Gunco Forums banner

Gun Owners Refuse to Register Under New York Law

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  tanvil 
#1 ·
Gun Owners Refuse to Register Under New York Law

After Democrats in New York rammed a sweeping assault on the right to keep and bear arms through the legislature that failed to exempt police officers from the draconian restrictions, gun owners and even some lawmakers are planning what has been dubbed potentially the largest act of civil disobedience in state history. According to news reports, gun rights activists are urging everyone to defy far-left Governor Andrew Cuomo’s new registration mandate while daring authorities to “come and take it.”

Analysts say the legislation, passed in a frenzy last week in the wake of the Newtown shooting, represents the most brazen infringement on the right to keep and bear arms anywhere in the nation. Among other points, the so-called SAFE Act seeks to limit magazines to just seven bullets, require virtually all of the estimated one million semi-automatic rifles in the state to be registered with authorities, mandate reporting of patients who express indications that they may have thoughts about hurting themselves or others by doctors, and more.

Aside from being unconstitutional, experts on gun violence also point out that the draconian schemes are a bad idea: Studies have repeatedly shown that more guns lead to less crime, and the phenomenon is obvious across America — just compare Chicago or D.C. to Alaska or Wyoming. The mandated reporting requirements for doctors, meanwhile, have come under fire from across the political spectrum. Whether it will even be possible to enforce the bill, however, remains to be seen.

Preparations are already being made for mass resistance. “I’ve heard from hundreds of people that they’re prepared to defy the law, and that number will be magnified by the thousands, by the tens of thousands, when the registration deadline comes,’’ said President Brian Olesen with American Shooters Supply, among the biggest gun dealers in the state, in an interview with the New York Post.

Even government officials admit that forcing New Yorkers to register their guns will be a tough sell, and they are apparently aware that massive non-compliance will be the order of the day. “Many of these assault-rifle owners aren’t going to register; we realize that,’’ a source in the Cuomo administration told the Post, adding that officials expect “widespread violations” of the new statute.

Threats of imprisoning gun owners for up to a year and confiscating their weapons are already being issued by governor’s office, headed by a rabid anti-Second Amendment extremist who suggested before the bill passed that “confiscation” of all semi-automatic rifles was being considered. If tens or even hundreds of thousands of otherwise law-abiding citizens refuse to comply, however, analysts say New York would either have to start raising taxes and building a lot more prisons, or give up on the scheme that experts say will do nothing to reduce violence and that lawmakers say is aimed at eventual confiscation.

Activists involved in the state-wide boycott against the unconstitutional statute who spoke to the Post almost taunted authorities, saying gun owners would essentially dare authorities to “come and take it away.” According to the paper, leaders of some of the state’s hundreds of gun clubs, dealers, and non-profit organizations, citing the New York Constitution’s guarantee that gun rights “cannot be infringed,” are currently involved in organizing the resistance. Among the primary concerns is that, with registration, authorities would know where to go for confiscation, an idea already proposed openly by Governor Cuomo himself.

“They’re saying, ‘F--- the governor! F--- Cuomo! We’re not going to register our guns,’ and I think they’re serious. People are not going to do it. People are going to resist,” explained State Rifle and Pistol Association President Tom King, who also serves on the National Rifle Association board of directors. “They’re taking one of our guaranteed civil rights, and they’re taking it away.”

The NRA itself, while saying that it did not participate in organizing resistance to the law, admitted that it was not surprised by the open defiance among gun owners. “I will say this: Historic experience here and in Canada shows that when you try to force gun owners into a registration and licensing system, there’s usually mass opposition and mass noncompliance,” NRA President David Keene told the Post. “I think it’s going to be very difficult for the governor to get mass compliance with this new law.”

