Thread: Who Needs Them?

Feedback Score

Default Who Needs Them?

So my recent return to the United States from the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia I had to think about some conversations I had while I was there.

A friend of my wife (from Stockton) was talking about the benefits of gun control. When I told her all the facts she said that while she supports the 2nd Amendment she doesn't see the reason for American citizens to own assault weapons. So fearing she mispoke I had to correct her vernacular.

My comment "I think you mean Assault Rifle not Assault Weapon. An Assault Rifle is a military weapon issued to the military which has the ability to be fired in select fire mode: Semi-Automatic, Burst, and/or Full-Auto. Assault Weapon is a made-up phrase used by politicians and the media to make Semi-Auto weapons seem more scary than they really are. If I take a bat and use it as a weapon to assault you with it, it just became an Assault Weapon."

After getting that out of the way I explained why I need normal capacity (not high capacity the politicians made that shit up too) is simply becasue the police and military have them. Simple as that. Screw trying to justify it any other way. If our country is invaded will the invaders have 10 round magazines or something more effective? We already kow what the government has if they turn on us and politicians should know too they are guarded with them all day everyday.

This debate on what we need or don't need is played out. Our politicians who we pay handsomely and hire to uphold our rights, do not get to make those decisions for us, nor were they ever meant to. What I need from my government is to stay out of my way and make sure the lights come on when I flick a switch or Water to come on when I turn a nozzle (since they already inserted themselves into that racket) and nothing more. The last thing I need is for them to tell me what I am allowed to purchase for my or my family's safety.

Laws are designed to maintain order, not tell me what I can own or what kind of wood I'm allowed to make a f*ckin cabinet out of. It's something our Founding Fathers understood. "If we stay out of the peoples' homes, they will stay out of ours."

So our constitution may be old, but so is corruption, and tyranny. If those are still around and they f*ckin suck then why can't something good stay around a little longer?

Also a little off topic does anybody see it funny that when we revolted against the Brits it was mainly due to the Tea Tax seeing as the Stamp Tax was never enforced? The tea tax was 3 pence per pound of tea. 1 pound sterling at the time was about $150 with a shilling being 1/20 of a pound or 12 pence which is around $7.50. So the 3 pence was worth about $1.90 today. During the 1770s the average laborer made 5 shillings a day (roughly $40 per day). So the tea tax was 4.8% of the average daily income and that's if they bought tea by the pound once a day...

Just a question... What's our income/sales/gains tax right now? makes you scratch your head a bit...

Semper Fi
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score

I don't think the revolution was mainly because of a tea tax. The shooting started when they came to disarm the colonists.
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Ken3030 View Post
    I don't think the revolution was mainly because of a tea tax. The shooting started when they came to disarm the colonists.
    True many things led to it I was just referring to the Revolutionary motto of "Taxation without representation" Sorry just to clarify.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

a anti-gun nut said to me

" ain't you afraid those weapons will fall into the wrong hands?"

i told him "i am far more afraid of the weapons being removed from the right hands."

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Abukai,

That was one of the best posts I have seen in a long time. Direct, lucid, and right on target. I am going to memorized the Assault Rifle vs. Assault Weapon points, because I have never seen a better description.

I watch CNN the other night, Piers Morgan helps keep my blood pressure up in my old age. He was interviewing the Broadcast personality from Texas. I don't remember the guys name. Everything was going well, and Texas guy was really pummeling Mr. Morgan into a corner and exposing the talking points as half-truths or lies. I was really impressed.....

Then Piers asked Texas guy if he really thought the Gov. blew up World Trade #7. Everything that Texas guy said before that was great. Everything after that question made Texas guy look like the village idiot.

The moral of the story is: Stay on subject. Do not get teased into making a fool of yourself. End the conversation when you are winning. Leave them feeling like an uninformed fool. And for Gods Sake, DO NOT talk about conspiracy theories. It just allows the other guy to write you off as a crackpot.

Regards,
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    a anti-gun nut said to me

" ain't you afraid those weapons will fall into the wrong hands?"

i told him "i am far more afraid of the weapons being removed from the right hands."

Well said 427.

Abukai, definitely well said!!
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Abukai,
    Well said, and from your signature I see your a fellow Brother!
    Semper Fi...Doc

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.