Thread: Two gun control articles

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Default Two gun control articles

1- Democrats may stand in Obama's way on gun measures

WASHINGTON As the Senate prepares to begin debating new gun control measures, some of President Barack Obama's fellow Democrats are poised to frustrate his efforts to enact the most sweeping limits on weapons in decades.

These Democrats from largely rural states with strong gun cultures view Obama's proposals warily and have not committed to supporting them. The lawmakers' concerns could stand in the way of strong legislation before a single Republican gets a chance to vote "no."

"There's a core group of Democratic senators, most but not all from the West, who represent states with a higher-than-average rate of gun ownership but an equally strong desire to feel their kids are safe," said Mark Glaze, director of Mayors Against Illegal Guns. "They're having hard but good conversations with people back home to identify the middle-ground solutions that respect the Second Amendment but make it harder for dangerous people to get their hands on guns."

All eyes are on these dozen or so Democrats, some of whom face re-election in 2014. That includes Sens. Max Baucus of Montana, Mark Begich of Alaska and Mark Pryor of Arkansas.

The Senate Judiciary Committee begins hearings Wednesday.

Well that's good to hear

2- Obama: Gun-control advocates have to listen more

WASHINGTON President Barack Obama says gun-control advocates have to do a little more listening than they do sometimes in the debate over firearms in America.

In an interview with The New Republic, Obama says he has "a profound respect" for the tradition of hunting that dates back for generations.

"And I think those who dismiss that out of hand make a big mistake. Part of being able to move this forward is understanding the reality of guns in urban areas are very different from the realities of guns in rural areas," he says.

Obama has called for a ban on military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines and is pushing other policies following the mass shooting last month at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn. In response, gun-rights advocates have accused Obama and others of ignoring the Second Amendment rights of Americans.

The president says it's understandable that people are protective of their family traditions when it comes to hunting.

"So it's trying to bridge those gaps that I think is going to be part of the biggest task over the next several months. And that means that advocates of gun control have to do a little more listening than they do sometimes," he says.

Has Obama himself ever fired a gun?

"Yes," the president says, "in fact, up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time."

His daughters don't shoot skeet at the presidential retreat in Maryland, he adds, "but oftentimes guests of mine go up there."

The interview appears in the Feb. 11 issue of The New Republic.

All I can say is impeach
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

impeach for abuse of office!

convict for criminal activity and treason!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have e-mailed and gotten responses from Senator Mark Pryor on several occasions lately. His responses were very positive. I would like to think that by my writing to him I have helped to mold his opinion in some small way. Please contact your reps. They count votes. That is what will make the difference.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

There is going to be alot of problems with this gun control, gun debate or what ever spin on the terminolodgy the elected officals wish to call it. they are not going to go away until they have thier way! We are supposed to have so many rights in this country. And what do we really have lets examine our problem that is growing out of control by the day. Obama, fienstine, schumer pelosi, boxer,and a host of others want to change the second amendment if not tear it to shreds. all these people have weapons and Id bet a thousand dollars that each and everyone of these people eathier have a gun that is apperingon the new ban list or thier body guards do. Now if its a Non-secret service body guard he he too will have to surrender his little toys under his coat such as his high capicity mags and weapon, for those who carry MP-5's those will be a no no as well.