Throughout the short discussion on the bill, GOP legislators warned about the prospect of resistance — potentially resulting in violence. Indeed, even some lawmakers have already promised to defy the new unconstitutional statute. Republican state Assemblyman Steve Katz, for example, told his colleagues during the debate that the legislation’s attempt to re-define semi-automatic rifles as banned “assault weapons” creates “a new class of criminals overnight.” However, he also mentioned that he had no intention of complying with the arbitrary seven-bullet maximum demanded under the legislation.

“I leave my wife and three young daughters home alone for days at a time to represent my constituents here,” Katz said on the floor of the Assembly. “After what happened to the young mother in Loganville, Georgia who defended her two young children against an intruder, this bill will turn me into a criminal because you can bet that before I leave to do the people’s work, there will be more than seven bullets in the magazine of my wife’s firearm.”

He concluded his plea for respecting gun rights with some quotes about the reason for the Second Amendment and New York state’s even more overt prohibition on infringements. The first one he read came from George Washington: “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”

As in the rest of the United States, law enforcement has also been speaking out about infringements on the right to keep and bear arms — especially after the SAFE Act was rammed through so hastily that, according to analysts, "oops," police officers are now in violation of the law too. New York sheriffs have become outspoken about the rights of citizens, as well, expressing serious concerns about violations of unalienable rights contained in the new state statute.

"This law has some issues pertaining to the Second Amendment," explained Putnam County Sheriff Donald Smith, one of many to express reservations about the new rules. "I'm deeply concerned in haste to pass the law, they may have missed the point on some of the mental health issues and are dealing with some ammunition and gun issues and law-enforcement issues."

Steuben County Sheriff David Cole, meanwhile, released a statement backed by the local police union criticizing the highly controversial statute as well. "These laws will now make it so thousands and thousands of law-abiding citizens, who go to work, pay their taxes, and [are] concerned about their children's future, will now be considered criminals if they choose to stand up for the Second Amendment rights guaranteed under the U.S. Constitution," Sheriff Cole noted, echoing widespread concerns being heard throughout the state.

Ironically, even some anti-gun extremists who openly support lawlessly infringing on unalienable rights have criticized the legislation. The ultra-far-left Center for American Progress, funded by billionaire statist George Soros, for example, complained about the provisions purporting to obligate doctors to report their patients to authorities if they express violent or suicidal thoughts — all in violation of the traditional doctor-patient confidentiality relationship.

Doctors belittled the provision, too, noting that it could discourage people who otherwise would seek help from talking to healthcare providers out of fear that the police could show up at their door and confiscate their weapons. "The people who arguably most need to be in treatment and most need to feel free to talk about these disturbing impulses, may be the ones we make least likely to do so," Dr. Paul Appelbaum at Columbia University told the Associated Press. Critics say the provision will turn New York into a "psychiatric police state."

Meanwhile, at the national level, some Democrat lawmakers and President Obama are seeking draconian new gun bans and a wide array of other infringements on the right to keep and bear arms. State governments and sheriffs nationwide, however, are speaking out, working to nullify any assault on gun rights, and if needed, arrest federal officials trying to enforce unconstitutional rules. With the amount of resistance already expressing itself in New York, analysts say attempting similar schemes at the federal level would be literally insane. Still, that does not mean it will not be attempted.

Alex Newman is a correspondent for The New American, covering economics, politics, and more. He can be reached at anewman@thenewamerican.com.

Related articles:

States Aim to Nullify Obama Gun Control

Sheriffs Target Obama Gun Control, Vow to Resist

Mom Hailed as Hero After Shooting Intruder Five Times

Missouri State Rep Introduces 2nd Amendment Protection Bill

Wyoming Bill Would Nullify Obama Gun Control, Jail Feds

Kentucky Sheriff Vows to Protect Residents from Obama Gun Control

Rand Paul's Bill to Nullify “King” Obama's Gun Control Executive Orders

Resistance to the President’s Gun Control Plan Continues to Build

Obama Unveils Assault on Gun Rights

As Obama’s Anti-gun Agenda Emerges, Republican Threatens Impeachment

Obama Executive Orders on Guns Would Spark Mass Resistance

Police Chief Seeks Nullification of Unconstitutional Gun Control

Obama Task Force Plotting Extreme Assault on Gun Rights

Obama Administration Intends to Increase Limits on Gun Ownership

Critics Slam Sen. Feinstein’s “Assault Weapons” Ban, Gun Registry

Gun-free Zones Called "Magnets for Mass Shooters"

