Gunco Forums banner

Time Flies...

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Tommo 
#1 ·
Nothing crazy, just thinking back...About 10 years ago this month I was walking into a recruiters office in Medford, OR.

I remember my fun days as a care-free (ha-ha-ha) PFC. Learning how the fleet worked, and what pisses off NCOs. Pinned LCpl in July 2004 in the middle of the Meditteranean Sea.

Broke a few rules as a LCpl, mostly alcohol related stupidity (drinking while waxing the decks in the CP afterhours. Floor wax is better than a slip-n-slide. Participated in OIF II. Never thought I would see Corporal.

Pinned Corporal in October 2005 in South Carolina.

Got Married as a Corporal. Just moving along. Sergeant was for career people, I'll never see it.

Pinned Sgt in November 2006 at Osan Air Base, South Korea.

Sgt was a fun rank. Never dreamed of moving up the rank ladder. Went back to Iraq of OIF 07-09. Came back, once dwell was up, went to Japan on a UDP/WestPac.

Pinned Staff Sergeant in July 2009 in Kuantan, Malaysia.

Moved from 29 Palms, to Camp Pendleton. Went here and there, etc. Same thing. This will be as far as I advance. But hey im ok with it. SSgt aint a bad rank to be. Still in a little of both worlds. Draw-downs, cut-backs, etc. No room for an 0431 to become an 0491. Or so I thought.

Thusly, you are all cordially invited (in spirit) to my pinning of Gunnery Sergeant this Friday, March 1st. Holy hell. Hope I survive the wet down.

Semper Fi.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah good luck with that wet down. I got selected to SSgt this past August so now it is a waiting game for me. I was surprised I even came up selected becasue I pinned on Sgt in 2009. Apparently someone up in HQMC thinks I'm doing good things. It was my first year in zone so I was definitely surprised.

I would be there if I was still out in Pendleton for sure. But I had to give up all the fun stuff and come out here to Florida and ride a desk for a little bit.

Congrats on the promotion and in your honor I'm going to go buy new gun. That's how I like to celebrate. Ill have a few for you though brother.

Semper Fi.

Just think how you will feel when MSgt comes your way. Unless you are looking at 1st Sgt and if that's the case I don't think we can talk anymore :lol: :lol: :lol:

#5 ·
OH OH OH!!!!

I WANT AN INVITE!!!!!

Nuthin in this world is better than Pinning New Stripes! Especially on one of the Misguided Children!!!!

Send me an ADDRESS!!!!!~!:scared:

#9 ·
Really? I always understood 'petty' to mean "small and insignificant"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#8 ·
Just in case you guys don't know the Marine Corps Enlisted Rank Structure...

Attachments

#10 ·
Congrats,, I only made E-5, and ended up ETS-ing as a spec 4 due to a paperwork snafu, I never got travel orders to report to Texas to ETS, till 3 weeks after my report date. Then when I got there we bumbed around for 6 weeks waiting for more paperwork to arive. I had to call to find out what was up after my 30 day leave after Nam and still no orders. So when I did get there, to Texas, they busted me down a rank,,,,,Nice,,,,, that's the main reason I didn't re-up. It must have been my fault I guess??

None the less in < 3 years I got up to E-5 and came home with a bronze star,,, somehow no CIB or Purple Heart , but,,,, was just another typical Nam era ,,,snafu, typical, it happened to several other guys in our unit too.

But I digress,, Congrats again and we are all proud of you!!!! Semper Fi brother.

#11 ·
Gunny Posthumous, has a nice ring to it. I loved being an NCO. I had a nightmare once, I was standing on the tailgate of a duece and a half, and before me was an endless field of spc4's, all of them with a blank look on their faces. They were all looking at me,saying "How do I do this, were do I get that, teach me to pee...

#12 ·
Posthumous, that's freaking awesome brother!!!!! Crap, I was a Lcpl. when I got out in 1984. Shoulda stayed in and got rid of my wife. Instead I got out and kept the bitch. After how bad I was hurt after PFC and Lcpl pinning, I woulda been scared to get a blood stripe pinned on as an NCO. Not sure how bad they do it nowadays, but in my time you usually had to seek medical attention the pinning was so bad. I was thinking they had outlawed that because someone died from a blood clot caused by pinning? Oh well, any rate, CONGRATULATIONS MARINE!!!!! Ooohhhrrraahhh!!!!!!!

#13 ·
Remember those metal collar chevrons being pushed in without the backings on them too.

'grats gunny.

#14 ·
Thanks for your service Mr. Posthumous. Do you still call Medford, Oregon your home? That's where I live. I came here in 1955. And, I plan to live the rest of my days here. I love this area. I hope that when your military career is over you can retire to this area if that's what you want to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.