Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another Travesty

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Default Another Travesty

About 2 years ago a situation near me in Spartanburg S.C. made national news, in part because of the Sheriff, Chuck Wright. (VERY pro 2A) Any rate a gentleman and his wife are IIRC asleep in bed and two masked men with guns come in through the window. The home owner grabs his wife's gun and shoots and kills both intruders. The Sheriff's Department investigates, and calls it a clean shooting, except for one problem. The home owner is an ex-con, who is not legally allowe to purchase, own, or handle a firearm, nor is one allowed to be in his residence, even if it's not his. Well from the story I'm getting from fellow at work who knows the shooters brother, the state and local LEO's weren't going to charge him at all, but the victim's families complained to the feds, so he was charged by them. He is headed to prison for 6 1/2 years for this. I don't know exactly what the charge is, but they kind of forced him into a plea deal. Said he was looking at 18 years if a jury trial didn't go his way. Personally I think if he could have gotten a decent lawyer, he should have taken it to trial. With the right jury I would think that there would have been a good chance of winning. It's just bullsh*t to me that someone is no longer allowed to defend his family and home with a firearm, just because they did something stupid years ago. I guess it's situation dependent, but I feel like ex-cons should be able to go back to the court after say 10 years of keeping their nose clean, and have their 2nd Amendment rights reinstated. Sorry, just venting. I hate it when doing the "right" thing is not necessarily the "legal" thing.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

When you have served your time, you

have served your time. You don't loose

any other right, remember, this is a God

given Right. Not a Gov't given Right.

You can bounce a check get a DUI and

in some cases a speeding ticket and the

Second is gone for you but you still have

All the rest BS. JMHO

Feedback Score

You also lose your right to vote, but after this last election I didn't here of any of those ex-cons in Ohio that had voted for the "O" being charged with anything...
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?" -Thomas Jefferson-

"Our rights come from our humanity and may not be legislated away -- not by a vote of Congress, not by the consensus of our neighbors, not even by agreement of all Americans but one." Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Feedback Score

If he did the right thing, isn't that worth a very high price, especially where harm to loved ones is concerned?

I can't imagine any ex-con not petitioning for their rights after they have served their time. There is a mechanism in place for this. It can be done. It should be done.

Even so, I also can't imagine an ex-con not finding at least a black powder revolver to serve HD duty in the interim. Those are not "guns".

Sounds pretty crappy to me. Hope it ends well for him.

Feedback Score

I had a friend who was an ex-con. He totally served his time, but he was considered a convict and had no rights until he applied to the governor who then "forgave his crime. Then he got all his right s back.

Feedback Score

should have went to trial with jury. he probably would have won.

Feedback Score

you know i miss the old saying its the spirit of the law not the letter of the law thats important. he shouldnt have been charged we all agree .

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

That is self defense and defense of others.

It should not matter if he used his hands and feet, a ball point pen or a fire arm.

No man has rightful cause or legitimate authority to strip another man of his God given right to defend himself or his family.

He should have gotten a good lawyer and went to trial as 2nd stated.

Put ME on the jury, I understand the true role of the juror is to judge the law as well as the facts.

In his case, the law is flawed.

Feedback Score

Let's see do you want to take the chance

18 years ~ 6 years. Do you also have $20,000

To pay for a very good lawyer? Sucks but they

Set it up as to where you don't have a chance

A guy down the road had a box of junk, that

Had been his Grandfathers, his girlfriend was

Pissed at him and called the law and said he

Was making meth. Cops show up find no evidence

Of making drugs but find box of junk with two or

Three old .22 shells in it. So it was off to prison

For him. Oh he got a good lawyer and I think

He has 12 more years left on his sentence

There is no wiggle room with the Feds

It did not matter that he didn't know that

He had the bullets. You take the Feds deal

Or they will make an example of you

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Not so sure I can agree on this one guys,,,,

But it depends on the original offense, I suppose,,,with a violent crime,, Hell no,, no rights back,,, some non violent offense,,,,OK then they deserve a break IMO. People make bad judgements everyday,, it's human nature and none of us are perfect.

I'm not really sure I'd want to depend on the courts to make that decision though,,, from what I've seen around here lately,,, there pretty fucked up. It's not about what's just and right,, it seems, just what's expedient or politically correct at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.