Gunco Forums banner

Assault rifles at Calif. school get mixed reviews

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  tanvil 
#1 ·
FONTANA, Calif. — The semi-automatic rifles look like they belong in a war zone instead of a suburban public school, but officials in this Los Angeles-area city say the high-powered weapons now in the hands of school police could prevent a massacre.

Fontana Unified School District police purchased 14 of the Colt LE6940 rifles last fall, and they were delivered the first week of December — a week before the Connecticut school shooting. Over the holiday break, the district's 14 school police officers received 40 hours of training on the rifles. Officers check them out for each shift from a fireproof safe in the police force's main office.

Fontana isn't the first district to try this. Other Southern California districts also have rifle programs — some that have been in operation for several years. Fontana school police Chief Billy Green said he used money from fingerprinting fees to purchase the guns for $14,000 after identifying a "critical vulnerability" in his force's ability to protect students. The officers, who already wear sidearms, wouldn't be able to stop a shooter like the one in Connecticut, he said Wednesday.

Read the rest of the article here:

Assault rifles at Calif. school get mixed reviews

See less See more
#2 ·
damn what slow learners--

out here in the sticks they have been carrying ar-15s for decades and you can't say these guys are funded with a silver spoon like the metro types.

they all ways have either an ar-15 or a shotgun. the sidearm is more "what they wear"--

#4 ·
The old man was a Cop in Orange County (just south of L.A.) and they had AR's a long time ago. They were personally owned. I'm glad at least someone is learning from all this.

#6 ·
I find it funny that if you read the article the police are getting Semi-automatic High power Rifles. But everywhere else when everyone else gets the same type of rifles they are assault rifles.
That's just because the ones the police get are the ones that have the "hop -up-and-shoot-people-at-random-feature" removed during manufacturing which classifies them as something else.

#7 ·
The officers, who already wear sidearms, wouldn't be able to stop a shooter like the one in Connecticut, he said Wednesday.

AHHHHHHH WHY THER FU$% NOT??????????? ID THINK ANY PROFESIONALY TRAINED PERSON WITH A SIDE ARM COULD HAVE STOPED THE CONNECTICUT SHOOTER AS WELL AS THE PRINCIPAL AN THE OTHERS WHO TIRED ALTHOUGH UNARMED. THIS IS THE MOST ASSANIE STAMENT. HAVING A AR DOSENT MAKE YOU BULLET PROOF ON WELL PLACED SHOT WOULD HAVE STOPPED HELL A POORLY PLACED SHOT WPOULD HAVE STOPED HIM A TASER WOULD HAVE STOPOED HIM A BAT WOULD HAVE STOPED HIM . A WELL LOCKED SECURE DOOR WOULD HAVE STOPPED HIM.

I ALSO KNOW FOR A FACT THAT SOME HAVE MADISON WI POLICE HAVE FULL AUTO WEAPONS ASSINED TO THEM . THEY TAKE THEM HOME WITH THEM AT NIGHT THEY CARRY THEM IN THERE OWN VEHICLES . I HAVE SEEN THEM UP CLOSE . ONE IS A HK UMP IN 45AUTO. THESE ARE NOT SWAT JUST BASIC LEO.S IN A PATROL CAR. I KNOW THIS FOR FACT. NOT ALL OF THEM BUT A FEW HAVE THEM .

#9 ·
Hunter, that is one of the most brilliant things I have read all day. Show me a deer hunter with his bolt gun who could not have taken that piece of dirt out at 250 Yards! If you can, I'll show you a guy who does not eat Venison!...

This freakshow has got to stop!

#10 ·
My problem is not with the evil black rifles being in the hands of police.

My problem is the idea of our children being locked down in public schools with police 'guards'.

In the political environment that exists in America today,
this is nothing more than 'prisoner conditioning'.

All one would have to do is a little research to discover that successful police state conditioning starts with the young minds and ferments into a controlled dictatorship soon after.

A handful of armed teachers, (read American citizens here) is all that is needed, not a full scale police take-over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.