Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New York newspaper posts names of gun owners

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Default New York newspaper posts names of gun owners

Check this crap out. new york newspaper posts the names and addresses of all gun owners within 2 counties....Crazy!!

Newspaper Posts Gun Owners' Names | ABC News - Yahoo! News
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

Now the "bad" guys know where not to go.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Don View Post
    Now the "bad" guys know where not to go.
    Or where to go; depending on how you read the map.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

PAY BACK IS A BITCH THE NEWSPAPERS EMPLOYIES NAMES HAVE BEEN POSTED AS WELL AS MAPPED AN A GOGGLE EARTH PICK OF THE PUBLISHERS HOME . IM LOVING THIS NOW EVERY ONE NEEDS TO MAIL THEM A LETTER A ASKING HOW IT FEELS??

government

Comment

inShare.31

Journalists’ Addresses Posted In Revenge For Newspaper’s Google Map Of Gun Permit Owners

Gregory Ferenstein

posted 4 hours ago

474 Comments

A week after the Newtown massacre, The Journal News published an interactive Google Map with the names and addresses of gun permit owners in select New York cities. The bold move has escalated into a transparency arms race, after a Connecticut lawyer posted the phone number and addresses of the Journal‘s staff, including a Google Maps satellite Image of the Publisher’s home. “I don’t know whether the Journal’s publisher Janet Hasson is a permit holder herself, but here’s how to find her to ask,” read Christopher Fountain’s blog post. The double irony here is that open data was heralded as a tool of enlightened civic dialog, and has been co-opted for fierce partisanship, bordering on public endangerment.

The Journal‘s original publication of the map sparked nationwide outrage and thousands of angry comments. Gun permit holding is public information in New York, and can be acquired through a mere request via the Freedom of Information Act. But, coming on the heals of the Newtown shooting, the publication had a clear provocative intent. “New York residents have the right to own guns with a permit and they also have a right to access public information,” said a defiant Hasson.

Given that Bushmaster .223-caliber rifle used in the School shooting was reportedly legally registered with the killer’s mother, the Google Map sparked a debate about whether gun owners should be labeled like other potential menaces to society, “The implications are mind-boggling,” said Marine Scott F. Williams to The Journal News, “It’s as if gun owners are sex offenders (and) to own a handgun risks exposure as if one is a sex offender. It’s, in my mind, crazy.”

Blogger Christopher Fountain took the debate into his own hands, publishing the personal information of The Journals‘ staff. “Hundreds of thousands of readers; Janet, you have a great Christmas Eve,” he wrote, after a popular political outlet, Instapundit, linked to his post.

Ironically, the promise of open data was supposed to lead to open-minded discussion. “If the broad light of day could be let in upon men’s actions, it would purify them as the sun disinfects,” reads the often-cited quote from Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis, who stands a champion to modern-day nonprofits fighting for greater access to health, legislative, and administrative government data.

Open data advocates have struggled to get media attention for their utopian vision of automated government services. This latest use of open data via Google Maps, both to publish gun permit ownership and journalists’ geolocation data, seems to have hit the media sweet spot, as it plays into our debased partisan interests. It appears that transparency lends itself equally to being both a tool of democracy or a partisan weapon.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — A New York newspaper that unleashed a public outcry after it published the names and addresses of residents with pistol permits is being protected by armed guards.

The guards have been posted at its White Plains headquarters and in a satellite office in West Nyack since last week, publisher Janet Hasson said. "The safety of my staff is my top priority," she told The New York Times
    Link to TNYT article
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/ny...ews.html?_r=1&
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I read somewhere that a blogger is going to start posting the personal info of the newspapers ADVERTISERS !!!
    Now that's the way to get the bitches atention!! Heh...Heh
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

The blogger did do it, I think it was the week after the paper posted it's article, that's why they got the guards.

I hope everyone of the permit holders sue the paper and everyone involve, take everything from them
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America , you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I heard that some of the staff got armed guards for their property. Just heard via the rumor mill so can't corroborate this. But it would be ironically funny if it's true!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.