Gunco Forums banner

MAN HUNT FOR KILLER EX COP.

9K views 86 replies 26 participants last post by  Carbine Coyote 
#1 ·
I CANT HELP WONDER ABOUT FIENSTIENS BILL WERE RETIRED COPS ARE ALLOWED ASSULT WEAPONS AS IF THERE SOME HOW NOT GENRAL POPULATION AN LESS OF A RISK THAN JOE BLOW . MANY ARE STRESSED OUT AN VERY MENTALY WORN OUT AFTER THEY RETIRE. THE NUMBER OF COPS WHO ARE GETTING BUSTED LATELY OR INVESTIGATED IS SEEMINGLY ON THE RISE.

ANY WAY SAW THIS STORY MADE ME THINK.

SEEMS LA IS AMOUNG THE WORST . I PERSONALY KNOW A WOMEN OFFICER THAT WAS RAPED BY HERE PARTNER, WHILE WORKING FOR THE LA PD AN HE WAS PROSICUTED. THIS WAS AROUND 1990

In this image provided by the Irvine, Calif., Police Department via The Orange County Register, former Los Angeles police officer Christopher Jordan Dorner is shown. Dorner is a suspect in the killings of Monica Quan and her fiance, Keith Lawrence, who were found shot to death in their car at a parking structure Sunday night. (AP Photo/Irvine Police Department via The Orange County Register)

LOS ANGELES — Thousands of police officers throughout Southern California and Nevada hunted Thursday for a disgruntled former Los Angeles officer wanted for going on a deadly shooting rampage that he warned in an online posting would target those on the force who wrong him, authorities said.

Authorities issued a statewide "officer safety warning" and police were sent to protect people named in the posting that was believed to be written by the fired officer, Christopher Dorner, who has military training. Among those mentioned were members of the Los Angeles Police Department.

"I will bring unconventional and asymmetrical warfare to those in LAPD uniform whether on or off duty," said the manifesto.

Dorner has available multiple weapons including an assault rifle, said police Chief Charlie Beck, who urged Dorner to surrender.

"Nobody else needs to die," he said.

More than 40 protection details were assigned to possible targets of Dorner. Police spokesman Cmdr. Andrew Smith said he couldn't remember a larger manhunt by the department.

The search for Dorner, who was fired from the LAPD in 2008 for making false statements, began after he was linked to a weekend killing in which one of the victims was the daughter of a former police captain who had represented him during the disciplinary hearing. Authorities believe Dorner opened fire early Thursday on police in cities east of Los Angeles, killing an officer and wounding another.

Beck detailed Dorner's alleged crimes in an usual press conference in an underground room at police headquarters, where extra security was deployed. The chief said there had been a "night of extreme tragedy in the Los Angeles area" and that all measures were being implemented to ensure officer safety.

Police said Dorner, 33, implicated himself in the couple's killings with the multi-page "manifesto."

A Facebook post believed written by Dorner said he knew he would be vilified by the LAPD and the news media, but that "unfortunately, this is a necessary evil that I do not enjoy but must partake and complete for substantial change to occur within the LAPD and reclaim my name."

Los Angeles police believe the manifesto posted to Facebook was written by Dorner because there are details in it only he would know.

As police searched for him, the packed Los Angeles area was on edge. The nearly 10,000-member LAPD dispatched many of its officers to protect potential targets. The department also pulled officers from motorcycle duty, fearing they would make for easy targets.

In San Diego, where Dorner allegedly tied up an elderly man and unsuccessfully tried to steal his boat Wednesday night, Naval Base Point Loma was locked down Thursday. Navy spokesman Kevin Dixon said a Navy person reported someone matching Dorner's description in the area. Dozens of local police, sheriff's deputies and federal agents were at the base.

Nevada authorities also looked for Dorner because he owns a house nine miles from the Las Vegas Strip, according to authorities and court records.

Authorities said the U.S. Navy reservist may be driving a blue 2005 Nissan Titan pickup truck.

Los Angeles officers guarding a "target" named in the posting shot and wounded two women in suburban Torrance who were in a pickup but were not involved, authorities said. It's not clear if the target is a person or a location. Beck said one woman was in stable condition with two gunshot wounds and the other was being released after treatment.

"Tragically we believe this was a case of mistaken identity by the officers," Beck said.

The Daily Breeze in Torrance also reports () that there was another police shooting nearby involving another pickup truck, but the driver wasn't hurt. Massive manhunt for fired LAPD officer suspected in 3 killings leads to shootings in Torrance, Redondo Beach - The Daily Breeze

"We're asking our officers to be extraordinarily cautious just as we're asking the public to be extraordinarily cautious with this guy. He's already demonstrated he has a propensity for shooting innocent people," said Smith, the LAPD commander.

