists.

“The same elitist eggheads who use their editorial page to coddle terrorists and criminals are now treating law abiding citizens like level three sexual predators,” he said. “This is not about the Second Amendment; these bills are simply about commonsense and personal privacy. Publishing this information on a website, as we have evidently just witnessed in the recent attempted gun burglary, provides criminals with a map of where they can steal firearms from lawful owners for later use in the commission of crimes.”

Burglars Hit Home of Gun Owner ID’d by Newspaper | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

#26 ·
We discussed this here at the store the other day. JRS comment is exactly what we figured would happen. The "bad" guys will break into the good guy's homes until they find an unlocked firearm. Then they will use use it on the homes that weren't on the list to steal everything. And, the paper will say it wasn't their fault.

#27 ·
Sounds like a potential lawsuit against the paper if they capture the burglars and they admit to using the newspaper's online map. Other gunowners identified could also join the suit as they could have been targeted and lived in fear as a result. The burglary just strengthens the suit against the paper for all.

#28 ·
Well there is apparently a woman whos address was protected by the court to avoid a stalker or an ex or something so she moved and purchased a gun for protection against said individual. Now her address is out there and I'm not sure if it's hearsay or real but heard the guy she was hiding out from has since contacted her at her address.

Dumb F*ckin move by the news paper. They bitch about people abusing the 2nd Amendment, but turn around and Abuse the 1st. And according to some of the people there it was meant to target the home.

Wife buys home, husband buys guns, wife's name ends up on this list even though she doesn't own any guns in her name. So their intent was to target the homes of the individual for what looks like intimidation. This recent incident goes with what has been said. Was it an accident that it was the home of a 70 year old man??? Probably not. They are probably just going after the percieved soft targets. They might have taken the gun and went and robbed a nearby house without any guns in it.

#29 ·
HMM MY NOW BANNED ASSULT WEAPONS WERE ALL STOLEN BUY CRIMINALS THAT GOT MY NAME FROMTHE NEWS PAPER. I D LIKE TO TURN THEM IN BUT THERE ALL GONE NOW. IF YOU CATCH THEM LET ME KNOW.

I WAS THINKING HOW EASY IT WOULD BE TO SET UP THE NEWSPAPER BY CLAIMING YOU WERE BURGULARISED BY THIEVES USING THE LIST WHEN YIOU WERE ON VACATION I WONDER HOW INSURANCE COMPANYS WILL FEEL ABOUT PAYING GUNS LOST CLAIMS FUELED BY ROBBERS WITH A MAP AN WELL A CRIMINALS CHECKING TO SEE IF OWNERS ARE ARMED OR NOT AN SELECTING HOMES WERE THERE ARE NO GUNS. INSURACE COMPANYS HAVE POWER AN IF THEY FEEL THAT THERE PAYING FOR CRIMES FACILITATED BY THE NEWSPAPER THEY MIGHT HAVE A THING OR TWO TO SAY. JUST TALKING OUT LOUD HERE.

MAGAZINES AN GUN PARTS ARE WORTH LOTS OF MONEY AN ARE SOUGHT BY CRIMINALS. WHEN A AR 15 UPPER GOES FOR A GRAND AN MAGS ARE GFOING FOR $50 EACH ITS EASY MONEY AN THERE IS NO SERIAL NUMBERS. A PARTED OUT AR IS LIKELY WORTH $700 WITH A FEW MAGS AN AMMO. THE LIBERALS HAVE MADE THE PROBLEM WORTH MAKING SOME OF THIS STUFF VERY DESIRABLE AN CREATING PEOLE WHO WILL PAY ANY PRICE TO GET THE STUFF. IF A CROOK CAN GET A AR OR OTHER GUN WERE RECIVERS WERE LEGAL THE PARTS ARE VALUABLE. A STRIPPED OUT 1911 PISTOL IS WORTH A BUNCH.

EVER WERE AL THE LOOSE SLIDES, UPPERS, PARTS ON GUNBROKER COME FROM???????? EVER THINK ITS FUNNY A GUY IS SELLING EVERY PART FOR A AR OR 1911 BUT THE RECIVER ???????????????????????? I HAVE.

I ALSO KNEW OF A COP SUSPECTED OF DIRTY WHO HAD A LOT OF 1911,S THAT ALL HAD ESSEX OR SIMULAR FRAMES WONDER WERE HE GOT ALL THE OTHER PARTS?????????? GUYS DONT GENREALY PART UT A PERFECTLY GOOD GUN FOR A LOSS. ( YEA THERE ARE DEMILLERS WHO TAKE CONSCIFICATED GUNS DESTROY THE RECIVER AN SEEL THE PARTS BUT THATS BEEN DYING OUT AS WELL)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.