Gunco Forums banner

Another emergency food idea

2K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  7.62x39 
#1 ·
the wife and I eat lots of pasta me whole wheat now
we saw an ad over christmas for Spatini dried spaghetti causce, which when we were kids mid 60's our folks made all the time, only now they only make it very large packs not the small ones, so we decided to pass

today on the forums I saw this and ordered some for when i am on the run from the FEMA camp

Mama Lisa's Pasta Sauce,

can hurt to put alittle away, my only concern is self life but its powdered

#3 ·
This says it comes in a 4.4 oz. box. More than likely it would be in a sealed bag inside the box. If that's the case I'd throw the box away, throw their plastic bag away, pour it into a Food Saver bag, vacuum all the air out then store in 5 gal buckets. I have several powered foods stored this way and after 5 years powdered milk flour ect. is exactly the way it was when I packed it. Be sure to mark the date and the contents otherwise it becomes a mystery dinner.
Mama Lisa's Pasta Sauce

#5 ·
got a reply on shelf life

Shelf life is virtually unlimited. I had samples from my initial run
of product for five years, and tried them from time to time to check
for taste. Taste was fine at the five year mark. The only real problem
was that after that much time sitting, it did clump. There's only so
much you can do after that amount of time. But that's an aesthetic
issue. It doesn't bother me, but then again, it's my product.
Mama Lisa's Pasta Sauce (MLPS) is mixed and then put into a plastic
bag, the bag is heat sealed, and then placed in a cardboard carton.
Not the absolutely best, perfect to guard against UV lighting, which
degrades spices, but it does what it's designed to do.
If I may, why are you asking about shelf life? Maybe I can offer an
alternative idea. Always happy to help.

Best Regards,

Jerry Geleff
President
Mama Lisa's Pasta Sauce, Inc.
P.O. Box 13261
Reading, PA 19612
Phone: 610-207-0201

#7 ·
Yes. Good point. There is a market for #10 cans now days. A HUGE one. Makes me wonder if that might be what he was eluding to.

I've never tasted it. The wife cans our maters and makes her own sauce.

Do any local stores carry it yet, or is it only online? It would be nice to have as a grab and go for a day pack too for day hikes with the dog. I like the 'about us' story on their sight. It's the classic 'American boy creates his own business'.

#8 ·
They mentioned something about contacting them if you were ordering more than 6 pkg. Sounds like they might have some sort of a discount for volume. Group buy maybe?
If they offer a nice enough discount on a large order, we could put one together. I was thinking more on the pkg than the #10 can. I don't know what happens to the shelf life after it's open and a whole #10, is going to make a crap load of sauce.

Of course we'd need a couple of people to sample it first.

#14 ·
I did not ask for a deal, my main concern was self life. I am sure if i asked we could work a deal with him for volume. I don't want to run a group buy, but i am willing ask about volume purchase and discount on such volume and see what the answer is

another concern was taste, I am half sicilian 1st generation on my mother side, I know good sauce when i taste it. I wanted to try a packet and see how it tasted ( my taste would be much different from others) before I ordered more

we also can plum tomatoes cooked and processed into sauce its a family thing every year we do approx 350 mason jars so my interest in this is longterm self life

I will send off a price request and if its not a bargin or worth it then its ok with me

Attachments

#16 ·
Hay Coils this guy is just north of you???
I didn't notice that until you mentioned it, doh, they're 40 miles or less from me.

I'd like to try it first too before I'd deside on a large purchase.
I sent them an email to see if it's sold in any of the local stores, if it is I'll try to get some for this weekend.

#19 ·
I heard back from him. here's the deal.

"Price breaks start at 7%, and that kicks in at 15 cases. (12 units per case) After 30 cases, I can take off 12%. 50 cases and above, 15%. Each person would of course be responsible for the shipping on top of that price, but the shipping will be handled on a person to person basis. I do not mark up shipping. What it costs me, it costs the customer, and I have a pretty good UPS discount available to me, so a good shipping price is guaranteed"

We should be able to move at least 30 cases. That will give us a 12% discount.
I'll take at least one of each if it's any good. He is sending me one pkg of each to try. I'll keep you guys up to speed.

#20 ·
I just placed an order on the site so I can try it, I asked about local stores but he's only doing mail order (at least that's what he said in the reply). I replied back saying I was hoping to find it locally to try it this weekend before placing an order for a case, but never got a reply, was hoping he'd offer me a sample. :(

So if I like it I'll be in for one or two cases, hopefully you guys don't get in a rush to do the order.

#21 ·
So if I like it I'll be in for one or two cases, hopefully you guys don't get in a rush to do the order.
We'll allow ample time for anyone who is interested to get involved. I really hope this stuff is good. I've got a fair amount of pasta stored, it would be nice to have something to put on it. LOL
If we are going to vacuum seal it anyway, we also have the option of buying it in bulk, which would save us even more.

#22 ·
I am glad this is working out, we should also extend this offer to our friends over at WG as they have good enough to include us in there offers
I am in for a case or two if this stuff is good i will let you know when my small order comes in

#24 · (Edited)
ok I pm'd dutigaf we can post a group buy under a different catagory then group buy???

also i just receved my 6 boxes of tomato sauce, figures right after I had lunch, so I will cook up one packet for dinner tonight and let you all know how it taste and how easy it is to process ( make)

I will back after dinner

#25 ·
ok update, the product came in a plastic bag, in convient size boxes for storage repack in large zip lock ould last a longtime,

I prepared the sauce as directed, I served it with rigatoni, the taste was exceptable especially for camping, emergency foods, tasted better than I thought it would, not to acidic or watery
I should add its not what my mother or aunts would make, but they don't freeze dry it and reconsituted it.
I also ate the meal with no meat or sausage, this could also change the dynamic. I tried the spicy first , it was spicy enough that I did not need pepper flakes which i always use

I had two helpings so that is another indication and saved the leftovers for another meal maybe with sausage to see if it changes the favor

I think you will like it, not bad for just adding water, I would order a case if we did a group buy. it did remind me of Spatini ( circa 1960-70"s) instant sauce my mother would make when camping and long distance travelling

sprat the new food critic

#26 ·
Sprat the new Gunco food critic, I tip my hat someone had to take the first step into the beyond.:lol::thankyou:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.