Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: State looking into airborne boat crash in Key Largo

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default State looking into airborne boat crash in Key Largo

State environment officials are assessing the damage caused in this week’s crash in which a Coconut Grove man accidentally drove his boat up onto a mangrove island in Key Largo — traveling 250 feet into trees before landing.
    Daniel McBride, 39, was operating his 36-foot Concept vessel — powered by three 300 horsepower engines — around 10:30 p.m.
    Read more here: State looking into airborne boat crash in Key Largo with Miami-Dade man aboard - Florida Keys - MiamiHerald.com
    Karl

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

HMMMM 4THIDVET HAS BEEN A LITTLE QUITE . YOU DONT SUSPOSE????????

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Nah. Was not me this time.. Happens a lot down here, I hate it when dry land gets in the way..
    Ripped out my neighbors sprinkler system pump with a pontoon boat load of friends heading too the bar. Was wondering what the damn pvc pipe in the boat was.
    Came into the canal a tad fast, Bro on the front waiting to tie up. Smashed into the dock and he flew about 50 feet across the lawn. Few grass burns, but he was o.k.
    Put the boat on another neighbors dock, just about half way.. Jerk was running around like a chicken with his head cut off screaming. Took about 5 of us to get it back in the water.
    250 feet? Damn, has to be a Florida record.. Bro on the river had a bass boat fly and come in his living room, think that was just about 60 feet though..
    Now I have heard of guys going airborne when they hit unlit buoys at night on the river, when the boat came to a sudden stop..
    Always wear a life jacket. Yah never know..
    Tell yah the story later, when my flats pole snapped and almost speared a guy, who never saw it, in the head.. Now that was pure accident..
    250, well I will be damned.. Bet we can beat that with my Bros go fast..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

LOL YEA BOATS DONT STOP FAST SOME TIMES . ESPECIALY IF THERE JET PROPELD NO PROP DRAGING IN THE WATER . THEY DONT STEAR WELL EITHER WITH NO RUDDER OR OUT DRIVE .

I USED TO RUN A AN RACE A 18.5 FOOT SHORT RUNNER FLAT BOTTEM V DRIVE WITH ABOUT 900 HORSE POWER ON THE NITRIOUS ON THE 502 INCH CHEVY . I CAME CLOSE TO BLOWING IT OVER A COUPLE TIMES ALL I COULD SEE WAS CLOUDS AN TTHEN WHEN IT COMES DOWM AN OF FTHE THROTTLE IT GOES EVERY WHICH WAY BUT STRAIGHT. BRUSED MY RIBS SO BAD ONCE I THOUGHT I WA SGOING TO DIE . I HAD A PARACUTE TO SLOW ME DOWN IF I EVER GAME OUT OF THE BOAT . THAN GOD I NEVER USED IT

I RAN OVER 120 MPH A FEW TIMES . THE BOAT IS ONLY TOUCHING THE WATER BY A FEW INHES OF THE RUNNERS THE REST REALLY WAS REALLY FLYING AN YOU CONTOLED THE WHOLE THING WITH A TRIM PLATE AN YOUR LEFT FOOT ON A PEDAL.
    IT WAS ONE OF THE FEW TOYS IVE EVER HAD THAT SCARED ME EVERY TIME I RAN IT . EVEN WITH A STOCK 454 CHEV AN DOING 70 MPH IT WAS A DICEY AT SOME TIMES. THAT THING WOULD THROW YOU OFF THE OVER THE DASH IT STOPED SO FAST IF YOU JUST LET OFF THE GAS OR IF THE ENGINE OR DRIVE BROKE . THAT WAS FOLLOWED BY HALF THE LAKE COMING IN THE BACK AN SWAMPING IT FROM BACK WASH . I EVENTUALY INSTALLED A ONE WAY SPRAG ( WIRL AWAY ) WHEN I STARTED RUNNING IT FOR RECREATION AN STOPED RACING IT BEFORE IT KILLED ME.