Dorner is wanted in the killings of Monica Quan and her fiance, Keith Lawrence. They were found shot in their car at a parking structure at their condominium on Sunday night in Irvine, authorities said.

Quan, 28, was an assistant women's basketball coach at Cal State Fullerton. Lawrence, 27, was a public safety officer at the University of Southern California. There was disbelief at three college campuses, Fullerton, USC, and Concordia University, where the two met when they were both students and basketball players.

Dorner was with the department from 2005 until 2008, when he was fired for making false statements.

Quan's father, a former LAPD captain who became a lawyer in retirement, represented Dorner in front of the Board of Rights, a tribunal that ruled against Dorner at the time of his dismissal, LAPD Capt. William Hayes told The Associated Press Wednesday night.

Randal Quan retired in 2002. He later served as chief of police at Cal Poly Pomona before he started practicing law.

According to documents from a court of appeals hearing in October 2011, Dorner was fired from the LAPD after he made a complaint against his field training officer, Sgt. Teresa Evans. Dorner said that in the course of an arrest, Evans kicked suspect Christopher Gettler, a schizophrenic with severe dementia.

Richard Gettler, the schizophrenic man's father, gave testimony that supported Dorner's claim. After his son was returned on July 28, 2007, Richard Gettler asked "if he had been in a fight because his face was puffy" and his son responded that he was kicked twice in the chest by a police officer.

Early Thursday, the first shooting occurred in Corona and involved two LAPD officers working a security detail, LAPD Sgt. Alex Baez. One officer was grazed.

Later, two officers on routine patrol in neighboring Riverside were ambushed at a stop light, said Riverside Lt. Guy Toussaint. One died and the other was in surgery. The officers shot were not actively looking for Dorner, Toussaint said.

Dorner's LAPD badge and an ID were found near San Diego's airport and were turned in to police at early Thursday, San Diego police Sgt. Ray Battrick said.

#57 ·
THE LAPD IS COMPLETLRY OUT OF CONTROL

Get Los Angeles Alerts:

Follow:

Video, Christopher Dorner Car, Christopher Dorner Mistaken Identity, David Perdue, David Perdue Christopher Dorner, David Perdue Shot Car, Christopher Dorner, Christopher Dorner Search, Los Angeles News

A third person was reportedly shot at because police believed he was suspected cop killer and fugitive Christopher Dorner.

David Perdue was on his way to catch some waves on Thursday morning when, according to his lawyer, a Torrance, Calif. police cruiser "slammed into his pickup and officers opened fire," reports the Los Angeles Times.

The bullets missed Perdue, but his attorney, Robert Sheahen, said his client suffered a concussion and hurt his shoulder, making it temporarily impossible for him to work at his job as a baggage handler at LAX. Perdue's car was also totaled, Sheahen told the Times.

The Torrance Police Department said the incident was a case of mistaken identity. Officers thought Perdue's truck was Dorner's pickup.

The department issued this statement to the Times:

"The circumstances of the incident known to the responding officers would have led a reasonable officer under normal circumstances -- and these were far from normal circumstances -- to believe that fellow officers were being shot at and that the vehicle traveling toward them posed a serious risk.
"In the split seconds available to them," the statement continued, "action was appropriate to intervene and stop the actions of the driver of that vehicle."

Sheahen told the Los Angeles Daily News that the officers' actions were "violent and reckless."

The paper notes that "Perdue is a thin white man who looks nothing like Dorner" who is black and heavier set.

"In light of the officer's attempt to kill Mr. Perdue Mr. and Mrs. Perdue would like to know what, if any, disciplinary action the Torrance Police Department intends to take against the officers involved," Sheahen said in a letter sent to the department and obtained by the Daily News. "They would also like to know what the (department) intends to do to make sure that their community is not endangered like this in the future."

The incident is still under investigation, according to the Times.

The shooting is the second case of mistaken identity associated with the search for Dorner.

Also on Thursday, two women were shot at by Los Angeles Police officers because their truck was mistaken for Dorner's. At the time, there was a report that Dorner had been spotted in the neighborhood.

KPCC reported on Sunday that the two women were released from the hospital, according to their attorney.

Dorner's actual truck was discovered "deserted and in flames" on the side of Bear Mountain, Calif. on Thursday, according to ABC News.

Authorities have offered a $1 million reward for information that leads to the arrest of Dorner, a former LAPD cop and Navy reservist accused of killing three people.

#58 ·
Guess they got him.

Unless their was another 6' 2" 300 lb. ***** up there?

Human remains found in cabin believed to be from fugitive
A sheriff's spokesperson said charred human remains have been found in the burned-out cabin where fugitive former Los Angeles police officer Christopher Dorner was believed to have been hiding. However, the identification of the remains has not been verified.
Human remains found in cabin believed to be from fugitive | News | DW.DE | 13.02.2013

#59 ·
yea it accidently caught on fire NOT !
how the LAPD WAS BROUGHT IN TO HELP THE SHERIFF UP IN THE MOUNTAINS IS WHAT REALLY BOTHERS ME. YOU WOULD THINK THE LAPD WOULD BE FORCED OUT AS CONFLICT OF INTREST SINCE HE IS ACCUSING THEM OF CRIMES AS WELL.