Media “Talking to Itself” on Gun Control

Gun Sales, NRA Memberships Boost After Conn. School Shooting

State vs. Federal: The Nullification Movement
More in this category: « Legal Experts Call Nullification Unconstitutional and Seditious Utah City Councilman Joins Fight to Defends State Sovereignty »

See less See more
#3 ·
the proplem is there will be no mass stand off it will be one guy at a time standing up when he is caught with a unregistered gun.

what is needed is a situation were the government is forced to try to take them all at once .

all NY has to do is wait until the dead line an then go after each owner on there own schedule . obviously any rifle that was previously trnafered in under colt , dpms, rock river, etc will likely be a AR the state likely knows were 90 of them are now, same with any of the other assult style weapons .

unless owners band up an take it to the capitol ahead of the ban an make it clear they will not obey its all talk IMO .

there is no way thye will really be able to shoot there guns for recreation any moore as they will likely/ eventualy get caught . any time a home is searched for what ever BS reason they will be found, you don't dare transport them because if you get stoped for any reason they will be found.

owners can protest in mass now as non criminals or wait until the dead line passed an then protest in mass armed as criminals an challenge the state to come take them.

the best bet is to try to get a court case to rule if this is legal. awhile back California passed laws on internes ammo sales an It was overturned . The NRA NEED TO TRY TO DO SOMEHTING IN COURT OR AT LEAST ORGANISE A PROTEST. PERSONALY OM GETTING A LITTLE SICK OF THERE NO PROTEST WRITE YOUR REP WELL DO THE REST IN COURT STYLE. THERE NEEDS TO BE FACES PUT TO THE PEOLE WHO PROTEST.

SPEACKING OF THE NRA I RENEWED RECENTLY I HAVE GOTTEN 6 MAILINGS ASKING FOR MORE ABOUT 20 EMAILS AN HAQVE YET TO RECIVER MY CARD OR MEMBER SHIP INFO. IF THEY PUT HALF THE EFFORT INTO TELLING MEMEBERS WHAT WRONG INTO TELLING THE PEOPLE WHAT IS WRONG. IF I EVER GET MY NEW ID NUMBER ILL GO ON LINE AN TURN OFF THE MAILING AN EMAIL . SEEMS LIKE GETTING ME MY CARD WOULD BE THE FIRST STEP. I CAN CARE LESS ABOUT THE GIFT CARD AN MAGAZINE BUT AT LEAST LOOSE THE JUNK MAIL UNTILL I GET MY MEAMBER SHIP CRAP.

The NRA itself, while saying that it did not participate in organizing resistance to the law,

AT WHAT POINT WILL THE NRA SAY THIS IS NOT A LEGAL LAW AN TAKE A STAND ????? AT SOME POINT THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE THAN A LEGAL BATTEL IN COURTS. . IN AFRAID THE NRA IS GOING TO LOOSE CONTROL AN THEN INTERNET GROUPS ARE GOING TO TAKE A MORE DRASTIC APPROACH AN THEN THINGS WILL GET VIOLENT . THE NET GROUPS ALREADY HAD A SOME WHAT SUCESSFULL PROTEST WITH ZERO HELP FROM THE NRA!!!!!!!!!!! THE NECT ONE WILL LIKELY BE BETTER AS PEOPLE NOW SEE THYE WILL NOT BE THE ONLY ONES THERE.

AT WHAT POINT IS THE NRA GOING TO SAY WE NEED BODYS WITH SIGNS AN A VOICE TO BE PRESENT ??????????

