Gunco Forums banner

Sandy Hook, Guns and Hard Questions

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  twa2471 
#1 ·
I finally decided to add a bit of commentary of my own on the Sandy Hook tragedy, with a focus on asking some hard questions about the larger issues, as I see them, involved in this tragedy.

How and why was a clearly very mentally ill young man, who was obsessed with his severe violent computer gaming addition, and was about to be institutionalized, able so easily to gain access to firearms to begin with? Banning guns is the kneejerk emotional reaction to the situation, but it does not deal with the deeper issues raised by the whole incident.

Here are my thoughts on the whole situation, for what is worth:

[video=youtube;pElvpYDXM0M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pElvpYDXM0M]Sandy Hook and Guns - Hard Questions! - YouTube[/video]

#2 ·
We don't have a drug problem, gang problem, or gun problem. We have a morality problem. How many of you are parents/grandparents and medicate or allow your little ones to be "calmed" with medication? It's not a coincidence that we medicate almost all school children and our (USA) ranking in world intelligence has dropped, along with long term psychological problems. This stems from not taking moral responsibility for raising and teaching the children because it's more difficult to do so if they're not calm.
To a healthy mind, violence in video games and television/movies are not a problem. But to a foggy developing mind, could it be a different story? Parents should restrict viewing until the mind is mature enough to understand clearly right from wrong. This requires involvement in the child's life more than just coming home and feeding them. Parents need to know how mentally mature their children are, and quit doping them no matter what the school wants. Lets get back to raising responsible, healthy children: who want to play outside because it's fun, know when it's time to play and when it's time to be still because of teaching and training, not because they're high.

We, as adults need to make better decisions, better MORAL decisions. Be careful who you sleep with. Children need a family unit, not just a visiting or part time father. Over 60% of our children are being born to unwed mothers. (I don't know if the following is factual, but it seems so) and most of them have more than one. How can one parent raise a child/children and work to support them on their own, and give the time necessary to support the growing mind? I don't know about your house, but by the time everyone gets home, meals cooked and eaten, clothes and dishes washed, house cleaned, ect, there's barely time with two people helping. All that to say, be responsible!
If you choose not to believe in God, that's your choice. You probably were not told by your parents that there was no God, maybe some, but few. You were taken to church and allowed to make an informed decision. You owe the same to your child. I can't see any problem with having your child taught the commandments, good morals all of them. It also helps answer the question "Why Daddy" much better than "because that's the right way".
This is just an opinion, and it's mine.

#4 ·
I saw no "hard question" being asked or answered.
The question is how does any sister-loving rat-basturd get their mind so warped as to think that the toys I may have in my closet have anything to do with ANY nut-job and the violence they might do. Sandy Hook, Aurora, Columbine. My guns weren't there. LEAVE ME THE PHUQUE ALONE.
As for mental defectives? Don't care much about them either. It's not 'societys' job to care for them. It's the individual families' job. In the Sandy Hook fiasco, the person responsible, that allowed this to happen, just so happened to be the first victim. Don't pin that dumb bitch's screw-up on me.
I've got other questions, but I'm tired. Good night.
Hunter

#6 ·
Paul I think you put a lot thought into the video an I agreed with a lot of it especially the stuff about owners acting an being seen in a responsible way.

I don't think there are any simple answers I wrote a long reply but the puter lost it.

I respect your thought on the mentally ill an im not sure how to answer it. I see with all thats going on many people will be afraid to get help for fear they will loose gun rights.

Im fearful that many will not seek help for depression, anxiety, marriage counseling or seek help for there kids . id be hesitant to take my son to a counselor if he got into trouble for fear of him getting a label. I'm lucky I have a good kid but I know people that have kids who need help. Will it become a time were dad is afraid to take Little Johnny who acted out at school tot he doctor because he's afraid he cant go hunting with him some day? I don't see a good answer I do think to many kids an people don't get called out for there actions.