WHY THEY COULD NOT GET OTHER HELP OR HANDEL IT HTEM SELVES IS BEYOND ME.

I CANT SEE HOW HE IS IN THERE JURISDICTION. I CANT SEE WHO WOULD ALLOW THEM IN ????? SOME THING REALLY STINKS HERE . SINCE WHEN DOES THE SHERRIF NEED A TOWNS POLICE DEPARTMENTS HELP?????????
THE LAPD SHOT HOW MANY PEOPLE ON ACCIDENT ?????? NOW LETS BRING THEM UP IN THE WOODS ?????? WTF????????????????? THE LAST THING THE SHERRIF NEEDS IS LAPD GOING TRIGGER HAPPY AN KILLING SHERRIFS

I HEARD ON OTHER SITES THE LAPD WAS IN MEXICO AS WELL ?????????????????????

#60 ·
biggun..

Guess they tried gas at first.. But I would bet this guy had a gas mask in his bug out bag..
Ah what the hell. When all else fails like "Waco." Heave a fire bomb in, that always get their attention..

#61 ·
I gotta say, for all the so called training this guy supposedly had his tactics sure do suck.

If it was even him. The medical examiner will say whatever they tell him to. If it wasn't him they will never admit it.

Pull the video footage and send in the death squads.

They forgot to disappear the audio though.

[video=youtube;0X-WoiJhVY8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0X-WoiJhVY8]LAPD Audio Reveals "Plan" to Burn Down Dorner's Cabin - YouTube[/video]

“Alright, we’re gonna go ahead with the plan with the burners,” one officer says.

“Copy,” replies another.

“Like we talked about,” the first officer responds.

“The burners are deployed, and we have a fire,” says another officer moments later, before the police dispatcher repeats the statement.

Within minutes of the fire starting, police note that the cabin is “starting to collapse.”

Police are also heard discussing if they are ready to “bring fire”.

“Burners” is police slang for tear gas canisters, which are known to cause fires.

In a separate clip carried by a local news channel, police are heard to say, “Fucking burn this motherfucker,” and “burn that fucking house down.” This audio appears to be from earlier in the siege following the initial shootout between Dorner and cops.

#66 ·
He got what he had comming to him. Lets say that everything he said in his ramblings from getting in trouble in kindergarden to the LAPD conspiring against him are absolutely true. He killed the daughter and boyfriend of a LAPD officer who had most likely never met dorner. Then he shot two officers in a neighboring town killing one. Then he again shot two sheriffs deputies killing one. If his beef was with LAPD he didn't harm one of it's members and didn't have the balls to kill the person he blamed the most so he went after that guys kids like a chicken shit coward. Is there still corruption?...absolutely in every branch of government. What makes dorner so special? The guy was a nut and wanted to get attention through his tantrum. It's just too bad that the 4+? dead and the half dozen innocent people injured through this incident were ever even harmed.

#68 ·
He got what he had comming to him.
I beg to differ, Moleman. He did not get a fair trial, or presumption of innocence until proven guilty in a court of law. The LEOs acted as judge, jury and executioner of Dorner. Essentially they went after him from the beginning with a silent, tacit, 'kill on sight' mentality. If this wasn't the case, those two women delivering newspapers wouldn't have been shot. Nor would the man that just cleared a check point have had his vehicle rammed.

It's just too bad that the 4+? dead and the half dozen innocent people injured through this incident were ever even harmed.
So you're saying it was Dorner that made the police officers shoot those women and ram the vehicle of the man? That they shouldn't be held accountable for their actions since Dorner made them do it?

I suggest you all think about the abuse of power that just occurred in this instance and decide if you want this type of 'law enforcement' to continue in the future.

#67 ·
Well said moleman. Very well said..
May those Officer R.I.P. and may their families be consoled..
Good post, thank you Sir.. :salute:

#72 ·
He got what he had comming to him. Lets say that everything he said in his ramblings from getting in trouble in kindergarden to the LAPD conspiring against him are absolutely true. He killed the daughter and boyfriend of a LAPD officer who had most likely never met dorner. Then he shot two officers in a neighboring town killing one. Then he again shot two sheriffs deputies killing one. If his beef was with LAPD he didn't harm one of it's members and didn't have the balls to kill the person he blamed the most so he went after that guys kids like a chicken shit coward. Is there still corruption?...absolutely in every branch of government. What makes dorner so special? The guy was a nut and wanted to get attention through his tantrum. It's just too bad that the 4+? dead and the half dozen innocent people injured through this incident were ever even harmed.
HMMM I AGREE WITH YOU IF HE COMMITTTED THESE CRIMES.

