Gunco Forums banner

This Is Why I Love Wyoming - Wyoming politician tells constituent to leave state

872 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  XSapper 
#1 ·
Wyoming politician tells constituent to leave state

Wyoming state Representative Hans Hunt told one resident, “by all means, leave.”

Get out of here.

That was one Wyoming state representative’s message to a resident who contacted him recently stating her opposition to a bill that would have allowed people with concealed carry permits to carry guns in public schools, colleges and sporting events.

Rev. Audette Fulbright had emailed all state legislators, including Republican Rep. Hans Hunt, earlier this month to say she and her husband had just moved to Wyoming and were “seriously reconsidering” their decision amid the proposed expansion of gun laws.

“Ample evidence has shown that schools and guns do not mix, and in particular, guns in the hands of amateurs/non-professionals is extremely dangerous, especially in any highly-charged situation,” Fulbright wrote. “To expose our children to greater risk in their schools by encouraging more guns on campuses is something that we cannot allow.”

Fulbright also said she was concerned about “the profoundly serious dangers of fracking” and said the question of whether to leave was “wrenching to all of us.”

“I know of other new-to-Wyoming families in similar contemplation. Your choices matter. It would be sad to see an exodus of educated, childrearing age adults from Wyoming as a result of poor lawmaking,” she wrote.

Hunt’s response? “By all means, leave.”

“I’ll be blunt,” he wrote back. “If you don’t like the political atmosphere of Wyoming, then by all means, leave. We, who have been here a very long time (I am proudly 4th generation) are quite proud of our independent heritage.”

Fulbright is not one of Hunt’s constituents, but he was one of just two lawmakers who responded to her letter. The other, state Rep. Mary Throne (D), said the bill had moved to committee and to contact committee members. It has since been shot down by legislators.

Fulbright told the Casper Star-Tribune her family moved from Virginia in July to have access to better schools and a beautiful environment.

“Apparently I have to live here a certain amount of time before I have an opinion,” she told the newspaper.

Hunt, who was the youngest member of the Wyoming legislature when he was elected in 2010 didn’t back down from his response.

“Was it blunt? Yes. Would I apologize? No,” Hunt told the Star-Tribune. He said later: “If I had to do it again, would I sit and think about how to phrase my words more carefully?
Probably.”

Read the full correspondence below:

Fulbright’s email:

Dear Representative,

I hope you are taking care of yourself during this busy session. I know it is a challenging, compressed time.

I am writing to express my grave concern about House Bill 105. Ample evidence has shown that schools and guns do not mix, and in particular, guns in the hands of amateurs/non-professionals is extremely dangerous, especially in any highly-charged situation. to expose our children to greater risk in their schools by encouraging more guns on campuses is something that we cannot allow.

My husband and I moved to Wyoming not too long ago. We believed it was a good place to raise children. With the recent and reactive expansion of gun laws and the profoundly serious dangers of fracking, we find we are seriously reconsidering our decision, which is wrenching to all of us. However, the safety of our family must come first.

We are waiting to see what the legislature does this session. I know of other new-to-Wyoming families in similar contemplation. Your choices matter. It would be sad to see an exodus of educated, childrearing age adults from Wyoming as a result of poor lawmaking.
sincerely,

Rev. Audette Fulbright
Hunt’s response:

Rev. Fulbright,

I’ll be blunt. If you don’t like the political atmosphere of Wyoming, then by all means, leave. We, who have been here a very long time (I am proudly 4th generation) are quite proud of our independent heritage. I don’t expect a “mass exodus” from our state just because we’re standing up for our rights. As to your comments on fracking, I would point out that you’re basing your statement on “dangers” that have not been scientifically founded or proved as of yet.

It offends me to no end when liberal out-of-staters such as yourself move into Wyoming, trying to get away from where they came from, and then pompously demand that Wyoming conform to their way of thinking. We are, and will continue to be, a state which stands a head above the rest in terms of economic security. Our ability to do that is, in large part, to our “live and let live” mentality when it comes to allowing economic development, and limiting government oversight. So, to conclude, if you’re so worried about what our legislature is working on, then go back home.

Sincerely,

Hans Hunt
Representative Hans Hunt
House District 02

See less See more
#2 ·
Contact Info:

Go figure - the Rev is originally from South Carolina by way of Berkeley, Ca.

Representative Hans Hunt

Party: Republican
District: House District 02
Counties: Niobrara/Weston/Goshen
House: 2011-Present

Contact Information:
1347 Old Hwy 85
Newcastle WY 82701
Home - (307) 746-4063
Cell - (307) 746-8899
hans.hunt@wyoleg.gov
Occupation(s):
Rancher

The Rev. Audette Fulbright-Fulson

UU Church of Cheyenne
3005 Thomes Avenue
Cheyenne, Wyoming 82001

Mailing Address:
PO Box 2331
Cheyenne, Wyoming 82003-2331

Church Office: (307) 638-4554
Unitarian Universalist Church of Cheyenne - Front Page
uucc@uucheyenne.org
Fax: (307) 638-9033
Personnel

Minister Emeritus: The Rev. Robert L. Morriss
Minister Emerita: The Rev. Makanah E. Morriss
Minister UU(Called): The Rev. Audette Fulbright Fulson
Director of Religious Education: Sara Burlingame
RE Committee Chair: Kathy Jenkins
Church Administrator: Andrea Heater
Membership/Growth Chair: Camille Furtney
President/Chair: Lea Grubbs

Unitarian Universalist Church of Cheyenne - Special Congregational

Announcements:

www.uucheyenne.orgThe Ministerial Search Committee is very excited to introduce our candidate. Hailing originally from South Carolina by way of Berkeley, CA, Asheville, NC, and Roanoke, VA, the Rev. Audette Fulbright Fulson is in her 12th year of Unitarian Universalist ministry.

#3 ·
Yeah S.C. threw her Libtard ass out!!!!!!!!!!!! Berkley, duh! Asheville, double duh!!!!! I don't know alot about Roanoke but it may be liberal as well. Asheville is my hometown, and my wife's family still lives there. It has been called "The San Fransisco of the East" in more than one publication, including Outside Magazine. What used to be hard working middle and lower class farmers, has given way to the artsy fartsy, liberal, and gay communities. It's one of the most beautiful town you've ever seen, yet it makes me sick everytime I drive up there. Definitely NOT the Asheville of my youth.

Well back on topic, keep the bitch out there in Wyoming, cause we don't want her ass back in N.C. or S.C. !!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 ·
You know she moved out there from out West... You know it...

#9 ·
Congratulations to Hans Hunt! Similiar thing happened in VT. They all move from a place that is all f-ed up to get away from it and start trying to make the new place just like it. If you're the new guy you assimilate to the people already there, not them to you.

#10 ·
Wait are we talking about Americans or Immigrants??? :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.