ON THE OTHER HAND I HAD A COUPLE HOT JET BOATS THAT RAN ABOUT 70 MPH AN I CAN TELL YOU THAT IF SOMETHING BREAKS AN YOU LOOSE PUMP THRUST YOU HAVE ZERO CONTROL OF STOPPING OR STEARING AN WHAT EVER IS IN FRONT OF YOU IS IN TROUBLE.
    I SHEARED A SPLINED COUPLER GOING UP A RIVER IN A HARD TURN ABOUT 50 MPH AN PUT IT ABOUT 50 FEET ON A SAND BAR . IT JUST TUNED BACK STRAIGHT AN I HAD ZERO CONTROL . JUST MISSED A BANK AN TREES SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME AN MY GIRL FRINED. TOOK ALL DAY TO GET IT OFF THE SAND BAR BY AT LEAST 5 GUYS WITH BOATS. NOBODY COULD GET CLOSE TO IT BECAUSE OF THE SHALLOW WATER I COVERED BEFORE HITTING THE BAR. . BOATS DONT DRAG BACK WARDS TO WELL. WE HAD TO SPIN IT AROUND AN THEN PUSH AN PULL TO REFLOAT IT . I INSTALLED A RUDDER AN A JETAVATER SET UP AFTER I FIXED IT. WITH THE RUDDER IT AT LEAST GAVE ME STEARING WHEN I LET OFF THE GAS OR SOME THING BROKE.

I HAVE SEEN A FEW JET SKI ACCIDENTS WERE PEOPLE PANIC AN LET OFF THE GAS AN LOOSE STEARING AN CANT TURN .

IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE WHAT THE BOAT THAT HIT THE ISLAND LOOKED LIKE ????

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

sounds like an episode from the "A" team!---

Feedback Score

600 ponies 10:30 @ nite 250' upland...

Sounds like it was fast!
    God so loved the world He gave his only Son...
    ...Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

Feedback Score

Sounds like it was stoopid
    Hunter

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Sound's more like a delivery run to me,, I'm sure it was flying cause of the cargo,,,,, perhaps??? Maybe the driver was sampling his wares?? Duno?

I've had a few adventures in my days too. Launched a 10' 3 point hydroplane with a highly modified 25 Merc on it,,off into the woods on Otter Creek after hitting a cruiser wake at about 50+ on a corner,, in a 10' boat! In a boat that small things like that, can make things get squirrely,, real fast!!! Even a ripple could be treacherous with that damn thing! It was only rated for a 10hp after all,, but I've always been a firm believer that more HP is better. Believe it or not I could get nearly 65 straight line out of that little shit,, it was scarry fast. That last adventure was the end of that, it hit a tree at about 10 ft off the ground and splintered into a million pieces.

My 225 Ranger with a 300 on it was a bit of a hand full too, I had a few close calls with that beast too. That was a 93mph boat and seemed to be as squirrely as the hydroplane at times. With all the torque it had,, it had a nasty habit of liking to chine walk at about 90,, NOT GOOD,, when that happens!!!

One of our dockers at the marina, and a friend of mine for years has a turbine powered boat that's a blast. I've been in that one at over 125 before and that had me doing a white knuckle death grip on the dash,, I don't even know how fast that bitch will go,,, but faster than what we were doing that day so I hear,, I was all good with the 125 though,that's wicked fast on the water!! I'll see if I can find a pic of that one,, I think I got one here someplace. It belongs to one of the local car dealers that just has all the toys, hot rods, boats, stock cars. He's a big friggin kid I tell ya!

He has a pulling tractor with 4 turbines on it too. Bastard has all the toys!!!

I couldn't find a pic of the boat , but here's his pulling rig,, it has 4 PT6 jet engines putting out 12,000 HP,, that should work for a ride around the block,,, or plowing the south 40!! Quickly!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails State looking into airborne boat crash in Key Largo-gardner-stone1.jpg  

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I've never seen a heavy Ranger that would break 80. I'd like to ride in yours someday if I ever get down that way. I have a 20' Shadow tunnel with a 2.5 offshore Merc pushing 280 @8800 rpm that just does 96, and it only weighs 900 lbs.
    .223 adapter instructions
    www.christcorp.com/renegadeadapter.pdf

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Boat fire..

Driving by the public boat launch just south of here.. Smoke rising farther south on the river..
    Local Fire Dept. can not get their boat started.
    One of you guys need a lift? Yeah sure.. O.K. get in..
    Now the boat I had was some young fellers boat they left here and let me use.
    A 10ft skate board with a 75 h.p. on it.. When you matted it, only the prop was in the water..
    Driving through the no wake zone going slow..
    "I am a Fireman, will you mat this thing?"
    Hang on Son..
    "We going to friggen die." AHHHHHHHHHHHHaaaaa..
    Get too the boat, so hot we could not get near it.. We tried, almost melted our skin. Nobody aboard, thank God.. They had swum too shore..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.