HOWEVER ILL SAY THIS THERE IS SOME THING WRONG HERE VERY WRONG EVEN IF HE IS GUILTY .

ASIDE FROM THE MEDA SAYING HE DID WHAT PROOF IS THERE HE DID ANYTHING??????? AN ITS THE LAPD WHO FEED THE MEDIA THE STORY . ID LIKE TO HAVE SEEN HIM TAKEN ALIVE AN THE OBVIOUS SHOOT FIRST ASK QUESTIONS LATER TACTICS REALLY RAISES SOME SUSPICION .

YEA HES LIKELY A NUT BUT HOW DO WE KNOW??? THE LAPD HAS BEEN CAUGHT IN NUMERIOUS COVER UPS AN SCAMS. I HAVE A SUSPICIION HE KNEW A LOT OF CROOKED STUFF LAPD HAS DONE. THE LAPD WAS LITTELAY SHOOTNG MOVING CSRS WITH WOMEN IN THEM. SERIUOSLY WHEN ELSE DOES THIS HAPPEN???? THIS IS CRAP GANGS DO. SO IF A LAPD OFFICER SAYS A GUY IS A KILLER DO THEY HAVE THE ROGHT TO STRT SHOOTNG CARS NO QUESTIONS ASKED . HELL HOW DO WE KNOW ANYTHING IS TRUE???????? THE LAPD WENT TO VERY VERY EXTREAMS TO TRY TO MAKE SURE THIS GUY NEVER SPOKE TO ANY ONE. THEY DONT EVEN SHOOT KNNOWN GANG MEMABERS WHO HAVE SHOT COPS LIKE THIS.

I HAVE A SERIOUS ISSUE HAVING THE VERY MEN HE IS REPORTADLY IS AFTER AN HAS A VENDETA AGAINS AN THE SAME DEPARTMENT THAT SHOT AT LEAST 3 INOCENT PEOLE WITH ZERO ATTENTION TO PROCEDURE OR THE LAW BEING BROGHT INTO A SITUATION WERE HE IS SUSPOSEDLY BARACADED INTO A CABIN .
I SERIOUSLY THINK ANY CHANCES OF HIM COMING OUT AN SURENDERING WITH HE LAPD THERE BY WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE PERMISSION OF THE SHERRIF DEPARTMENT WHO HAS JURISIDICTION IS ABOUT ZERO.

WHY WOULD ANY LAWENFORCEMNT AGENCY CALL IN A DEPARTMENT THAT ARE OVER ZELIOUSNES TO KILL THIS GUY WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED WHO HAS ALREADY LEAD TO INICENTS BEING SHOT WITH ZERO PROBABLE CAUSE?????????????

AGAIN WHY DID THE LAPD NEED TO BE OUT OF THE CITY OF LA?????????????? THERE ARE AT LEAST A DOZEN OTHER AGENCYS WHO COULD HAVE ASSISTED INSTEAD THEY BRING IN THE ONE GROUP THAT THEY KNOW THIS GUY IS SUSPOSEDLY GOING TO KILL ON SITE! THER ONE GROUP THAT WAS SHOOTING AT ANY THING THAT MOVED WITH OUT EVEN TRYING TO ASK IF IT WAS HIM. LAPS DEALS WITH KILLERS EVERY DAY AN DONT FIRE ON MOVING CARS WITH WOMEN IN THEM AN RAM TRUCKS AN SHOT THE DRIVERS HOW IS THIS PERMISSABLE FOR THE LAPD NOW??????? ONCE THE SUSPOECT LEFT THE CITY THE LAPD SHOULD HAVE BEEN RELIEVED FRIOMT HE CASE ESPECIALY SINCE THERE WERE ACCUSATIONS BEING MADE BY THE SUSPECT ABOUT THERE CONDUCT AN POSSABLE GUILT OF CRIMES.

EVEN IF HE HAD DONE WHAT HE IS ACCUSED OF LAPS HAD NO RIGHT TO ACT THE WAY THERY DID AN NO RIGHT TO BE AT THE CABIN IMO .

IN THIS CASE ID LIKE TO HAVE SEEN THE MAN TAKEN ALIVE. I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO HAVE HIM QUESTIONED IN A TRAIL. IT DOSENT SOUND LIKE THERE WAS ANY NEGOSATIONS OR ATTEMPOTS TO HEAR ANYHTING FROM THIS SUSPECT ( MAYBE IM WRONG ) . THERE LUCKY THEY EVEN GOT THE RIGHT GUY CONSIDERING THEY HAD SCREWD IT UP AT LEAST THREE OTHER TIMES. AN IF THE RUMMORS ARE TRUE OF LAPD IN MEXICO THEN THAT NEED TO BE ADRESSED ALSO.