PERSONALY THERE INVITE TO GOE PHESANT HUNTING FOR A FEW GRAND WITH SOME TRICK SHOOTER DURING ALL THIS IS A SLAP IN THE FACE. THER BLA BLA BLA EMAILS ABOUT HOW THEREGOING TO DO SOMEHTING DONT HELP ANYTHING.

IM SURE THERE BETTER THAN ME AT THIS BUT IM AN OHTRS ARE SEEING TO MUCH FAANCY DINNERS AN SUIT AN TIE TYPE GET TOGETHERS. DID YOU KNOW THE NRA HAS A WINE CLUB???????????????????// IN SEENG TO MUCH HIGH SOCIETY WHEN THEY

#8 ·
the proplem is there will be no mass stand off it will be one guy at a time standing up when he is caught with a unregistered gun.
Yep that's EXACTLY the problem. And if you try to support this or try to organize a "million gun owner march" on the NY capital, you'll be branded an "insurgent" or "lone wolf terrorist" or "home grown terrorist" or whatever that brand is to villify the people they want to be considered "bad".

I suppose it will come time for some people to decide to stand up for their rights instead of lay down and take it. Meaning some good people, if arrested, will probably go to jail for an unconstitutional law.

#4 ·
the proplem is there will be no mass stand off it will be one guy at a time standing up when he is caught with a unregistered gun. THEY WILL SIMPLY TAKE IT AN IF HE RESITS HE WILL BE HARMED. THEY WILL SHOW UP WELL ARMED AN READY FOR YOU THYE WILL TEAR GAS YOU AN YOUR FAIMLY AN TREAT YOU HOME LIKE A DRUG RAID WITH KNOWN ARMED SUSPECTS. UNTILL THERE IS A SHOOT OUT AN PEOPLE START DIEING OVER THE ISSUE NOTHIG IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

what is needed is a situation were the government is forced to try to take them all at once .

all NY has to do is wait until the dead line an then go after each owner on there own schedule . obviously any rifle that was previously trnafered in under colt , dpms, rock river, etc will likely be a AR the state likely knows were 90 of them are now, same with any of the other assult style weapons .

unless owners band up an take it to the capitol ahead of the ban an make it clear they will not obey its all talk IMO .

there is no way thye will really be able to shoot there guns for recreation any moore as they will likely/ eventualy get caught . any time a home is searched for what ever BS reason they will be found, you don't dare transport them because if you get stoped for any reason they will be found.

owners can protest in mass now as non criminals or wait until the dead line passed an then protest in mass armed as criminals an challenge the state to come take them.

the best bet is to try to get a court case to rule if this is legal. awhile back California passed laws on internes ammo sales an It was overturned . The NRA NEED TO TRY TO DO SOMEHTING IN COURT OR AT LEAST ORGANISE A PROTEST. PERSONALY OM GETTING A LITTLE SICK OF THERE NO PROTEST WRITE YOUR REP WELL DO THE REST IN COURT STYLE. THERE NEEDS TO BE FACES PUT TO THE PEOLE WHO PROTEST.

SPEACKING OF THE NRA I RENEWED RECENTLY I HAVE GOTTEN 6 MAILINGS ASKING FOR MORE ABOUT 20 EMAILS AN HAQVE YET TO RECIVER MY CARD OR MEMBER SHIP INFO. IF THEY PUT HALF THE EFFORT INTO TELLING MEMEBERS WHAT WRONG INTO TELLING THE PEOPLE WHAT IS WRONG. IF I EVER GET MY NEW ID NUMBER ILL GO ON LINE AN TURN OFF THE MAILING AN EMAIL . SEEMS LIKE GETTING ME MY CARD WOULD BE THE FIRST STEP. I CAN CARE LESS ABOUT THE GIFT CARD AN MAGAZINE BUT AT LEAST LOOSE THE JUNK MAIL UNTILL I GET MY MEAMBER SHIP CRAP.

