Thread: The "Need" for Civil Rights

Feedback Score

Default The "Need" for Civil Rights

So with yesterday being MLK Day I had it off. I was talking to my dad about MLK and all the things that took place in the fight for equality. He was alive during all of it and (dating myself) I was not. So he was a great source of information regarding the topic.

So in thinking about all of this and how we shower people like MLK, and Rosa Parks with adoration for standing up against society norms and prejudices.

Why did MLK "Need" to organize a million man march? Why did he "Need" to give speeches and sermons pressing for equality? Why did Rosa Parks "Need" to stay in her seat as opposed to giving it to a white man? Why did they "Need" to do anything?

Truth is they didn't. They didn't "Need" to fight for civil rights... They wanted to. But nobody sees it that way nowadays. Nobody thinks the Civil Rights movement wasn't "Needed". Nobody questions why they felt they "Needed" to do anything to challenge the oppression of people of different color as the answer is pretty obvious and self explanatory.

So after a wave of pride of being American swept over me (this happens often) I thought of how grand it was to live in a nation where one doesn't have to rationalize their desire to exercise their human rights as a "Need" in order for the government to recognize and respect it and society to do the same.

Then my thought was interupted by a man on the T.V. asking, "Why does a normal citizen need 30 round magazines or an assault type weapon?"

A smirk came over my face because of how soon people forget and tend to choose which rights are considered a "Need". The same people who would tote how someone who stood up for his rights 50 years ago is a great man, but would look at others standing up for their rights now as crazy right wing extremists... Makes you think...
    Last edited by Abukai08; 01-22-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score

Good Post.

Feedback Score

As radio talk show host and writer Mark Levin says "It's a Bill of Rights, not a Bill of Needs!"

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

The interesting thing about God-given rights;

They are never really given by mans' civil government.

You must TAKE them if you expect to have them.

Once obtained, the eternal price of liberty is vigilance. In other words, you have to fight to get them and fight to keep them.

Feedback Score

You know, MLK kept loaded guns all over his home. He also applied for a pistol permit, but was denied.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Well if Jessie and Martin and crew hand guns, they could have shot back.
    Would have been a hell of a firefight.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.