Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Letter to the Hill

Feedback Score

Default Letter to the Hill

So I just wrote this up and sent it to my congrassman and senators. I went directly to their pages becasue I felt it would be better to write a more personal letter than a generic one although I have sent those too. Let me know what you think.

Senator,
    I am a concerned citizen. Recent events have led to the issue of gun control on the national level.
    I have served this nation in both Iraq and Afghanistan and fought for my country's liberties in an attempt to impart said liberties on people who have spent the majority of their lives under tyranny. I am proud to call myself an American and believe the Constitution I swore allegiance to was established to guarantee our liberties and basic inalienable human rights.
    I was very saddened to hear about the tragic events which transpired December 14th, 2012, at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I was also saddened to hear several of our country’s representatives used this tragedy to begin a campaign to rob law abiding citizens of their rights.
    As you know, living in a free country comes with inherent risks. With freedom comes responsibility. The immoral acts of a very small minority of Americans should not have an effect on the freedoms of the vast majority of Americans. Using this tragedy as grounds to strip law-abiding Americans of their human rights is sickening and shows lack of character and leadership. The display of insensitivity by those who would use such a tragedy to advance an agenda leaves Americans wondering how our rights, given to us by a higher authority and put in writing by the framers of this nation, play a role the moral decision making we entrust our elected representatives to carry out.
    Stripping the human right to self defense is counter to what this nation was established to be and counter to what me and my brothers and sisters-in-arms strived to promote abroad.
    As a law-abiding American I see this as a shameful response to the tragic loss of life not only in Sandy Hook Elementary School, but the tragic loss of life of anybody at the hands of truly evil men.
    Our 2nd Amendment was established to keep tyranny in our own borders at bay. The common misconception of our right to bear arms as only existing to protect hunters shows a complete lack of understanding by fellow Americans who’s oath of office was not much different than my own.
    Please do not support those who have forgotten the oath they took to defend and uphold the Constitution of the United States of America. Please represent me in the face of your colleagues who do not feel bound by the limitations set forth by the Bill of Rights and would strip my rights and the rights of my fellow Americans by the implementation of any Assault Weapon Ban or ban on standard capacity magazines.

Sincerely,
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score

Well written! Mind if I use it? I cant compose anything that comes close to that.
    Ken
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Yep ,very well said.
    If I had served ,I would also ask if I could borrow your well put letter.
    Thanks for what you do & for standing up to tyranny!

Brad
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

Use it and change where you see fit. As long as our representatives hear our voices. Voting with your wallet is not enough. Remind these men and women who they work for as they seem to forget often.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Well put, and thank you for serving, man!

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Semper Fi Abukai !!!!!!!!!!!!! You nailed it brother.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Verry well said.

Feedback Score

Default Resonse

Here is the first response.

Dear Mr. C,

Thank you for writing to me regarding the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. I share your concern for the victims of this tragedy.

My heart breaks for the victims and families impacted by this senseless act of violence. In a world that can at times be defined by its darkness, children are a reminder of what is good, cheerful and beautiful about life. An act of violence against these defenseless young people, as well as the faculty and staff who dedicate themselves daily to educating and caring for them, is a deed of unconscionable evil. I pray that God holds Newtown close as the community continues to heal from this tragedy.

In the aftermath of this unspeakable tragedy, like millions of Americans, I am looking for public policy changes that might prevent such a horrible event from happening again. I continue to be a strong supporter of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution which guarantees citizens the right to safely and responsibly bear arms. At the same time, I have always been open to measures that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill. In light of this horrible tragedy, I am open to new ideas to prevent mass tragedies like this from happening again.

It is an honor and a privilege to serve as your United States Senator. I appreciate your concern regarding this situation. If I can ever be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Marco Rubio
    United States Senator

Feedback Score

Well placed set of Words .... Sorry, I used the copy n paste method and sent it to my States Officials ...

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Abukai, that is almost a word for word copy of the reply that I received from S.C. Senator Lindsey Graham. Standard double speak. Didn't take a stance one way or the other. I want to hear my reps say "Hell no, we will not allow ANY form of gun control against law abiding citizens!!!!" and mean it.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.