Gunco Forums banner

GSG 1911-22

3K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  Tommo 
#1 ·
GSG 1911-22 does anyone own one off these and if so how good are they?
I'm looking for one to buy for my sons birthday any online places that have them at a good price?

THANKS FOR ANY REPLYS

#2 ·
Can't help with the where to find one part, haven't kept an eye on them.

The couple of "down sides" I can think of;
Mags are expensive at $30-35 a piece, but they are well made, and you shouldn't really need more then two.
You need to remove a screw to take the slide off.
Early models had a diecast barrel bushing, they are known to fail, but they did fix it with a steel piece and will replace it if you happen to get one with the lower quality part.

Other then that they a well made and are the same size as real 1911.
I got mine late last summer and ran about 500 rounds through it without any problems, a couple others I know got them too (shooting their's made me buy mine) and haven't had any problems, one guy used his hard for a while without any issues.

So I'd say yes buy one

#3 ·
Thanks Coils everything you said is what I've heard and researched just have to find the best place to get one I can find Sig 1911-22 and as I understand it they are the same gun just marked SIG so I may go that route.

#4 ·
Your welcome
I never looked at the Sig but heard the same thing, and it makes sense, one company makes it and another pays them to put their name on it.
Now don't get the Sig Mosquito, (just saying it because Sig is mentioned) I don't think I've seen one of those work right yet

#5 ·
I have a walther .22 it functions great but the accuracy sucks I really expected more from it but maybe I haven't found the right brand of ammo it will work with best. I was looking at the little Ruger 22 pistol also it looks a lot like the Walther but I'v watched severl video of guys shooting it and it seem to have outstanding accuracy. I have a Ruger MKII with a 5 1/2 Heavy barrel that shoots like a rifle. I wish ruger made a 45 type 22 I buy it.

#6 · (Edited)
I have had one for 2 years last month with about 15K rounds through it, and not a single issue so far, it runs really well on the bulk pack 36gr ammo. Very accurate and load of fun to shoot. I would recommend it to anyone, many of the parts can be swapped for 1911 aftermarket ones as a direct replacement .

Attachments

#7 ·
I think it looks better than my springfield 45

#9 ·
o.d. What's the problem with the Mosquito? I got one for my younger grandson. He's run about 1500 rounds through it with no problem. I had to get the Mosquito as he's got small hands, even for a 9 year old. His older brother however is 11 and shoots a HiPower with no problem.
If the Mosquito goes down, what other .22 auto will fit his hands that doesn't look like a toy
Hunter

#14 ·
o.d. What's the problem with the Mosquito?
OD & Hunter I've seen a lot of these at the range I go to, and only one ran well with only two brands of ammo, all but that one had feeding issues. And only that one guy kept his, everyone else sold or traded them in for something else.
As far as i can tell it seems like on mine the extractor has been wearing out and is now out of spec as it won't hardly hold onto the rim of the cartridge anymore.

I called Sig a couple of years back to see if they would send/sell me a new extractor but they just told me to send the gun back and wouldn't provide any single parts. Since the gun was out of warranty and they wouldn't quote me a price on the work until they looked at it i declined because it seemed foolish to throw money at a $250 pistol that i honestly pretty much had gotten my money out of, I ran it hard for thousands or rounds before it started messing up.

Disposable gun IMO.

#10 ·
Hey hunter I have the Walther 22 it runs ok and the grip is smallish I'v put about 500 rounds thru mine the accuracy isn't what I think it should be but
that could be me..lol I have heard good things about the ruger sr 22
and you can't go wrong with a ruger MKI II III IMO

#12 ·
Olcoot
Thanks for the report on yours, makes me feel better knowing at least one person has put thousands of rounds through one of these and it still works.

The Ruger SR22 is kind of a copy of the Walther 22 (to me it is), I only got to hold one of the Ruger's but fire two or three of the Walthers and I think they are decent pistols, if you have small hands check both of these out.

I have a Ruger MKII with a 5 1/2 Heavy barrel that shoots like a rifle. I wish ruger made a 45 type 22 I buy it.
The closest they got right now is the MKII & MKIII 22/45, it feel close to how a 1911 feels in your hand. Even the mag release, slide release and safety are close to the same locations as a 1911. If you get one with the 5" to 6" bull barrel it's about the same weight too.

o.d. What's the problem with the Mosquito?
OD & Hunter I've seen a lot of these at the range I go to, and only one ran well with only two brands of ammo, all but that one had feeding issues. And only that one guy kept his, everyone else sold or traded them in for something else.

#13 ·
I purchased 2 of the Mosquito's as Christmas presents for myself and my wife a few years back and they were both terrible. They would only function some what reliably with CCI mini Mags and even then would seldom run a full mag with some type of issue. The triggers were also awful. I purchased them because they were Sig's but would not recommend one to anyone else.

#17 ·
Well aim had them at a good price I should have jumped on it ghezzzz there gone already

#18 · (Edited)
OK I went to the sportsman's warehouse today and bought two SIG 1911-22
with sequential serial numbers $299.00 each that was the cheapest I could find them and I had three Sportsman's warehouse gift cards!!!
Here is one picture with My Springfield 45 No the bad news no one has .22 ammo right now this is getting frustrating. I think the finish is really nice
only comes with one magazine though.

Attachments

#19 ·
My GSG 1911/22 has been outstanding. Downside is the single mag and the billboard of text on the side of the gun. The SIG has a bit nicer set of cosmetics but still a lot of text. Another downside is that these are imported via New York.

Their competitor is the Walther-built Colt-marked 1911/22s from Umarex of Arkansas. Mags are harder to find, but cosmetics are awesome.

Knowing what I know now, I'd get the Umarex "Colt" as it is cosmetically nicer and is not sold via New York.

#21 ·
Thanks Coils, AND YEAH I can't believe all the 22 ammo is out I mean it doesn't fit in my "Assault" rifles ok ok it fits my sons AR he has a 22 conversion but Gheez.

#23 ·
only place that had any in my area was the Gun Smith shop $29.00 for 500 rounds of Remington and 30.00 for a box of 500 Federal premiums I don't remember ever paying that much for 22 ever.

#27 ·
Those are nice looking Fritz kind spendy I got 2 SIG 1911-22 for the price of one of those $299.00 each. I am going to the range today and will update on performance. :)

#28 ·
Went to the range today with my son and grandson busy breaking in my sons AR-15 22 adapter damn it needed to be shot a lot. I did shoot six mags thru the Sig 1911-22 and it really liked the Remington ammo and the Federal Ammo worked and fed great it did not like the American eagle 22 I had on hand at all was lucky to get off to shots before it jammed. Didn't get it on paper yet but was able to hit my sons metal swinging target at about 30 yards with regular consistency again it can probably shoot better than I can.
Will try again when the weather is a lot nicer 30 degrees with a slight but cold wind in our faces today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.