LETS SEE IF THE COPS WHO SHOT MOVING CARS AN RAMMED TRUCKS AN THEN SHOT THE DRIVERS KEEP THERE JOBS????????????????????????

I DONT THINK FOR A SECOND THE CABIN CAUGHT FIRE BY ACCIDENT. I SUSPECT THE THE MEDIA WAS REMOVED FROM THE SCENE POLICE DASH CAMS WERE TURNED OFF AN THE CABIN WAS SET ON FIRE. IF HE WAS IN THERE WERE THE HELL WAS HE GOING ???????????? WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME ANY POLICE ANGENCY IMEADITALY JUST WENT IN AFTER A SUSPECT USUALY THEY SAND AROUND WITHT HERE DICKS IN THERE HANDS TRYING TO DECIDE WHAT TO DO.

HOW LONG FROM THER TIME THE LAPD GOT THERE AN THE CABIN WAS ON FIRE???????

UNLESS HE SET FORE TO THE CABIN AN KILLED HIM SELF I THINK THERE IS SOME EXPLAANING TO DO.

I KNOW VICTOMS OF THE LAPD AN ID TRUST LAPD LESS THAN THE MEDIA IF THERE NAMES WERE AT STAKE .

SO IN A STAND OFF LIKE THIS WERE THERE ARE TONS OF LEO PRESCANCE WHY IS THERE NO VIDEO OF WHAT HAPPENS YOU WPOULD THINK IN THIS DAY AN AGE AN THE SCRUTINY OF THE PUPLIC ESPECIALY REGUARDING THE LAPD THERE OULD EB VIDEO TAKEN BY LEOS????????????????????

IF THE LAPD WANTED TO COME OUT LOOKIG GOOD THEY WOULD HAVE COAUGHT THIS GUY ON CAMERA PROVING HE WAS GIVEN EVERY CHANCE INSTEAD IT WNET DOWN LIKE EVERY SINGLE PERSON PREDICTED HE WAS KILLED WITH NO EVIDENCE OF HOW.

YOU COULD NOT WRITE A MOVIE ANY BETTER .

#78 ·
#74 ·
They shouldn't be held accountable for their actions since Dorner made them do it?
If that woman LAPD officer had been held accountable after giving the retard a boot party...none of this would have happened... Dorner would be working as a LAPD police officer right now and only people getting the shaft would be the citizens of LA... B2B

BY the WAY IN the police Academy there is a Training block where you must turn you partner in if he uses excessive force on a handcuffed prisoner...or you fail the part of the academy....

#77 ·
HMMMM THE CABIN LOOKS LIKE IT BURNT TO THE GROUND YET THERE IS A READLBE ID??? I SUSPSE ITS POSSABLE. BUT FISHY. I WASNET AWARE THERE WAS A SHOOT OUT AT THE CABIN WHEN IO WROTE MY LAST POST BTW. APPARENTY TOW DEPUTIES MANAGED TO GEWT SHO AN ONE KILLED??? YOU FISH AN GAME CHASING THE GUY AN EXCHANGING GUN FIRE WTF ???????? THINGS JSUT SEEM TO NICELY PACKAGED BY THE MEDIA AN A LOT OF PEOLE SENCE THIS .

BTW MOLEMAN NO DISRESPECT TO YOU IM JUST ASKING QUESTONS IN GENREAL I HOPE YOU DONT FEEL ATTACTED NOT MY INTENT. .

WERE IS THE AIR COVERAGE THE NEWS CAMERAS THE LEO DASH VIDEOS ?????

I DIONT GET IT YOU GOT THE GUY BARACADED IN CABIN HOW DO YO MANAGE TO GET TWO DEPUTIES SHOT ??????? THIS GUY IS DANGERIOUS AN YOU KNOW HE IS IN THERE AN YO HAVE ARMORED VEHICLE BUT YOU HAVE GUYS STILL GETTING SHOT ?????

IF THE GUY WAS AS BAD AS REPORTED ( AN LIKELY IS ) WNHY WOULD YOU BE IN A SHOOT OUT WITH HIM?????????? SOME ONE SCREWD UP HUGE AN PAID WITH THERE LIFE.

IF GUILTY AN HE LIKELY IS IN GLAD THEY GOT HIM BUT HOLLY GRAP ITS KEYSTONE COPS HERE. WE GOT WOMEN BEIG SHOT TRUCKS RAMMED GAMEWARDENS CHASING HIM CAR CRASHES . BARCADED CABINS, SHOOT OUTS FIRES AN ONE LONE SHOT AS THE CABIN BUREND DOWN WERE WE HEAR HE KILLED HIMSELF.

ID LIKED TO HAVE SEEN A TRIAL WERE HE RATTED OUT LAPD PEOPLE AS HE WENT DOWN FOR CRIMES.

