Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: does "wild blue" internet stink?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking does "wild blue" internet stink?

man i am way out in the boonies and i have to pay $30 a month for DIAL-UP. even worse i don't even get the 56k-- more like 17-26k at best.

now i get a flyer through the mail saying i can hook up with "wild blue"for $39.99 a month and get reasonable speed connections.

so i google 'wild blue" and get people saying 'wild blue" is a rip-off , con-job and all kinds of problems with their service or lack of service.

i have no experience with them--are they really that bad?

Feedback Score

Do you get 3 or 4G where you live?
    You could set a "hot spot" up with your phone for less than 40 clams a month.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by weldingmachine View Post
    Do you get 3 or 4G where you live?
    You could set a "hot spot" up with your phone for less than 40 clams a month.

hell no- i can't even get ONE bar on the cell--LOL!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Buddy of mine had hughesnet which is a competing sat internet service and it was ok, kind of like really fast dial up where it took a bit for pages to load (since the signal has to travel out to space, back to earth and then through the internet and back). Once you start getting the data stream it was pretty fast ~200k download IIRC.

That was a few years ago though. It was spotty during bad weather like sat tv can be and expensive to start (had to buy the equipment which was like $500-600).

If you decide to try it make sure they don't have any early termination penalties or equipment to buy cause if it does suck you don't want get hosed trying to dump them or stuck with useless equipment.

Feedback Score

j427x,

I had WildBlue and to be honest it is faster than dial-up BUT it is unreliable at best. I had outages from "Storm activity" even when the skies were blue for as far as I could see. When I called to inquire why there was an outage I was told well there is a thunderstorm in Quebec blocking the satelite. It began to happen so much that my wife and I joked that a bird must have flown in between the dish and the satelite. I now have DSL and it is fast and VERY reliable.

If it is your only choice it is better than dial-up, but be prepared for outages.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

YES, IT DOES SUCK! When we canciled it after less than a month, we had a useable signal for less than half of the time. That was in the fall with no real big storms or anything, although any rain, hard wind, or I swear even a bird flying by would cause us to lose our signal. When I called them to cancil I suggest that they change the name to "Clear Blue" because the only time it really worked was when the sky was clear and blue.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    YES, IT DOES SUCK! When we canciled it after less than a month, we had a useable signal for less than half of the time. That was in the fall with no real big storms or anything, although any rain, hard wind, or I swear even a bird flying by would cause us to lose our signal. When I called them to cancil I suggest that they change the name to "Clear Blue" because the only time it really worked was when the sky was clear and blue.

that is kind of what i was thinking about them -- i think i'll steer clear of them--

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    hell no- i can't even get ONE bar on the cell--LOL!
    Now that sounds peaceful

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Ouch! This is one reason why I have difficulty deciding where to move to from Kalifornia! I have to have Internet in order to work. And it get's even more complex than that.....I'll spare you the details. Just know that in So. Kalifornia, I pay more than $290 per month for the service that I have which is adequate, but not outstanding.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

most of the towns of any size have DSL. so it ain't like the state don't have reasonably fast ISPs.

you got to remember i live way the hell out in the bear/deer woods.

think like where your hunting lodge is and they you got the idea.

if i lived 12 miles closer to the highway hell i could get DSL for $12 a month--LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.