The NRA itself, while saying that it did not participate in organizing resistance to the law,

AT WHAT POINT WILL THE NRA SAY THIS IS NOT A LEGAL LAW AN TAKE A STAND ????? AT SOME POINT THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE THAN A LEGAL BATTEL IN COURTS. . IN AFRAID THE NRA IS GOING TO LOOSE CONTROL AN THEN INTERNET GROUPS ARE GOING TO TAKE A MORE DRASTIC APPROACH AN THEN THINGS WILL GET VIOLENT . THE NET GROUPS ALREADY HAD A SOME WHAT SUCESSFULL PROTEST WITH ZERO HELP FROM THE NRA!!!!!!!!!!! THE NECT ONE WILL LIKELY BE BETTER AS PEOPLE NOW SEE THYE WILL NOT BE THE ONLY ONES THERE.

AT WHAT POINT IS THE NRA GOING TO SAY WE NEED BODYS WITH SIGNS AN A VOICE TO BE PRESENT ??????????

PERSONALY THERE INVITE TO GOE PHESANT HUNTING FOR A FEW GRAND WITH SOME TRICK SHOOTER DURING ALL THIS IS A SLAP IN THE FACE. THER BLA BLA BLA EMAILS ABOUT HOW THEREGOING TO DO SOMEHTING DONT HELP ANYTHING.

IM SURE THERE BETTER THAN ME AT THIS BUT IM AN OHTRS ARE SEEING TO MUCH FAANCY DINNERS AN SUIT AN TIE TYPE GET TOGETHERS. DID YOU KNOW THE NRA HAS A WINE CLUB???????????????????// IN SEENG TO MUCH HIGH SOCIETY WHEN THEY MAKE THE NEWS OR A STATMENT .

#6 ·
Doctors belittled the provision, too, noting that it could discourage people who otherwise would seek help from talking to healthcare providers out of fear that the police could show up at their door and confiscate their weapons. "The people who arguably most need to be in treatment and most need to feel free to talk about these disturbing impulses, may be the ones we make least likely to do so,"
I AGREE 100% AN KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE . I KNOW PEOPLE WHO ARE AFRAID TO GO OR HAVE THER E SPOUSES GO TO THE DOCTOR . I KNOW A PERSON WHO IS AFRAID HIS WIFES DEPRESSION WILL TRIGGER AN NOT BEING ABLE TO KEEP HIS GUNS AT HOME I KNOW PEOPLE WHO TAKE ANTI ANEXIETY MEDS WHO ARE SCARED SHITLESS THAT THERE GOING TO LOOSE THRE GUNS. I KNOW A COUPLE WHO WILL NOT GET MARRIAGE COUNSELING FOR FEAR OF IT SHOWING UP AS MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES. I PERSONALY WAS CONCERNED THAT MY FORMER FIANCE KIDS WHO NEEDED COUNSELING FROM THERE PARNENS BAD BREAK UP WOULD CAUSE MY HAVING TO REMOVE MY GUNS .

PEOPLE NEED TO BE ABLE TO GO TO A DOCTOR AN KNOW THAT WHAT THEY SAY IS PRIVATE. WHAT I SEE HERE IS THE GOVEMENT FORCING DOCTORS TO REPORT ANY HTNG THAT MIGHT BE A ISSUE OR LOOSE THERE LISCENCE OR BE SUED IF THEY DONT IF A PATIANT DOES KILL HIMSELF OR OTHERS. IM OK IF A JUDGE AN DOCTORS SAY THIS GUY IS NUTS OR IF HE COMMTIS A CRIME THATS MENTALY ILL RELATED .

I SUGESSETED TO A FRIEND RECENTY THAT MAYBE HIM AN HIS WIFE GET SOEM MARRIAGE COUNSELING AS THER EHAVING A HARD TIME WITH A CHILD WHO IS SICK ALL THE TIME . HE REPLY WAS " UHHH YEA TAKE A CHANCE ON LOOSING MY GUNS ! YEA FUCK THAT ! " I HONESTLY DONT BLAME HIM GIVENTHE CURRENT LAWS BEING PROPOSED. IST SIMPL TO ESY FOR ANY ONE WHO FEELS THEY NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR OR COUNSLER AS BEING NOT NORMAL AN WE HAD BETTER PULL THERE JUST TO BE SAFE.