BTW IF THIS GUY HAD MADE IT TO RETIREMNET HE WOULD BE ALLOWED ASSULT WEAPONS UNDER FIENSTIENS LAW. LMFAO THE FACT HE IS NUTS AN WAS RECENTKLY A LAW ENFORCEMTN OFFICER IS SCARY . HOW MANY MORE ARE THERE LIKE HIM ??????
APPARENTLY HE WAS HIDDING OUT ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE COMMAND CNETER FOR THE SEARCH THEY NEVER THOUGH TO CHECK THAT CABIN ?????????????????

ALSO WHO THE HELL STEELS A PURPLE CAR AS A GET AWAY VEHICLE LIKE THAT NOT GOING TO BE HARD TO SPOT IN A PARKING LOT YIKES DUMB ASS. HE SHOULD HAVE STOLE A GREEN CAR. LOL

Christopher Dorner License: Driver's ID Found Alongside Burnt Body In Cabin

The Associated Press | By TAMI ABDOLLAH AND GILLIAN FLACCUS Posted: 02/13/2013 9:54 am EST | Updated: 02/13/2013 2:18 pm EST

Share on Google+

Get Crime Alerts:

Follow:

Chris Dorner Body, Christopher Dorner, Christopher Dorner ID, Christopher Dorner Driver's License, Christopher Dorner License, Christopher Dorner, Dorner Body, Dorner Body ID, Dorner Driver's License, Dorner Manhunt, Crime News

BIG BEAR LAKE, Calif. (AP) -- An official briefed on the investigation tells The Associated Press that a wallet with a California driver's license with the name Christopher Dorner has been found in the rubble of a cabin.

A charred body was also found inside after a shootout and fire.

Authorities believe the remains are those of the former Los Angeles police officer, but they have not been formally identified.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation and says the charred body and personal items were found in the basement of the burned cabin. The area is in the San Bernardino Mountains east of Los Angeles.

Two sheriff's deputies were also shot, one fatally. Dorner is also suspected of earlier killing a young couple and a police officer, and wounding two other officers.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

As police scoured mountain peaks for days, using everything from bloodhounds to high-tech helicopters, the revenge-seeking ex-cop they wanted was hiding among them, holed up in a vacation cabin across the street from their command post.

It was there that Christopher Dorner apparently took refuge last Thursday, four days after beginning a deadly rampage that would claim four lives.

The search ended Tuesday when a man believed to be Dorner bolted from hiding, stole two cars, barricaded himself in a vacant cabin and mounted a last stand in a furious shootout in which he killed one sheriff's deputy and wounded another before the building erupted in flames.

He never emerged from the ruins and hours later a charred body was found inside.

"We have reason to believe that it is him," San Bernardino County sheriff's spokeswoman Cynthia Bachman said.

Dorner, 33, had said in a lengthy rant police believe he posted on Facebook that he expected to die in one final, violent confrontation with police, and if it was him in the cabin that's just what happened.

The apparent end came very close to where his trail went cold six days earlier when his burning pickup truck - with guns and camping gear inside - was abandoned with a broken axle on a fire road in the San Bernardino National Forest near the ski resort town of Big Bear Lake.

His footprints led away from the truck and vanished on frozen soil.

With no sign of him and few leads, police offered a $1 million reward to bring him to justice and end a "reign of terror" that had more than 50 families of targeted Los Angeles police officers under round-the-clock protection after he threatened to bring "warfare" to the LAPD, officers and their kin.

Just a few hours after police announced Tuesday that they had fielded more than 1,000 tips with no sign of Dorner, word came that a man matching his description had tied up two people in a Big Bear Lake cabin, stole their car and fled. Authorities didn't immediately give more details on the two people.

Game wardens from the California Department of Fish and Wildlife who were part of the search detail spotted the purple Nissan that had been reported stolen going in the opposite direction and gave chase, department spokesman Lt. Patrick Foy said. The driver looked like Dorner.

They lost the purple car after it passed a school bus and turned onto a side road, but two other Fish and Wildlife patrols turned up that road a short time later, and were searching for the car when a white pickup truck sped erratically toward the wardens.

"He took a close look at the driver and realized it was the suspect," Foy said.

Dorner, who allegedly stole the pickup truck at gunpoint after crashing the first car, rolled down a window and opened fire on the wardens, striking a warden's truck more than a dozen times.

One of the wardens shot at the suspect as he rounded a curve in the road. It's unclear if he hit him, but the stolen pickup careened off the road and crashed in a snow bank. Dorner then ran to the cabin where he barricaded himself and got in a shootout with San Bernardino County sheriff's deputies and other officers who arrived.

Two deputies were shot, one fatally.

A SWAT team surrounded the cabin and used an armored vehicle to break out the cabin windows, said a law enforcement official who requested anonymity because the investigation was ongoing. The officers then lobbed tear gas canisters into the cabin and blasted a message over a loudspeaker: "Surrender or come out."

