Thread: I Did Not Know This

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default I Did Not Know This

A chaplain, who happened to be assigned to the Pentagon, told of an incident that happened right after Flight 77 hit the Pentagon on 9/11.

A daycare facility inside the Pentagon had many children, including infants who were in heavy cribs. The daycare supervisor, looking at all the children they needed to evacuate, was in a panic over what they could do. There were many children, mostly toddlers, as well as the infants that would need to be taken out with the
    cribs. There was no time to try to bundle them into carriers and strollers.

Just then a young Marine came running into the center and asked what they needed. After hearing what the center director was trying to do, he ran back out into the hallway and disappeared. The director thought, "Well, here we are, on our own."

About 2 minutes later, that Marine returned with 40 other Marines in tow. Each of them grabbed a crib with a child, and the rest started gathering up toddlers. The director and her staff then helped them take all the children out of the center and down toward the park near the Potomac. Once they got about 3/4 of a mile outside the building, the Marines stopped in the park, and then did a fabulous thing - they formed a circle with the cribs, which were quite sturdy and heavy, like the
    covered wagons in the Old West. Inside this circle of cribs, they put the toddlers, to keep them from wandering off. Outside this circle were the 40 Marines, forming a perimeter around the children and waiting for instructions. There they remained until the parents could be notified and come get their children.

The chaplain then said, "I don't think any of us saw nor heard of this on any of the news stories of the day. It was an incredible story of our men there.” There wasn't a dry eye in the room. The thought of those Marines and what they did and how fast they reacted; could we expect any less from them? It was one of the most touching stories from the Pentagon.

It's the Military, not the politicians that ensures our right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It's the Military who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag.

If you care to offer the smallest token of recognition and appreciation for the military, please pass this on and pray for our men and women, who have served and are currently serving our country, and pray for those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for freedom.

GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY

Feedback Score

It's good to see something positive in these days when all we see lies and depression.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

That's a great story Tommo. It makes me proud as ever of my time in the Corps.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

SOUNDS REALLY GREAT IF IT HAPPENED . IT ALSO SOUNDS LIKE ONE OF THE EMAILS MY MOM SENDS ME EVERY WEEK . I HOPE THIS STORY IS TRUE.

PERSOANLY ID HAVE FILELD THE CRIB FULL OF TODDLERS AN BABIES RATHR THAN HAVING ONE PER CRIB AN GOT THEM INTO A VAN OR CAR.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The friend who sent it to me checks out everything and he does not use Snopes. He is always giving me crap about the stuff I forward to him that does not!

Feedback Score

Default Re " The Corps

Hello Tommo,
    Im glad to see that for once that my brothers & sisters in the Big Green Machine are reconized for something, other than the bashing the corps takes for a lone marine that cracks up, and decides to go on a rampage,
    Im glad to hear that our brothers & sisters came out in a positive light for once. I do hoe they all recieve comendations for thier actions of heroism and bravery and any other Citations and medals
    that they may be able to receive for thier excellent conduct! and these people Know what it intails to be a United States Marine!

Semper Fi
    My Brothers & Sisters
    your actions make ever living Marine proud to be your
    Brother & Sister, remember We are a family no-matter,
    Your age, your experence, or duty station or M.O.S. your
    acts of heroism & bravery should not go unrewarded, I myself
    will contact the DOD and demand that your unit be cited for
    actions above and beyond the call of duty,As you deserve
    Our Prayers are with you and please come home safe & Healthy

My Best reguards Doc, Sgt. USMC MFM, and Marice Expiditionary forces & the Tenth Mountain Divison Unites State Army Res ret.
    Gods Speed ,,,Doc

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

HMMMM I WASNET THERE BUT SNOOPS ( I DONT ALWAY STRUST THEM ) SAYS IS BS

snopes.com: Pentagon Daycare Corral

THIS STORY DESCRIBES THE EVACUATION an no mention of 40 marines an a circle the cribs scene. you would think while there paying tribute the marines would be mentioned??????????

I was not here but I have seen the emils an story a few times.

Child Development Center pays tribute to 9/11 mothers
    by Rhonda Apple, Pentagram Staff WriterChild care provider Helen Cutchin pays tribute to all mothers who died on 9/11 as she places a flower on a table at the Cody Child Development Center annex during a Sept. 12 ceremony.
    Photo By Rhonda Apple
    Child care provider Helen Cutchin pays tribute to all mothers who died on 9/11 as she places a flower on a table at the Cody Child Development Center annex during a Sept. 12 ceremony.

Close Window Child care provider Helen Cutchin pays tribute to all mothers who died on 9/11 as she places a flower on a table at the Cody Child Development Center annex during a Sept. 12 ceremony.More News
    Army Career and Alumni program continues to serve transitioning SoldiersCareer achievementAssistant commandant of Marine Corps visits Marine Corps Logistics CommandChilean Chief of the Joint Staff visits JFHQ-NCR/MDWAn enduring service to a solemn missionadvertisement
    Child care providers and staff at Cody Child Development Center Annex on Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall paid a special tribute Sept. 12, to the mothers who went to work on Sept. 11, 2001 and never returned home to their Families.

Held in the reception area of the center, located beside Fort Myer’s Memorial Chapel, the brief tribute was held without speeches or fanfare, however, the emotions of the 10th anniversary of the tragic attack on America, which included the hijacking of Flight 77 crashing into the Pentagon, spoke volumes.

A small table draped with a white tablecloth, candles and a framed poem “A Mother’s Love” was the centerpiece for the event. At the exact moment the plane crashed into the Pentagon 10 years and one day ago, the women stood for a moment of silence, reflecting on the tragic loss of all lives lost that day, but particularly those of the mothers who worked in the nerve center of our nation’s capital.