I SORT OF SEE IT THAT SOCIETY IS BROKEN AN WE HAVE LOST A LOT OF OUR MORALS WE HAVE NO ONE TO FEEL SHAMEFUL BEFORE. WE NOW ACT LIKE IT DOSENT MATTER WHO KNOWS . FOR SOME RELIGION WAS THE GLUE THAT KEPT US IN CHECK FOR OHTERS IT WAS FAMIALY. WE HAVE LOT A LOT OF VALUSE IN BOTH THOSE AREAS
WE HAVE HAD TV FOR ABOUT 60 YEARS AN IT US WHO ALLOW WHAT ON IT AN ITS US WHO ASK FOR MORE VIOLENCE ON IT SO WHO IS TO BLAME?????

I ALSO THINK MANY GUN OWNERS NEED TO ACESS WHY THEY HAVE THERE WEAPONS AN IF THERE MAKING GOOD CHOICES AS AHOW THEY ACT WITH THEM?

ANY WAY I FELT THE VIDEO WAS DONE RESPONSABLY

#7 ·
Good vid Amsdorf

I respect your thought on the mentally ill an im not sure how to answer it. I see with all thats going on many people will be afraid to get help for fear they will loose gun rights.
This is going to turn into a real problem in the future.
On top of that, most people who have mental problems are treated with drugs, & I feel that those drugs do more harm than good.
All they do is mask the symptoms, & when those folks skip a pill or two they seem worst off than ever before

#8 ·
no one has looked at whatever drugs Rx legal or otherwise the murder may have been involved with.

some of the meds for mental illness have SEVERE side effects some of which cause psyco-breakdowns.

it is just more easy for the government to blame a firearm than review their own policy to the mentally ill and the Rx they take.

there are tens of thosuands like the killer out there in the world taking various meds with unknown side effects that could go haywire at any time.

and the big Rx companys are raking the $$$ in on very expensive drugs that either don't work or cause the very mental problem it is supposed to treat. all paid for with your tax dollars--

it is all a big money grab by the politically connected government insiders and the big $$$ people don't want that to go away.

#9 ·
All we really know is what the media has told us. And the media has been wrong about every single thing so far. Has there been anything official that he was actually mentally ill and going to be Committed or just the new story saying that he was? I also get concerned when the media can get medical records easier than my doctor can . It would be nice if the police reports and everything about this case get released before politician start making recommendations about passing laws. I'm sure that everything about this case has been. Imbelished by the media. I myself and quick to point out he played video games. the truth is we don't know what video games be played how many video games be played or if you even really played video games. for all we really know the only video game he had was pong. Just because anti-gun people are having a knee jerk reaction doesn't mean that we need to do the same with all kinds of rhetoric about what else was wrong with him. Again it would be nice to hear some real facts about what actually happened there. so far all of our information is based on interviews with landscapers and pizza delivery guys and stuff like that. Were is the dad? He had brother what is the brother saying? where are the fax to this case instead of pictures of poor kids that have been killed and stuff like that?

#10 ·
I could give a rats ass about whats wrong with him, his brother or his little ****** mental problems..

Eyewitnesses place him at a mass murder scene. Get the piece of craps face out of the news. Give the little queer his due process mandated by the Constitution of the United States of America and then fry him.

Message to next asshole that wants to shoot the crowd up.

YOU WILL BE PUBLICLY HUMILIATED DURING YOUR EXECUTION.

#11 ·
that's great but he wont be the last mass shooter. how many more hits like this do you think gun owners can take??????

by your descripton he is just another gunowner with a AR killing people an we should just execute him. some buddy better separate him from you an I.

If there is a way to stop the next shooter by knowing what makes this idoit tick Im for it.