The armored vehicle then tore down each of the cabin's four walls.

A single shot was heard inside before the cabin was engulfed in flames, the law enforcement official told The Associated Press.

Until Tuesday, authorities weren't sure Dorner was still in Big Bear Lake, where his pickup was found within walking distance from the cabin where he hid.

Even door-to-door searches failed to turn up any trace of him in the quiet, bucolic neighborhood where children were playing in the snow Tuesday night.

With many searchers leaving town amid speculation he was long gone, the command center across the street was taken down Monday.

Ron Erickson, whose house is only about quarter mile away, said officers interrogated him to make sure he wasn't being held hostage. Erickson himself had been keeping a nervous watch on his neighborhood, but he never saw the hulking Dorner.

"I looked at all the cabins that backed the national forest and I just didn't think to look at the one across from the command post," he said. "It didn't cross my mind. It just didn't."

Police said Dorner began his run on Feb. 6 after they connected the slayings of a former police captain's daughter and her fiance with his angry manifesto.

Dorner blamed LAPD Capt. Randal Quan for providing poor representation before the police disciplinary board that fired him for filing a false report.

Dorner, who is black, claimed in his online rant that he was the subject of racism by the department and was targeted for doing the right thing.

Chief Charlie Beck, who initially dismissed Dorner's allegations, said he would reopen the investigation into his firing - not to appease the ex-officer, but to restore confidence in the black community, which had a long fractured relationship with police that has improved in recent years.

Dorner vowed to get even with those who had wronged him as part of his plan to reclaim his good name.

"You're going to see what a whistleblower can do when you take everything from him especially his NAME!!!" the rant said. "You have awoken a sleeping giant."

Within hours of being named as a suspect in the killings, the 6-foot, 270-pounder described as armed and "extremely dangerous," tried unsuccessfully to steal a boat in San Diego to flee to Mexico. After leaving a trail of evidence, he headed north where he opened fire on two patrol cars in Riverside County, shooting three officers and killing one.

With a description of his car broadcast all over the Southwest and Mexico, he managed to get to the mountains 80 miles east of Los Angeles where his burning truck was found.

Only a short distance from the truck, he spent his final days with a front-row seat to the search mobilized right outside.

#79 ·
HOLLY CRAP THERE HAD TO BE 5000 ROUNDS FIRED LOTS OF FULL AUTO.

ALL THIS TO GET ONE GUY OUT OF A CABIN ?????? I GUESS .

I LKED THE PART WERE THEY GUY CANT GET HIS BACK PACK ON WAS HE GOING CAMPING ?????????

HWAT DID OBAMA SAY ABOUT COPS BEING OUT GUNNED ????? DONT LOOK LIKE IT TO ME.

GLAD ITS OVER .

#80 ·
The interview with the folks that owned the cabin kinda concerned me though,,

They said that he told them he didn't want to hurt them , and just wanted to clear his name????? What to hell does that mean??

Are we missing something ,,or,,,, is there more to this story here????? Bet we don't hear that one again, wanna bet?? SWOOSH,,,under the rug!

A couple of things don't add up to me though. Just saying.

Bye the way ,,,, did anyone notice all the sloppy tactics at the beginning and most of the way through that operation BTW??? WTF,,,, I wouldn't have made it a week in Nam that way,,,, good Lord!! spray and pray,,,advance in a line,,,,bunched up,,,,line of fire open from the target when not advancing,,,,,,you got to be kidding me!

Ya got one fucking guy,,trained (maybe),,, use your head! Shoot straight and use proper tactics . They broke every rule in the book. A couple guys engaging from cover that can really shoot, quarantine tango's muzzle blast, and snipe him,,, simple. FUBAR,,, IMO!

And I only looked at the video once and noticed all that, I'm sure I could point out more if I really looked.
And YES I Have been in combat, no maul ninja chit here brother, I'm talking from experience. For those of you new guys that don't know me.

Fucking amateurs IMO !! Very sloppy. Look closely again if you don't believe me.

#81 ·
yes sir that looked like the keystone cops in action. what i cant square away is this. the cabin scene was an all out spray and pray, they lit up 2 older ladies in a truck and almost did on another truck. seems like over kill for one guy. its almost like they we hell bent on taking him out. there has got to be more to this story. something aint right here. dead men cant testify. i am wondering if the bozo that tossed the grenade didnt use something like WP. not too long after the cabin went up in smoke.

dont even get me started on the shoot out. my 17 and 14 y/o have better trigger and muzzle discipline. the guys behind the truck just seemed to be shooting at nothing. looks very theatrical to me.

#82 ·
Ya,, the guy behind the truck in the fore ground just poped off one round so he could say he was returning fire I guess and is a hero??? Oh well,,, at any rate,,,,,what a dog and pony show!

