Gunco Forums banner

Cell Phone Input

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  4thIDvet 
#1 ·
Any of you deal with Boost or Virgin?
How's the service?
And whatever else can be added.

I got Verizon right now, phone service is good to great, but I'm starting to get tired of their customer service and looking to switch to someone else that offers a little more for the same fees.
I mainly just use the phone, very little texting, and don't give a shit about internet access on a phone.

So any info will be helpful.

#2 ·
No experience personally with either of those two, but if you are not a heavy user and not need a 'family' plan I suggest you check into pre-paid plans. I use my phone rather infreq. and text one or two times a month. My annual bill is about $100 total.

Coverage on many is the same as AT&T or Verizon as several of them just buy access to these networks. Virgin and Boost use the Sprint network.

Check the coverage maps too, and ask a friend local to you how they think the service is too before making the jump. Check out a new one, Ting, as they let you select each option for voice/text/web seperately and basically fine-tune your plan to suit your usage. I've been considering AirVoice too, they have some ultra low rate plans, and get pretty great reviews. YMMV.

This wiki below is a great resource on comparing the various pre-paid plans for voice/text/web options:

http://www.howardforums.com/showwiki.php?title=General+Prepaid+Wiki:Prepaid+Rate+Plan+Comparison

#3 ·
Thanks for the link

Don't need a family plan.
And those two I mentioned are prepaid no contract plans. With unlimited talk, text, and they claim unlimited data too (this one doesn't matter to me) but I'm sure they slow it down after a certain amount of use.
The coverage areas are about the same, most of the places I go look like they are covered, about the only place not covered is north central PA.

WOW you only pay $100 a year, that would be just short of what I'm paying for two months now and I only have about 500 peak minutes and no text plan (have to pay for each one sent & received).
But I hardly use the phone, I went over peak minutes once or twice in 10+ years, and the most text messages in a month was like 10 or 12 but most of the time I don't even use this feature.

I don't know, I'm leaning toward Boost in the last few hours. It's basically what I'm paying now but with more features, and after 18 months of on-time payments you can get up to $15 of the monthly fee reduced ($5 every six months).

#4 ·
Coils..

I have 2 phones, AT&T.... $83 a month for both.. With rollover minutes I can not use all the minutes they give us...
Looking for a plan, their all going to screw you, so find the one that screws you the least..
Texting is included, pictures, games all that crap.. I told them to shut it all off. On talk, off. That's it.
If you go out of country let your phone service know the dates you will be gone. International plan, reduced rates..

#6 ·
Know what yah mean Bro.. If someone calls you have not heard from in awhile. They either need money, bail or want to tell you about their year since you seen them..
My phone answering message..
"Leave your name, leave your number, leave me the f#$k alone."

#9 ·
i got one of those track phones years ago for $30 with lifetime double minutes.

in the boonies it is sort of average on reception. but it will work anywhere a expensive phone will.

no contract and free paid it does everything i want it to do.

i figured it up and i think it cost me like $9 a month. with the double minutes i think i got about 700 rollover minutes on the thing.

if you talk a lot you might want triple minutes.

there about as cheap as you can go and get a cell that works for emergency use.

about once every three months i got to put $20 in it to keep it going.

the good thing is that is ALL i pay!

#10 ·
My old cell, about back when Thomas Edison was still alive, kicked the bucket..
I loved it, on, off, talk, that's it..
Battery finally swelled, but it still worked.. Put go fast tape to keep it together.
New phone now 3 months.. Still do not know how to work the damn thing..

#11 ·
"Leave your name, leave your number, leave me the f#$k alone." :lol:

"My cell phone in China was on the wall just out of reach of my hand thru the bars."
Smart a$$ :D

What I got now is a flip phone, and I know what you mean about only needing the phone and not all the other features, but the way phones are now your very limited to what you can get. Most places (around here) only offer one flip phone now, just about all they offer is smart phones, and to me they're too big and bulky.

I use it more at work to talk to co-workers then at home, if it wasn't for needing it at work I don't think I'd even have a cell phone.

Well the search will continue, hopefully I'll get time to stop in one of those places that handle multiple providers (like Best Buy) to get a better idea what plans are available from as many places as possible.

#14 ·
tanvil.

You can keep your same number.. Look on your phone bill. Somewhere on their "we" all pay a monthly service fee, to lock our phone numbers for our use if exchanging addresses or phones.
We also pay for all the welfare, food stamp recipients, who get free cell phones, oh yes we do..
Get food stamps here in Florida, pick up your "free" 250 minute cell delivered by UPS in about a week.. 911 is free, no you pay a $1.00 a month for it..
Ever wonder why every illegal and their mother wants into the U.S?
Once they learn the system.. It really is the land of milk and honey..
Now everyone get to work, pay your taxes and STFU... :loopeye:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.