Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: M1A - M14 Mags!

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default M1A - M14 Mags!

So, this is just a sad sob story. It is me being sad and sobbing!

In 1999, before the big bad bans took place in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, I bought a total of 16 "M14 Magazines". These are 20 round mags, I got them, I put them away, I never touched them.

I had one 10 Round Mag, and one 20 Round mag, and these are all I ever used when I took the rifle to the range.

I finally decided to take these mags out to the range. I first tested each one with 5 dummies on the bench and made adjustments as needed. 13 of the 16 functioned with 10 rounds at the range. BUT, when loaded with 15 or more rounds, they all failed. Mostly, they spit rounds (unfired) out during each cycle. They also tended to swell to the point where it was difficult to seat the mag into the rifle.

I took some apart after returning from the range, and the bottom retaining plates could be bend into a banana shape and not return to normal, indicating that these are not tempered or heat-treated.

End result, these mags as they are can not be trusted or relied upon.

My question is this: Can I reasonably heat treat the mag bodies, or should I just resign myself to buying replacement parts. Since I live in Kalifornia, this would be my ONLY recourse under the law.

I welcome your thoughts and input.

BTW: Does anyone out there have any mag bodies that they might be willing to part with? Springs I can get. Followers I can get, Floorplates I can get. Bodies is what I need.

Anyone????

Regards,
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thats sucks... I haven't seen replacement mag bodies, but I haven't been looking either. I'll keep any eye out for them as well. I also got caught during the first AWB with only a few M1A mags. I tried a couple of the norinco and thought they'd be crap, but they were almost as good as USGI mags. I couldn't get any more though and eventually bought a bunch of the ones CTD was selling as G.I issue (didn't say who's army though) . IDK if they're the same ones you have, but they seem soft and do flex when loaded so I believe I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't shot a DCM match in a while to test them out though and have mostly been using it with a 5rnd mag for deer hunting. It works great in that role.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

There's some real junk out there. Same with the Mini-14 mags.

If they aren't working, you'd lose nothing to try an experimental heat treat.

How is the law written?
    If you can legally obtain all the parts and assemble them, it sounds like I could legally send you dis-assembled GI mags and you could assemble them at home and every one would be happy.
    Is my thinking correct?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

When I ordered a bunch of 1911 mags made by Checkmate,I saw that they were produceing M14 mags also.Just sayin...
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

jrs
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by tanvil View Post
    There's some real junk out there. Same with the Mini-14 mags.

If they aren't working, you'd lose nothing to try an experimental heat treat.

How is the law written?
    If you can legally obtain all the parts and assemble them, it sounds like I could legally send you dis-assembled GI mags and you could assemble them at home and every one would be happy.
    Is my thinking correct?
    You are 100% correct, Tanvil. I know Bellson would be appreciative.
    jrs
    --
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.", Will Durant

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.", Edmund Burke

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Do the mag parts need to be shipped in separate boxes?

I'l do some digging. I sold mine awhile back, but I still have some mags, a TIN coated Sadlak piston from Brownells and maybe even a spare fiberglass upper handguard..

One was a Match and the other was a Scout with a forward mounted Aimpoint on it.

jrs
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by tanvil View Post
    Do the mag parts need to be shipped in separate boxes?
    No, they can be in the same box. What we have done before is have them disassembled, put into a sealed bag, then boxed for shipment. As long as the bag is sealed you don't have to ship in separate boxes.
    jrs
    --
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.", Will Durant

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.", Edmund Burke

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

That is utterly ridiculous. My fear is that it's headed to my state too. Right now 30's are not transferable within the state but 20s are ok.

Anyway, here's what I found. When the battery recharges I'll send you a pic but in the meantime;

In real good condition; 1 KMT, 1 AW, 2 Promags

Rusted and used but serviceable; 1 UHC

In questionable condition, 1 BRW looks ok except for the drillbit marks from when my beloved brother thought he was going to open the side up to lock into his AR-10. It took him a few tries to figure out that the body is hardened.. He never got all the way through but it sure ain't pretty.

Upper handguard with retainer (used) and the new piston.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Pics

Here's the pic. Take what you want, leave what you don't.

A 'pre-gouge' offer will put them at your door.

The white paper denotes the manufacturer but I doubt it will show up in the picture.

The one with the blue tape is the drilled one. I tried to get the light to relect on the dimples.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M1A - M14 Mags!-m1a-assrted.jpg  

M1A - M14 Mags!-m1a-stuff.jpg  

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    Thats sucks... I haven't seen replacement mag bodies, but I haven't been looking either. I'll keep any eye out for them as well. I also got caught during the first AWB with only a few M1A mags. I tried a couple of the norinco and thought they'd be crap, but they were almost as good as USGI mags. I couldn't get any more though and eventually bought a bunch of the ones CTD was selling as G.I issue (didn't say who's army though) . IDK if they're the same ones you have, but they seem soft and do flex when loaded so I believe I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't shot a DCM match in a while to test them out though and have mostly been using it with a 5rnd mag for deer hunting. It works great in that role.
    Pull the floorplate and see if it's springy, or bendy. Mine are bendy. The "Good" ones that I have (1 -10 rd and 1-20rd) are springy.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.