MY MAIN CONCERN IS WERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE??? WILL SEEING A DOCTOR BECAUSE YOUR DEPRESSED TRIGGER A REPORT FROM THE DOCTOR ???? HOW ABOUT ANEXIETY BECAUSE YOU LOST YOUR JOB OR YOUR SAD BECAUSE YOUR LOVED ONE DIED????

WERE IS THE LINE DRAWN?????????? IMOW IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO SAY HEY DOC I MIGHT NEED SOME HELP AN NOW TO MANY FACE THE FEARS OF LOSS OF HUNTING PRIVILAGES OR GUNS OR EVEN HAVINGHTAT INFO GET INTO THE HANDS OF EMPLOYERS . IM SURE IF YOUR BANNED FORM OWNING A GUN IT WILL BE PUPLIC RECORD. IM ALSO COMNCERNED THAT YOU BEING A REGISTERED ASSULT WEAPON OWNER WILL CAUSE DESCRIMINATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AS WELL AS BANK LOANS AN BARRINGYOU FROM OTHER SOCIAL CROUPS.

JUST WERE WILL THE STATE DRAW A LINE????

RIGHT NOW IF I WAS DEPRESSED OR NEED MARRIAGE COUNSELING HAD ATTENTION DEFICATE DISORDER OR HAVING ISSUES OF ANY KIND I WOULD NOT SEE A DOCTOR. I ALSO WULD NOT TAKE MY KIDS TO A DOCTOR FOR ISSUES FOR FEAR IT WILL COST THEM THERE GUN RIGHTS IN THE FUTURE. HOW MANY KIDS ARE ON ADD MEDICATIONTHESE DAYS TO SEE IF IT HELPS OR NOT?????? SO WHAT HAPPENS WHEN LITTLE JOHN BOY TURNS 18???? AN WNAT TO BUY A GUN?????? ALSO WILL JUVINALS RECORDS BE MONITERED?????? OBVIOUSLY LOTS OF PEOLE BUY A FIRE ARM AFTER THEY TURN 18????? SO NOW IS YOUR KIDS MEDICAL RECORDS GOING TO BE RIVIEWED?? THERE SCHOOL RECORDS??? WILL THAT FIGHT YOU GOT IN IN 8TH GRADE GYM STOP YOU FROM BUYING A GUN BECAUSE YOUR WERE SENT HOME??????

THERE SEEMS TO BE ZERO GUIDE LINES IN THE NEW YORK LAW AS TO WHAT IS AN IS NOT REASON TO DENY.

I DONT KNOW HOW YOU CAN REALLY DO THIS ???? YEA I CAN SEE IF A JUDGE SAYS THIS MAN IS FOUND TO BE MENTALY ILL AN A DANGER BUT I DONT SEE HOW CALL FROM A DOCTOR WITH OUT ANY DUE PROCESS OF THE INDIVIDULE BY THE COURTS .
AN GOD FORBID YOU GET A ANTI GUN DOCTOR AN THERE ARE MANY!

#7 ·
The resistance is getting stronger and more open in their defiance of these unconstitutional restrictions on our 2nd Ammendment rights.

Either we all stand together or we will all fall individually. One at a time they will strip us of our rights. We must band together and resist, peacefully at first...hopefully that will be enough.

#12 ·
NY is definitely on the front line of this war. What happens there will set the tone for the rest of the country. If they need it, we ALL need to go to New York to help support them. Do the Million Gun Owner March in New York, instead of D.C.??

#14 ·
Looks like the resistance is spreading.

The politicians really need to wake up and see what is happening.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.