That commander should be real proud, if it was my guys backing me up when I humped the 60,, I'd have kicked each one in the ass,,,, personally!

#83 ·
twa...in case you havent heard it lately, THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!

DITTO TO ANYONE ELSE THAT CARED OR DARED TO SERVE.

i still cnt figure out the guy to the left of the truck. huge asses backpkack and it looks like a LAW. what a tool.

#85 ·
The interview with the folks that owned the cabin kinda concerned me though,,

They said that he told them he didn't want to hurt them , and just wanted to clear his name????? What to hell does that mean??

Are we missing something ,,or,,,, is there more to this story here????? Bet we don't hear that one again, wanna bet?? SWOOSH,,,under the rug!

A couple of things don't add up to me though. Just saying.

Bye the way ,,,, did anyone notice all the sloppy tactics at the beginning and most of the way through that operation BTW??? WTF,,,, I wouldn't have made it a week in Nam that way,,,, good Lord!! spray and pray,,,advance in a line,,,,bunched up,,,,line of fire open from the target when not advancing,,,,,,you got to be kidding me!

Ya got one fucking guy,,trained (maybe),,, use your head! Shoot straight and use proper tactics . They broke every rule in the book. A couple guys engaging from cover that can really shoot, quarantine tango's muzzle blast, and snipe him,,, simple. FUBAR,,, IMO!

And I only looked at the video once and noticed all that, I'm sure I could point out more if I really looked.
And YES I Have been in combat, no maul ninja chit here brother, I'm talking from experience. For those of you new guys that don't know me.

Fucking amateurs IMO !! Very sloppy. Look closely again if you don't believe me.
I HAVE NEVER SEEN COMBATE BUT IF THOSE GUYS COULD SEE HIM TO SHOOT THEY WERE WIDE OPEN. NOT SURE WHAT ELSES TO SAY . ALL THT SHOOTNG WTF. IF ITS GOT TO THE POINT WERE THYE HAVE TO SHOT HIM JUST SHOOT A REAL GERNADE IN OR GAS HIS ASS.

HOW COMOIN IS IT OFR SMOKE GERNADES TO CAUSE FIRES???? A HOUSE WAS RAIDED HERE A FEW YEARS AGO AN IT CAUGHT FIRE FROM A SMOKE GERNADE AS WELL.

I FI WAS IN ASHOOT OUT I WOULD NOT BE FUMBELING AROUND PUTTING ON A 50 POUND BACK BACK THAT WOULD NOT ME GET UNDER A TRUCK. IM STILL SCRATHINC MYHEAD WHAT THE HELL WAS IT FULL OF BEER ??????? WHAT DO YOU NEED TO HAVE IN A SHOOT OUT AT A CABIN ??????? HMMMMW ELL GUN AMMO BULLET PROFF VEST . SURE MAYBE HGE WAS HUMPING UP A NOTHER 2000 ROUNDS OF 223 FOR THE GUYS RUNNING OUT .

FOR GUYS WHO THINK THERE NOT GOING TO TURN OVER GUNS IN THE CASE OF A BAN WATCH THIS VIDEO THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL BE UP AGAINST IF YOU SAY NO.

ID LOVE TO KNOW HOW MANY GUYS WERE SHOOTING. THAT SUSPOECT SURE MUST HAVE LOTS TO SHOOT AT.

I DOINT GET TI IM NO LEO BUT MY THINKIG WOULD HAVE BEEN OK THIS IS OFFICER BIGGUN YOU GOT TWO MINUTES TO COME OUT AS SIT BEHIND MY ROCK OR TREE AN THEN IF HE DONT COME OUT YOU SEND IN GAS AN IF HE DONT COME OUT YOU BLOW THE HOUSE UP . NO NEED FOR 100 TARGETS REUNNNNG AROUND IN CAMOING GEAR TRYING TO GET THREE GUYS BEHIND ONE CAR DOOR OR TREE. I DIONT GET WHY SO MANY GUYS WERE MAKING TARGETS OF THEM SLEVES. WERE THE HELL WAS HE GOING TO GO???????? WHAT WAS THE HURRY ???????? AN WHY WAS THE LAPOD THERE AT ALL AS WELL AS EVERY ONE ELSE THRE. AN FOR CHRITS SAKES YOU HAD A ARMORED VEHICLE TO KNOCK THE HOUS DOWN WY WAS EVERY ONE SHOOTING AN GETTING SHOT. MAKES NO SENCE TO ME. THOSE GUYS DIDNT NEED TO GET SHOT OR DIE .

ID ALSO LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE SUSPECT WAS SHOOTING BACK WITH???????

WHEN I GET RICH AN BUY A HIDE OUT ITS GOIG TO HAVE A ESCAPE TUNNEL AN A FIRE EXTINGISHER.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.