Led by Helen Cutchin, who worked at the Pentagon Child Development Center for about eight years prior to the 9/11 attack, and currently serves as assistant staff provider for children ages 2-3 years old at the JBM-HH annex day care, each staff member placed a fresh flower on the table in tribute to those mothers who perished 10 years ago.

“I was at work on 9/11, coming out of the Pentagon with another provider and a parent of one of the children the Pentagon’s center,” she said. “We had to evacuate the building, which was located outside the Pentagon, but too close to the scene of the crash for safety.”

The entire Pentagon child care staff immediately vacated their building and moved to a wooded area, with about 130 infants and children in tow, Cutchin recalled. “We were moved to an under pass near the George Washington Bridge for safety reasons.”

The providers told the children they were going on a field trip, said Cutchin. “We left without any supplies — no diapers, baby formula, food or juice,” she said.

A bus was sent over to the area where the children were taken. “People passing by saw us waiting there and returned with necessary supplies for us to take care of the children,” Cutchin said.

“After a few hours, we were moved to Henderson Hall and eventually parents were able to reunite with their children,” she added.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

this guy was at the day care when it was hit an helped evacuate it.

United States Department of Defense United States Department of Defense

Top Links
    Subscribe
    Twitter

AFPS Blogs

Facebook

Flickr

RSS

Podcasts

Widgets

Secretary of Defense
    Speeches

Biography

Press
    Today in DoD

News Releases

Press Advisories

Publications

Transcripts

Photos
    Imagery Archive

Highlights

Photo Essays

Week in Photos

DoD Info
    Post 9/11 GI Bill
    Transferability

Community Relations

Stars & Stripes

Recovery Act

Site Map

News
    American Forces Press ServiceBookmark and Share
    E-Mail A Copy | Printer Friendly | Latest News News Article Face of Defense: Guardsman Recalls Twist That Saved Him on 9/11
    By Army Sgt. S. Patrick McCollum
    Special to American Forces Press Service

ARLINGTON, Va., Sept. 11, 2008 – Seven years ago today, Army Col. William Stoppel dropped his 9-month-old son, Will, at day care and went to work.

“It was my son’s first day at Pentagon day care,” Stoppel said. “I came in early, got him situated and went in to the office.”

The day happened to be Sept. 11, 2001. Stoppel was assigned to the Army’s personnel office, where he processed promotion packets.

When Stoppel got to his office, he borrowed some socks from Chief Warrant Officer William Ruth of the Maryland National Guard, talked to newly engaged Medical Service Corps officer Lt. Col. Karen Wagner and made light conversation with soldiers like Col. Canfield “Bud” Boone from the Indiana Army National Guard.

“I walked in that morning with Bud Boone,” Stoppel said, recalling the conversation he had with him about a picnic they both attended. “I kind of joked with him about being an Olympian, because he played in every sport they offered that day. And for an ‘old guy,’ he was actually a pretty good athlete.”

After the morning staff meeting, rumors flew that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. Office staff flocked to televisions to get confirmation.

Something wasn’t right, Stoppel recalled, but he didn’t know what it was. He decided to check on his son at the day care center. At the same time, he would go for his morning jog a little early -- an unusual change for such a schedule-oriented person.

“Ordinarily, I would always run at 11,” he said. “What made me change my schedule? Why did I leave at 9:20 instead of 11?”

At the day care center, Stoppel talked to a provider about Will’s first day. At about 9:37 a.m., American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into the southwest corner of the Pentagon.

“I felt the earth shake,” he said. “That was kind of strange. I walked outside, and I saw some smoke coming up. At that time, [the provider] got the call that it’s time to evacuate the day care center.”

Stoppel, the provider and the children moved to a nearby park without hearing another word. They tried to keep the children and each other calm, even after hearing that another plane was on its way.

Later, after getting home, he called around to check on his co-workers with no notion that his office in the inner ring of the Pentagon had taken a direct hit. He called Dave Scales, the man with whom he shared a cubicle. He talked to Wagner’s fiancée, who hadn’t heard anything.

After hours of calling, Stoppel finally received the dreaded news. “About 9:30 that night, I get a call from Colonel Charlie Baldwin, who was the chief of the Army National Guard Readiness Program at the time,” Stoppel said. “He said, ‘We thought you were dead.’”

The next day, the seven remaining members of the office met to discuss what happened. Some had survived and were in the hospital. Some, like Scales, had died immediately from the blast. Others, like Wagner and Ruth, died of smoke inhalation while trying to escape the wreckage. Boone, the “Olympic” athlete with whom Stoppel had joked, also was dead.

The visit brought questions that Stoppel still asks today -- the eternal issues of those who survive a tragedy.

“Had I been there, would I have been able to pick [someone] up and carry them off?” he wondered. “I don’t know. Had I been sitting at my desk with Dave Scales, I probably would have just died in the initial blast. Why did I live and they didn’t? I don’t know.”

The attack killed 184 innocent people, 125 inside the Pentagon.

The office was a close-knit unit – a family united by a common mission. The survivors attended many funerals, and ultimately decided to put their grief behind them by not letting the tragedy interrupt their work.

“The best way that we could honor the people who died in our office was to keep going,” Stoppel said. “So we made sure no [promotion] board actions died … [or] were affected by 9/11. We just kept going.”

Will Stoppel will be 8 years old Dec. 27. He may never fully understand what he did for his father that day.
    His father, however, will never forget.

“Every morning when I wake up my son and hug him, I know that if not for him I’d be dead,” he said.

(Army Sgt. S. Patrick McCollum serves at the National Guard Bureau.)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

My friend says Snopes is full of crap, but I do not know.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.