Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Letter to the Hill

Feedback Score

2nd... It doen't surprise me. I mean could you imagine what would happen to this country if our legislatures had to read evreything put in front of them??? I mean they may actually get something right or have a higher approval rating than 13%...
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score

Response from Senator Bill Nelson

Dear Mr. C:

Thank you for contacting me about policy proposals that seek to reduce gun violence in the wake of the tragedy in Newtown.

I am a hunter and have always owned guns, and I support the Second Amendment.

But assault weapons such as AK 47s are intended for killing, not hunting.

Solutions for reducing gun violence must address many areas, from protecting law enforcement and keeping weapons out of the hands of criminals, to school safety, access to mental health services, and confronting a culture that sometimes glorifies violence.

I support reinstating the assault weapons ban and restoring the 10-round limit for ammunition magazines. And, I support universal background checks so that we can know if person buying a weapon has a criminal record.

I appreciate hearing your views on this very important issue, and I will keep them in mind. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.

Sincerely,
    Bill Nelson
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score

My response to Senator Bill Nelson

Senator Bill Nelson,
    I was very troubled to see your response to my previous letter regarding gun control.
    I understand you and many of your colleagues believe you can control the will of evil men by placing a ban on certain types of weapons or standard capacity magazines, but we have already done an Assault Weapon ban and seen it does not work.
    In you r letter you stated, “I am a hunter and have always owned guns, and I support the Second Amendment. But assault weapons such as AK 47s are intended for killing, not hunting.” As stated in my previous letter statements such as the latter show a lack of understanding regarding the Second Amendment. You must understand, the Second Amendment was created in order to allow us to protect ourselves and our families from evil or tyrannical people. As you know the First, Second, Fourth, and Tenth Amendments are the only in the Bill of Rights which mention the rights of the “People”. And out of those four amendments, only one contains the phrase, “Shall not be infringed.” That is also the only place such a phrase is stated in the entire Constitution.
    Where does this misinterpretation end in your opinion sir? Will it end after an Assault Weapon Ban is defeated in the House of Representatives? Will it end only if a standard capacity magazine ban is passed? Will it end when your colleagues shift their focus to your hunting rifles? At what point do you identify infringement for what it is?
    Sir, you must understand attempting or supporting the establishment of an Assault Weapons ban or ban on standard capacity magazines is infringement of a human right.
    As such I must inform you that you have lost me as a constituent and I will pass on your message to the many friends, family, and acquaintances who share my passion for exercising our human rights. As stated above, we have tried an Assault Weapon Ban before and it didn’t work. Sir, we are done compromising our rights due to the actions of criminals.
    My rights are given to me by a higher authority and identified in writing by the framers of our nation in a document you swore to uphold and defend. My rights are meant to be lasting that my children and my children’s children may enjoy them unimpeded by the actions of criminals or the desire of a temporary politician.
    Thank you for your time and urge you to change your stance on the Second Amendment.

Sincerely,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.