In New York State Cuomo was in such a rush to point out hey look what I did! I have banned all assualt weapons, and restricted hig cap magizines. Well the stupid moron forgot to make the exemption for police officeers in that state. So now all the police are breaking the rules and for the most part are to be considered criminals, for the fact they are breaking a law that was just passed. So let them dig out all the old 38's and 357 Mags & and they will have to find a substiute for the s&w 1000 shotguns that they used to use due to the high cap mag. Id bet anyone a dollar to a dounut that even cuomo has weapons that are on the ban list, that whole family is shady, go and take a real good look to when his father was governor of New York, New York State politics are nothing but a good ole boys club. I could place some things in here that would really nake people say wtf is going on thier. New York like chicago has always been plauged with dishonest politicans and public servants, from Mayor going to federal prison for corruption as well as his some of his staff. to the Sheriff of one county taking inmates out of the Jail to do work on his own house with money thet was taken from drug profits
    that was suposed to go back into the drug unit to further the war on drugs , sure it will. and who could forget the seven New York State Police Officers Evidence Techs that were imprisoned for evidence manufacturing or planting eveidence which ever term you wish to use.I dont know about everyone here But I'm sick and tired of dishonest politicans and those who sneak and pass bills into the night. that are not favorable to its citizans. Here is a sixty four thousand dollar question,,As follows if a policeman give you a lawful order you must follow it, such as moving along ther is nothing to see here , or the officer is getting his butt kicked by a twoo pound psyco strung out on meth who is not only hell bent on not going to jail and is bound and determined to hurt anyone who is going to try and put them there. Now if this strung out POS tries to kill the officer, no-one wants to see this, do you call 911 and get placed on hold which has happened many times in NY State, or do you go and get the weapon that is now banned by law and use deadly force to save the officers life? most will say save the officers life! without a doubt. And for the catch 22, once you use that banned weapon you have just become a criminal, by using a banned weapon to take anothers life, sure the circumstances may get you probation, but commiting a crime with a firearm wil cause you to lose your rights.I will do what, I have to do to protect my family and friend and even other I do not know, But to be blaintiantly honest would it be benifical to help someone who is anti second amendmentm due to contary belief that person could be the best witness for the prosuction to put you in jail. Id Like to strees one point ( and please do hate me for this comment its not ment to be liable or hatefull) Im sure there are several police officers here on the forum and I applude the work you do every day and your main goal is to go home in one oeice at the end of your shift. But the police are to be non-baised and to go by what they see and hear in feild interviews, You dio not have to talk with them right away after a shoting, you can request an attorney be oresent, and they might say ok but your going to have to go to jail ubtil we sort this out!
    Nio Biggie just go if you say one wrong word it will be used against you, you can bet on that it costs over 150 grand just as retainer for an officer involved shooting, imagine just the everyday average joe. You get some public defender schmuck that is only getting a few hundred dollars to defend you,its not worth it. You make think this is bad but If i know for a fact that a person whom is under attact from a would be robber, I will not use deadly force I'll just call 911, and then its all up to them, now if its my family that is diffrent story. This who gun control is getting out of hand. and when the guns are gone it still dose not stop the violence, there are explosives, knives, cars, blunt force objects etc and the list goes on for implements of destruction. At what point dose this maddness stop. I'll tell you get the gun grabbers out of office and do not let them back in no matter who they are, looking ahead to 2016 its going to be real interesting Clinton willmake another bid for the white house and who will be the vice prez obama? Biden may even put in his two cents for the offices of the Presidency and have a clinton as his VP. I seriously believe that we arfe headed towards darker days from these power hungry govermenet imposters. Ill let you in on a litttle secret when obama was running for president I was in a house that was abandoned and was doing some work on the house for an eldery person who owned the house , some lil ole camoagine worker knocked on the door and asked if she could place an obama sign in the front yard I told her no under no circumstances was that sign to be placed there. And Guess what When I went to fget supplies Icam back and the sign was on the lawn.! I called both the democratic hq & the GOP , and informedn them of this dirty political trick, I also informed the democratic campange office thqat id one more sign was to appear on that lawn I woukd file charges against them for trespassing and anything else I coukld get them charge for. these people are not your friends no is the police for that matter, thier job is to keep the peace no mattter what the cost even if itincludeds the taking of a human life. Ehn I was working in ohio Other than drawin gmy weapon to clear a vacant apartment and resecure it, the only time I have ever had to draw my weapon is when some smart ass stree punk with an extensive police record, told me I was fgoing to die that night! for stopping him to ask hinma few questions, due to the behavior he was displaying, as if he was trying to hide from someone. that night This persons inent was to shoot me, but that did not happen , not did the suspect receive any injuries. he left the scene only to be picked up a efw blocks away. The major poin is we cannot take this gun grabbibg crap lying down or say well the other guy can get it done better than me or I dont wnt to get involved! those whom choose to not get involved wil surely be the goverments scrarficial Lambs, I for one will not be one of them!! not now & not ever! Doc

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I still have not watched the news since election day. I have a question for those who do.
    Has there been EVEN ONE politician who mentioned " protection from a tryyanical government" as a reason to keep & bear arms? Or is it only for hunting & sport?
    Because I don't recall those being mentioned in our bill of rights.

Thanks, Brad
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

They are only talking about hunting and sport shooting. You know because Hunting & Sporting is in the 2nd Amendment right next to "No Assault Weapons".

They are all bending this to feed their own agendas. Sorry Washington my rights are not up for you to debate. I say throw them all out and start over. Elect people who are not career politicians.... Like we used to do during the most properous days of America.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score

The only thing that he fired, was probably a water gun .....

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.