I completely agree the media needs to keep these idiots out of the news. the media makes these guys famous an that is wrong imo. There basically keeping score an making it a sport for nut balls .

a kid was caught with plans to bomb his school today apparently he was making bombs got the info off the net. Im betting we will see mass shooting or similar type situation with in the next 3 months.

there ramping up the Colorado shooter trial today an all his issues an problems. It will be in the minds of every sick kid as we speak.

#12 ·
like I said monkey see monkey do. he started making plans same time as the last shooting.

PHENIX CITY, Ala. — An Alabama teenager who described himself as a white supremacist made journal entries about a plot to bomb classmates three days after the Newtown school massacre and began building small homemade explosives, a sheriff said Monday.

Russell County Sheriff Heath Taylor told The Associated Press that he believed the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary was a factor because the first date in the boy's journal describing the plan was Dec. 17 – three days after the Connecticut killings.

Seventeen-year-old Derek Shrout is charged with attempted assault after authorities say he planned to use homemade explosives to attack fellow students at Russell County High School.

Taylor said the boy told investigators that he's a white supremacist and five of the six students he named in his journal are black. The journal was found by a teacher, who turned it over to authorities.

A search of Shrout's home found several small tobacco cans and two large cans, all with holes drilled in them and containing pellets, according to authorities. Taylor said all they needed were black powder and fuses to become explosives. The journal also allegedly mentioned using firearms. The sheriff said Shrout's father owned a few household weapons, such as a hunting rifle, a shotgun and a handgun.

"He just talks about some students, he specifically named six students and one faculty member and he talked about weapons and the amounts of ammunition for each weapon that he would use if he attacked the school," Taylor said.

The sheriff said he didn't believe the teen's initial claim that the journal was a work of fiction.

"When you go to his house and you start finding the actual devices that he talked about being made, no, it's not fiction anymore," Taylor said. "Those devices were – all they needed was the black powder and the fuse – he had put a lot of time and thought into that."

The teen, who is thin and wears glasses, said little during an initial court appearance Monday. District Judge David Johnson set bond at $75,000 and the teen's family posted bond Monday night and he was released.

The judge ordered the teen not to contact anyone at his school, students or teachers, and not to use the Internet without parental supervision. He also must wear an ankle monitoring device.

His attorney, Jeremy Armstrong, declined to discuss specifics of the case, but he did say that the talk of the case he has heard so far was "blown a little out of proportion."

"Our position is that our client had no intention to harm anybody," he said.

Some of Shrout's classmates confirmed his interest in white supremacy.

David Kelly, the senior class president, told WTVM-TV that he was Shrout's battalion commander in JROTC.

"At first through JROTC, he was confident, well-rounded, but as time went by, he was doing the whole *********** thing," Kelly told the station.

Another JROTC classmate, David White, said Shrout's involvement grew deeper in his short time at the school.

"I saw that he was taking it more serious than anything, he started getting real deep into it, and he had a little group of people doing it with him. So, I thought it was getting to where I shouldn't be around it, so I started not even hanging out with him for a long time," White said.

#13 ·
The way I see it the moral argument should be the main issue. Cain killed Able and not once was the club mentioned in the lesson of biblical text. It was the evil in man's heart. That is the main takeaway. Weather the guy was crazy or not, evil was in him.

What is religion? Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc...? All of them are phylosophical teachings guiding the good in a man's life. All practiced differently, all taught differently, but they all preach to the good in one's life. (Not talking about when they are molded to promote evil F*ck you Bin Laden).

I have been expose to violence in the media, games, and in fighting wars in two different countries, so other than the fear of laws what prevents me from using what I know to do bad things? MORALS!!! My belief is I have somewhere to go after this thing called life and I'll tell you that drives my actions far more than any laws created by a temporary politician. Morals are no longer being taught the way they once were is because the teaching of such usually runs parallel with religious teachings. Athiests make sure those things don't run together so much so that fear of man's laws causes one to avoid teaching morals all together.

