Gunco Forums banner

grand-pa tell me bout the good old days!

2K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Abukai08 
#1 ·
ok here the meat of this thread--

you got to tell something from your past that was good that we don't have no more--

EXAMPLE---

"back in the good old days we thought $69 and free shipping was too much for a new looking de-milled rommy "G" kit!"

PS it don't have to be about guns either--

#3 ·
22 years ago I could have had SKS's brand new in the box still packed in cosmoline for $79 each. Looking back I wish I would have bought 10 of them. Instead not really appreciatung what they were I said yeah, no. What a dumb ass!!

As for non-gun related I can remember being a kid and going to the corner store with a buck and getting 2 cans of Mountain Dew and 4 candy bars AND CHANGE!!!

#5 · (Edited)
Guns in school

Yes we had guns in school. it was 1976 and the high school had 400 students. Several kids went out and trapped *****, & coyotes in the morning and brought whatever they got from their traps into school in the back of the truck. Yep, they had a little rifle behind the seat so they could humanely kill what may not have died in the trap.
Teachers knew it, hell even the principal knew it. I saw him out there one day talking to a couple of guys while holding up a raccoon.

I worried more about the kid that was a black belt in karate than I ever did about the kids that hunted and trapped.

#6 ·
How about being able to fill up your truck which was on empty and buy a 6-pack of some tasty beverage with a $20 and get change back.

And guns/hunting & school were why there was always a snow day the first day of deer season. The school knew half the kids weren't going to be there which causes them to loose state money (or at least thats how it was explaned to me at the time) so they just called it a snow day!

#10 ·
Well I'm only 38 but I can remember a time when people were proud to be American, the country was prosperous and people had a good outlook on the future of the nation. That's the country I remember growing up in while today government dependency is what today's youth aspire to. I remember getting gas for under a buck. I use to put $5 at a time at the gas pump and get around town for a few days while cigarettes were around $1.50 a pack. I remember air condition was an option on New cars and so were power windows. Oh and we didn't have the government's nose stuck into everything we did.

#11 ·
You could buy firearms (pistols, rifles, shotguns, dewat MGs) through the mail with no restrictions.

Crime rate was much lower than today. It is amazing how outlawing guns increased the crime rate.

You didn't have to worry about pedaphiles like you do today. Women could move freely outside the home without being raped.

THERE WAS NO DRUG PROBLEM. Beanies for truck drivers (purchased at Truck Stops), and a little pot smoking. It is amazing how outlawing drugs created a drug problem.

You actually trusted the police.

#12 ·
I remember when I was 15(1968)I could walk from my house to the RR Tracks to shoot my guns.I had to walk about two miles thru the burbs for a safe place to shoot away from houses.Today someone would call the police to report that they saw a GUN.

#15 ·
I remember pennies taped to the cigarette packs in vending machines. When prices went up ONE CENT at a time it was the easiest way to give you change from your quarter

#16 ·
I also remember when a "Good" cigar was fifty cents . Now they are ten dollars & up.....
Never thought I'd be using a roach clip on a cigar!!!! Heh.....Heh

#17 ·
$.06 Cokes, bag full of candy for .05

Windows open and doors unlocked at night.

Scraping together $3 to fill up the VW bug. .33/gal. IIRC Yeah, tells you how old I am...

Driving up to school in the AM and seeing you are not the only one with a rifle and/or shotgun in the rack behind the seat. Truck loaded with crawfish traps or pulling a boat.

Buying all your guns, lawnmowers, and hardware at your local Western Auto.

Your local grocery store sold ammo and fireworks.

Not knowing anyone on welfare, food stamps, or faking being disabled so they could collect a gov. check.

Being able to switch jobs on a wim. Didn't like your job? Have another that afternoon. Remember guys that had 12 or more W-2's at the end of the year!

Getting in a fight at school and the coach making you put on some gloves and finish fighting!

Being able to buy a running car for $200.

#19 ·
HMMM IN 1984 I COULD SLING A A5 BROWNING ON MY SHOU750 SHOLDER AN RIDE MY HONDA UP HWY 101 IN CALIFORNA GO TO THE RUSSIAN RIVER DOVE HUNT AN RIDE HOME AN NO ONE THOUGHT IT WAS ODD, IN 1980 THERE WERE STILL GUNS IN THE RACKS AT HIGHT SCHOOL IN THERE WAS A SMOCKING AREA FOR STUDENTS ON SCHOOL PROPERTY WE COULD LEAVE SCHOOL AT LUNCH AN GO GET A BURGER, CRUSING WAS STILL ALIVE IN TOWN ON A FRIDAY NIGHT AN THE GIRLY YOU WERE WITH WASENT GETTING TEXTS AN CALL ON A STUPID CELL PHONE. CAMOEROS AN CHEVELLES COULD BE BOUGHT USED FOR UNDER $1000 . GAS WAS ABOUT 85 CENTS. GIRERATES WERE 75 CENTS. A BOX OF REMINGTON 30-06 SHELLS WERE ABOUT $5. A RUGER SINGLE SIX WAS ABOUT $150. A CHEAP 22 REVOLVER EAS ABOUT $50 .
YOU COULD STILL GET A 1911 FOR ABOUT $175. MAUSERS WERE $45. IF SOME BODY LIPPED OFF YOU SETTTELED IT LIKE MEN AN A WEEK LATER YOU WOULD DRINK TOGETHER. PEOPLE SAYED MARRIED AN YOU HAD A MOTHER AT HOME AFTER SCHOOL AN IF YOU MISSBEHAVED DAD WOULD GET THEM BELT. SCHOOL TEACHERS DID NOT TEACH YOU ABOUT ANAL SEX AN YOU DID NOT HAVE TO PRETEND TO LIKE THE GAY KID. FUR WAS USED TO STAY WARM AN DEER WERE FOR EATING NOT LOOKING AT. ACTORS DIDNT INFLUANCE POLITICS AS MUCH. ILLEAGE ALIENS WERE NOT ON EVERY CORNER AN WHEN CAUGHT WERE DEPORTED . A COP HAD TO PASS A FITNESS TEST AN MEET REQUIRMENTS AS DID A FIRE MAN. YOU DIDNT NEED A 1 YEAR RESERVATION TO GET A CAMP SPOT AN YOU COULD DRIVE OFF THE ROAD. YOU DIDNT HA E TO HAVE $5000 LEASE TO GO HUNTING YO SIMPLY ASKED THE LAND OWNER AN BROUGHT HIM A BOTTLE OR SOME SASUAGE THAT CHRISTMAS. THERE WERE NOT CHRISTMAS DECORATUIONS AT WALL MART SET UP ON HALLOWEEN.

AN WE DIDNT HAVE ALL THESE STUPID COMPUTERS AN INTERNET MEDAI BS

#20 ·
In 1985, I could take up to 3 deer in Placer County as long as I sent a signed tag to the Game Warden signed by the Orphanage that I donated 2 deer to.

Otherwise, I would have to pay a $55 fine (per deer).

Same year, same subject: Game Warden encouraged my friends and I to " get two more" and he would tag them.

122 kids had meat for a month. The Catholic Priest that ran the Orphanage Blessed my Mustang "for my own safety".

#24 ·
I'm only 26 but I remember when you could physically discipline your kids, kids could take a lunch to school without having to pass calorie regulations, and cellphones were for parents so there kids could call them from a pay phone.

Oh yeah I can also remember when the only options kids were given were "go to bed or I'll get you in bed" as opposed to "do you want the iPhone or the Droid"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.