Thread: Molding Kydex

All over the Country, but my home's in Florida
    Feedback Score

Default Molding Kydex

I had a good experience with some kydex and wanted to share. well, I picked up S&W M&P( with the Apex comp kit- awesome!) and I had a Comp-Tac IWB in kydex for a Glock 23 that I once had, so I decided to try and remold it to the M&P.

After some research online I went ahead and it turned out perfect.

One person who makes kydex holsters uses a 2 ton press and takes 2 pieces of wood and glues a foam mat onto them and heats the kydex and wraps the item( knife or gun) and then places them between the wood and presses them with the press, to make a perfect molding.

Well, I don't have a press, so didn't want to make the wood/foam thingy. After some contemplating and figuring the foam density, etc, I decided to use two phone books. They worked perfect.

So, heat the kydex to 300 deg F, not more then 350deg( I used a toaster oven). Heat several minutes until pliable. Place gun in holster( or wrap kydex around item) and place between two phonebooks and stand on it( I'm 200lbs) for a minute( until holster cools) and presto chango, a Comp-Tac iwb holster for a S&W M&P. Perfectly formed to the pistol.......
    Freedom comes from those who fought for it.
    USMC, GoA Lifer, NRA, IDPA SO, Florida Cracker

Feedback Score

Awesome job. I have made Kydex sheethes and Magazine Holders in the past and am looking to get back into it. The materials are extremely cheep. Instead of standing on it I used the wood and foam trick but used clamps and vice grips to press the two boards together. Then used a hair dryer to heat the finnished product to forn the "wings" to create a tighter fit to the body.

Also love the M&P. I have one I set up and replaced all the innards with the APEX setup. Once I stop being lave iI'm going to do the AEK trigger on it.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score

Cool, yeah if I was to get into it on a regular basis, I'd invest in a press and jig......I'm usually old school and prefer leather( my 1911s rest in leather), but the M&P feels more at home in kydex and the Comp-tac I had laying around is a good platform. I work in leather and wood , so this is a good medium for those who like to work with their hands. I was really inpressed at how easily and completely the kydex formed to the pistol. Luckily my body weight was enough this time.

Ditto on the M&P, very well could be the best handgun I've ever owned now( and I have a hand fitted, all forged parts, on a Caspian frame and slide, 1911)... the Apex comp pkg makes the trigger as close to SA as any could get and the reset is barely noticeable. I'll wear this trigger out and then get the Apex aluminum one.

Feedback Score

Where can I find Kydex that doesn't cost as much as the finished product? The prices for a 1foot square piece on Ebay is as much as I pay for hog.
    Hunter

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Tandy Leather has kydex. I just bought some for a repro of a galco king tuk. I need the forming foam to complete my homemade press, i.e. plywood, foam, and clamps.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_02 View Post
    Where can I find Kydex that doesn't cost as much as the finished product? The prices for a 1foot square piece on Ebay is as much as I pay for hog.
    Hunter

KnifeKits.com™ : Knife & Gun Making Supplies and Tools KYDEX® Sheet Material

This is where I got mine when I was heavier into it. This thread has re-sparked my interest though. Thanks alot GeneC. Now my wife has to deal with me using the oven all day doing this again.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Abukai08 View Post
    KnifeKits.com™ : Knife & Gun Making Supplies and Tools KYDEX® Sheet Material

This is where I got mine when I was heavier into it. This thread has re-sparked my interest though. Thanks alot GeneC. Now my wife has to deal with me using the oven all day doing this again.

LOLOL....glad I could help.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

ran into the same issue. wanted to do about 6 holsters. the 12x12 were pricey. found a dealer in jax fl and got an 4'x8' sheet for $75

Hunter
    al gore is full of carbon enriched shit

Feedback Score

Ok, knifekits is affordable. Now, is there anyway to line Kydex?
    Hunter

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Ok, knifekits is affordable. Now, is there anyway to line Kydex?
    Hunter
    working on that. need to find thin leather. line the kydex with contact cement/leather. hope it works
    al gore is full of carbon enriched shit

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.