Blaming an inanimate object for the evil of man is a cop out by many politicians in order to avoid admitting they have not been able to create a utopia. They target guns the same way they target the constitution. Because metal or paper has no way to fight back without the efforts of a human weilding such as a tool with which to fight. How one chooses to wield that weapon is the issue. Will it be for good or evil? Will it be to harm or help?

Laws are written by men. Rights are given at birth. This is what the framers of our nation believed and what being an American means. A politician is an employee and that is all. They are not masters, they are not bosses and they are not all-knowing. They make the mistakes we all make sometimes more. This boy in Connecticut did not wake up one morning and just decide to do such an evil deed. There was thought put into it. It was his lack of truth and morals that caused him to shoot kids, innocent teachers and his mother. He thought about it and carried it out without fear of making the right or wrong moral decision. Politicians are the same. Some of their policies have caused the death of fellow Americans or other people of the world. They didnt wake up and decided, "Hey We should just sit here and watch 4 Americans get killed in Libya." They thought of their appearances, their careers, their futures and legacy. It wasn't the drone that forced them to watch as our peple were killed by terrorists. It was the lack of truth and morals.

They don't know everything nor should they pretend to. To think ridding the US of big scary magazines, or scary looking guns, or lawful gun ownership as a whole is ill-advised and a very sad and poor effort for many politicians to cover up their inabilities to control all.

One last thing to say though to all those who say an assault weapons ban will prevent thing like Sandy Hook from happening again. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Legislation is temporary and Eductaion lasts. What is true now was true 100 years ago. It takes more than laws to turn an evil man good, but the scope of those same laws can make a good man look evil.

Semper Fi

#14 ·
From the article:
:A search of Shrout's home found several small tobacco cans and two large cans, all with holes drilled in them and containing pellets, according to authorities. Taylor said all they needed were black powder and fuses to become explosives. The journal also allegedly mentioned using firearms. The sheriff said Shrout's father owned a few household weapons, such as a hunting rifle, a shotgun and a handgun:"

So the kid is a few fries short of a happy meal, I get that. But is a can of "pellets" illegal? By the same logic a can of black powder only needs a fuse to become a bomb, and I just need a sex change and a smoking hot body to become a victoria secret model.

#15 ·
exactly-- the media--who is in bed with the far-and i mean FAR left , wants to create an excuse for MORE government control.

the assault that is coming against the constitution and against so called "assault weapons" and hi-cap mags is really just a test of how far the government can go and how much will the "sheep" tolerate?

first hi cap mags banned, then registration, then ammo regulation-, then semis banned all together, then some incident with a pump-action or revolver comes along and their banned as well.

we will end up with a muzzle loader with no powder or caps cause they could be used in a bomb--we will still have the 2nd in name only.

the assault on the 2nd is really an assault on "freedom of speech"- the left wants a "politically correct" world and they will run over your rights and freedoms to get there.

the constitution of the USA is just a piece of paper to them, and right now it is in THEIR way.

in all reality how many rights do we have left?

damn sure not many and the government is working like hell to abolish the last we have.

if we let this current crop of elitist left leaning politicians alter the constitution in any way , we just as well kiss any ideas of liberty or freedom goodby.

we will ALL be serfs in the nanny state and is the goal of the left and their going to buy,lie, cheat and steal till they get their way.

the big fear i have is that corrupt republicans can and will be bought off. some have jumped ship all ready.

#16 ·
Thanks for putting up the video Paul, it might make some think more clearly sense you have a following on u-boob and you showed the responsible side of our sport.

Don't take offense Paul, but,, it might be time to either edit your past videos removing the bump fire segments and refrain from posting them in the future. In a small way you may be contributing to the bad publicity were all facing by posting these segments,, "Hitchcock" too for that matter. I enjoy you guys video's but,,I know I've cringed a couple times, thinking negitive thoughts when I saw you both do that in your video's,, not really what we need right now guys and not how most of us shoot most of the time,,, well maybe occasionally,, but don't publicize it please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.